The tang band ABC box resurrected! but port noise :-)

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 347
well becuase of that sound domain and sean building that dual 6.5 tang band abc box, i decided to see how loud one of my own could be. i built it to exact specs and i have built over a dozen boxes, so this abc box was done decently. im guessing its cause of the design but theirs some port noise and i was wondering if anything could be done to stop this. im using it for my home audio setup and using a parts express 110 watt plate amp. any imput would be nice. ill post pics later

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 225
i have heard of abc boxes buti dont know what they are, could you explain or post a link? oh and how do you like those tang band, i was looking at those?

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683513 thats the whole very informative link where i got the box design. well i just go the tang band 6.5" def awesome excursion and i hope they will sound good if i can fix the port noise. they can handle alot of wattage for being only 6.5 woofer. im running two at 110 watts at 8 ohm so they get 55watts rms right now

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 293
I know a way to stop that port noise forever!

Go sealed, LOL

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2473
use flared ports.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 836
Also, curve the inside corners of your box for smoother air flow. (Not sure if it would affect port noise, though.)

Silver Member
Username: Madeupname

Post Number: 189
jake, where are you in NJ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
acutally i took a closer look and the noise was due to a bad seal between the sub and box. i bought some rope caulk and fixed the problem up well. sounds amazing now

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2331
hey do you by chance have the link to the site where the guy built it step by step? i think im going to make one one day over the summer when i have time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683513

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2337
thanks man

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
doesn anyone know how to make a simple cheap subsonic filter. i have the specturm analyzer and in the abc box, crazy wild excursion occurs round 23hz. i dont want to risk damaging the subs so i want to make or buy a cheap subsonic filter.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1114
by the way speaking of this i havent seen sean on this for a while

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4735
I just decided to peak back on this site so I thought id read this first. Anyhow what I believe is the way to avoid port noise with abc boxes is to use linear teams website and convert the port area you have for your slot ports to a point where round and slot port area are equal. When you design abc boxes you have two chambers the first chamber being 66.6% and the second chamber being 33.3% of your total size but you need to account for 100% of the net airspace (usable airspace) your abc box has for the subwoofer or subwoofers and punch this amount in linear teams program and stay at linear teams recommended vent mech of .15 or below.

Heres the calculator for linear team is anyone needs it.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=ventcalculator

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1117
lol thats kinda funny right when i type that your on like 5mins lata weird how that works

Gold Member

Post Number: 4736
Yeah I have been gone quite a bit of late charlie. Ive been busy with other things of late on top of having computer problems so I havent been online much let alone surfing on ecoustics. Im using someone elses computer to post this right now as a matter of fact.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 378
HOLY SH!T!!! That guy is the fukin MAN! Did you see those half pipes, that box is god damn beautiful!

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 379
Yo sean post your computer issue maybe we can help :-) I know a lot more about computers than I do about subs lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
yeah sean how did yours turn out. did u use it for car or home use. i built it for more of a "can this be done" sorta thing plus i havnt built anything in a couple months cus college. after realizing that it wasnt the port that was making noise (bad seal between the speaker and box) it sounds amamzing. im using a parts express momo 110 watt amp for it for my college dorm setup. got 3 noise violations already.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2366
i believe seans hitting 130 or higher. its amazing i cant wait to do one. i dont think i'll do those half pipes though, they are so baddass though.

how you doing sean havent talking to you in a while? how do you have computer problems your like a computer genious lol, btw i hope your computer revolution is going great!

as far as subsonic filters go. look on sites under crossovers.. i cant rember where to find them specifically right now but i know ive seen them. also have you tried looking on ebay? oh i think i remember cardomain having something for 22$ where you plug your rca into it and then plug it into your amp and it will filter out whatever frequency model you bought.

Bronze Member
Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 22
They are called f-mods from harrison labs.

Plug directly into your RCA jacks of your amp. Basically just a high pass crossover. I you can choose from 20, 30 or 40 (i think) hertz

Gold Member

Post Number: 4738
Well I built my abc box for car use but did test it in my apartment as well on my home reciever. I hit as much as 129-130 db db in car accordind to the correction charts for my radio shack digital spl meter on 280 watts rms power for two 6.5 ich tangband woofers at 43 hz. I am convinced this box can be used for extreme low tuning if the box is properly understood (possibly using a third chamber). Trevor haha Im far from a computer genious but what I told you will happen and Ill be sure to share when that revolution comes bro. The rca plug types you refer to are called fmods and they are made by harrisson Labs and you can choose the frequency you desire. They are sold on ebay as well. I probably wont be back on for a good while again so peace to you all and God Bless.

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
yeah how low can you box hit, mine has hit as low as 21hz and you said ur running 280 watts so 140watts for each SUB! that a hell of alot of power. mine are getting 55watts rms and they punch. as for the fmods. anyone know any specs on how to make em. their pretty expensive (not when you think they could save your subs from being blown) but i was hoping to find cheap subsonic filters or possibly make one, i do go to a technical college.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4739
Well I played like 3 hz below my 32 hz tuning but no lower than that so Im not sure how low it can really play but Id assume with a third chamber done right you could effectively control cone excursion. Yeah that 280 rms power is daily use too but carefully done meaning carefull attention to distortion.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5402
sean welcome back brotha:-) good to see you on here again man:-)

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 844
Joe, I'm in Phillipsburg, right on the border of PA, halfway up NJ.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4740
Thanks James I havent forgotten ecoustics. Im just busy with a different cycle of life you know how it goes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us