Capacitor or not?!?!?!

Bronze Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 40
ok i have a rockford power hx2 12 wiht an orion 1200d runnin to it at one ohm...i almost positive my alternator in my ar is 130 amps...when i turn my premier head unit up to about like 45ish, the lights sort of dimm...i do have a power acoustick '5 farad' capacitor....so my question is, should i just leave the capacitor out or should i hook it up...im just owndering because i've heard on this forum that a cap puts even more straight on your alternator..thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6008
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 729
i have one of those caps too. they suck and are not really 5 farads.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 426
i'd use it but don't expect it to save you. Its more like a rollbar on your cars suspension. You can throw your car around without one but your car will show some signs of fatigue when pushed hard. Put in a rollbar and it'll help take "some" of the roll out of your ride bu you'll still have some roll(you need a rollcage to almost completely eliminate it).

A cap will help your system but only help to a point. If you want to ensure the longevity of your electrical system get upgraded alty and wiring.

Bronze Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 41
say i decide to get another like battery in my trunk instead of using the cap, will this help my problem and take strain off of my battery and alternator...if so, how much do they usually run for and what would be the chances of me hooking it up by myself?

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 576
good analogy

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5381
Don't spend the money on extra battery. It'll end up costing as much as HO alternator.
Caps can be useful, when used properly.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 732
Where can he get a high output alternator for less than a battery?

Bronze Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 42
how do ya recommend me using my cap....i'm just abotu to hook it up just because it is digital and it like shuts my system off when i'm drawing too much power....thats personally about all it does for me..so then i won't like take my system to the extreme because that will shut it off when im doing below 12v

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 733
What? your capacitor shuts your system down? does it control the remote wire or something?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5383
Lucus, search under "accessories" section. There were quite a few links with address/phone number of HO alternator manufacturers. Depending on your car, you can pick one up for $135.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 735
i want at least 200 amp and i cant find one for my '01 jeep grand cherokee

Bronze Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 43
i don't know what the deal is..i know it used to when i had my audiobahn a2300hct hooked up...like i'd watch the cap and the amp would take it under 12 volts and then the system would stop pounding, and then after like 15 minutes it would come back on....im not sure...ha so just opinions i guess...shoudl i hook it back up or should i just leave it go...i mean i went from my hometown to my college which is abotu an hour wiht the system on about 35-38 on the premier head unit and it was alright...i mean i guess its just whehter or not i shoudl just hook the stupid cap up or just put it in my basement...let me know

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 736
the cap shouldn't shut your system off. maybe it was wired wrong? its pretty simple though. Plus goes to Plus and negative to negative

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 339
No his cap is supposed to do that, it keeps the voltage from getting to low (according to what he says) which imo is a good thing it will keep you from killing your battery and everything else. Although your alt will still be working extremely hard the entire time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5384
Marcus, A2300HCT is a power hungry amp. Unless you have HO alternator, cap/extra battery won't help much.
Keep your volume down till you upgrade your alternator.
I tested HCT before and at mid volume, it sucked up 60A in a heartbeat.

Bronze Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 44
i dont' have the a2300hct anymore..i'm runnin the orion 1200d as of now off a 130 amp alternator at one ohm...yes i know that amp was ridiculously hungry although it was a hell of an amp...course that led me into thinking that since the amp was so good that audiobauns subs woudl be sweet too but i was fooled on that one

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11376
capacitor voltage parallels circuit voltage.
This is why they will never function to boost voltage if rails sag.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us