Why are my Subwoofers doing this???????

Bronze Member
Username: Icex48x

Post Number: 16
I have 2 12in speakers in a bandpass box... not good speakers not good amp.. but enough.. but when i turn my music on they start to make a quite bumping sound very fast like a heart beat... but its not to the music.. did i go wrong in hooking something up? i can turn the music down and they keep doing it.. any ideas why?...... also i hooked this up bymyself ran into a lot of problems on the way i used to have it in a differnt car.. changed it out and having this problem now... so im not a 100% sure on everything i was doing but i have hooked up 3 differnt systems and only had trouble 1 other time :P lol but please help.....

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1253
go over your wiers again, look at your ground. what kind of amp and subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
using 1400 watt boss amp with sony xploids... i know there not the best but they were a present... sooo many wires to go over do you happend to know of witch wires i should be looking at.. ive rehooked my headunit 3 times now and the only thing im really not sure about is the RCA's.... and my ground isnt great but it wasnt working at all yesterday and fixed it so at least the amp is turning on today lol.... been working on this for bout a month or so.. and i dont have the money to take it to a profesion or i would :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1256
ok, for your RCA's all you have to do is make sure they are going in the SUB rca's or REAR. yoru ground could be the problem. make sure that your ground is secure and that will help. you don't need a pro to do this, just need a step by step person to show you

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 346
well if your ground isnt too good you should find another one... no paint... to the body or chassis...

get some new RCA's or find another person who has a setup and hook it up to their hu using their RCA's.. if no luck switch out Amps and than subs...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
k i gonna go mess with the ground wire agian... hopefully that will do it.. ill post later with the results..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
yea when i unplug or wiggle the RCA"s at the amp it sometimes triggers it.. and also makes it blink green/red real fast.. might just have to invest in better rca's.. i got the kit from walmart with the scorche rca's or whatever...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1257
RCA's shouldn't be that much by them selves, all you need is a 17' RCA cable, but i doubt thats your whole problem

Bronze Member
Username: Shman

Michigan United States

Post Number: 21
i would definately find a new ground. even if its not the problem, it will be later...
hopefully not invlolving fire lol

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 215
how did you wire the voice coils? make sure no bare wires are touching.

Bronze Member
Username: Shman

Michigan United States

Post Number: 22
lol, yeah short circuit=sparks (fire)....
i heart fire hahahahaha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
lol... if you want a new car go for that... but since your alittle low on cash...

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 774
unplug rca's from amp and see if it still does it. if it does then rca's not the problem. if it stops then rca or deck is the problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 72
its most likely engine noise....make sure your rca's are as far away from the other cables as possible

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i didnt wire the voice coils.. they were a gift. and in a bandpass box so will be a pain to get to.. but if that could be the prob ill def check it out.. also rca cables are on other side of car away from all wires.. but there very cheap brand... found some for like 10$ i might have to get lol and gonna fix my ground agian later today....will post tonight and hopefully it will be working.. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
When i unpluged my RCA's The beat got faster.... so what does that mean????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
and the ground is good but still doing it...

Bronze Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 79
sony's are svc I had the same problem just find another place to put your ground wire and if that dont work just rewire your whole system.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmzracer

Bentonville, Arkansas USA

Post Number: 92
if you unplug ur rcas and it still does it that eliminates the rca coables. I had this same problem and it was my amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
i rewired everything... not many places i can put the ground but it should be fine where it is... i guess it is my amp... but no idea why its messed up now worked fine in car i had it in before.. oh well Thanks a ton for everyones help...

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1027
again, if you haven't changed your ground yet, do that now. Scrape ALL paint off wherever you are going to ground it to, and make sure it's just bare metal wire. What I like to do is drill a hole right through and but a nut and bolt through the ground. Obviously, you will need a place where you can get your hands in behind. Tighten the bolt down, may even want to put a lock washer on it. That's what I do and never have problems with ground. If that doesn't work, see if you can hook up the subs on someone else's amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
So when grounding it the wire to my car i shouldnt put one of those ring terminals on the end of it? just bolt the wire itself to the metal?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 780
No. use a ring terminal and bolt the ring terminal to your chassis. scrape the paint of the place you plan to bolt it. use a bolt with a lockwasher and nut on one side. a #10 bolt will suffice.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1040
just have a loop ring on the end of the ground wire, and put a bolt right through it. Tighten down the nut and the ground should be excellent

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
well the ground is as good as its gonna get.... still not working... =/

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 794
is the ampmounted to the car? if it is maybe the amp chassis got grounded out. remove the screws used to mount the amp and lift the amp up so its not touching the car and turn it on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
no the amp isnt mounted to anything.. but maybe its touching something it shouldnt be.. ill try that later thx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
also i have a 10 disk cd changer in my trunk its hooked up but i undid the ground... could that be the problem?? should i rehook the ground wire on that too?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 795
its worth a try. have you fixed it yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
i got it fixed yesterday.. it was eitehr the ground from the 10disk cd changer or the fact my battery wire was being pinched.. but its fixed and thanks a ton for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us