My Circuit City has Eclipse in Stock now / Compared Products

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3294
I was looking for a HU on friday at CC and i noticed they had Eclipse in stock which i had heard they were coming to CC eventually. I was looking around and noticed they had the HU's in stock and amps. I really liked the new look of there Amps alot. Looks neat and small. I think they are alot better then the new Alpines that BestBuy have in stock. 2006 Eclipse Line is looking nice and i dont think they will go down hill just yet. The only other thing i liked at CC where the kicker amps they had and Pioneer HU's.

I didnt have a HU in one of my vehicles so i was thinking of starting a Budget system and starting with a HU that whould do the job and not cost me alot. Since CC is authorized dealer of Pioneer and Eclipse i was comparing the Eclipse CD2000 to the Pioneer 4800 model. They both look nice in there own ways. I liked how eclipse had 3 5Volt preouts and was HD radio ready. But i also liked how the Pioneer was face detachable and had the option of XM or Sirius. The Eclipse offered the traditional ESN security and the salesman mentioned that if somone stole my Eclipse radio that they whould replace it within 1 year. Thats cool but i rather stick with the detachable faceplate so i ended up getting the Pioneer 4800 mainly for that reason. The only detachable faceplate Eclipse makes is there entry level HU CD1000. So i purchased the 4800 for $179.99 free installation.

Took them like 1 hour to install a radio with the Additional wiring which made it a snap to plug in and install. All mostly College age kids or younger. Overall im pleased with the final results and sound quality the Pioneer 4800 gave. Next im going to get a 4 channel amp and 4 coaxial speakers to finish out my budget install. I think if you live in a good area with no theft then you should be fine getting the Eclipse CD2000 but either way you cant go wrong with these 2 units. Hope this helped anyone thats looking for a budget system. Ask me any questions if you need help.

My budget system so far:

Pioneer DEH-4800

PPI PCX 440 / 40 x 4 @ 4 ohm probably next

CDT 6.5 neox 2 way coaxial new release for the front.

Looking for a 6x9 to replace the stock crap in the back. Since i wont be having subs for a while im thinking this will fit the bill. Glasswolf mentioned Alpine Type R's for the rear and i was not sure. Let me know experts..

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3295
by the way the Eclipse cost $199.99 and didnt have its own LPF for subs which means you will have to get a amp that has LPF with a crossover and use it on the amp. No big deal but just somthing you should know.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 528
unless you work at circut city I would never buy from them.
I just go to circut city when I am all blazed and crank all the HU's to make a comparrison, eclipse does sound nice but you should check out ebay if your a budget buyer.
Just my 2 cents...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6488
"""Let me know experts."""
- i honestly thought of u MO as 1 of the experts here cause of the variety of products u own...lol

which backs clearly backs up a statement i made here

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/207433.html

Well it just so happens i'm the owner of 2 Rs as u can see in my thread https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/189456.html

U did not mention what kinda car it is .....

if were me (& u said u don't intend soon 2 put in subs) - i would get a decent pair of SQ 8" subs in ur rear dash (if it can fit) rather than 6x9s . So u will have a gr8 front stage & some decent bass off the back , maybe some ID or JL subs .....

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3296
Thanks Rovin, I dont call myself a expert or think im a expert in caraudio. I learn from more experienced people such as Glasswolf and Jonathan and Isaac and James Longo and many others and also thru personal reading and self install work, trial and error. However, i have spent countless hours in caraudio and dont underestimate anyones knowledge or experience on here. I am independant type of person but definetly like learning from others no matter how many posts they have. Anyways..

I went ahead and returned the 4800 back to CC today simply because i want to upgrade to the Premier versian of this unit which offers 4 volt preouts compared to 2 volts that the 4800 had.

Ill probably get the Premier 560 for my HU. Just cant beat it for the price and options and sound quality it gives.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6290.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6309.html

Both which are cheaper then CC's $200 out the door price. No thanks. Ill stick to online. I just was in the mood to buy somthing friday... lol

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 69
I'm not a fan of this years eclipse line up. Was looking at them in crutchfield when I got off work the other day. Then I told their salesperson who offered to help me that this years version sucked. Then he said well I bet your head unit isn't this advanced. I was like which one? The pioneer 860? The eclipse 8445? Or the eclipse 8053? He said oh. By the way, the 8445 is my fave, which is what is currently in my car. But I think this years models are overpriced with less features.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6492
The ol impulse buy eh - lol !...

U r definitly 1 of the top 10 knowledgable in my on this forum which is full of a bunch of newb teens .
I too take the time 2 learn about stuff - u & i think alike . Hey if there's anything i need 2 know - just open bcae1 & other sites too & usually find my answers . I just never really have the cause 2 do as many systems as some other ppl but when the need arises , i know what 2 do ...

Premier - yeh most def they always have a few more features & higher preouts than the reg Pioneer

its $6 more here but u get FREE S/H ! - http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15756

i noticed that 580 has a lesser 2.2v which could be a consideration

If ever i need another HU personally i'd try Eclipse cause i never tried any b4 like maybe this 1 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6665.html
But right now i'd say Premier is very close 2 the top of them all ........

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3312
Thanks rovin, actually the 580 has 4 volt preouts. All the Premier versians should be 4V and Up.

Take a look at this rovin

2076_58530983_291078841%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/premier/ product/specs/0,,2076_58530983_291078841,00.html

4 volts.

I dont get why the 560 whould be 2 volts. Must be a mistake.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3313
Brandon just noted to me that the 580 had less crossover features aswell. I guess they made up for it with the OEL. Lol

Ill stick with the 480 in this case.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6507
i was looking @ it on that online retailer site (& NOT the Pio site) saw they had it as 2.2v - they messed up & had me thinking wrong too .

Hey 2 be damn sure u could always put the extra $ & get the 860 which we both own & i know u love - lol . But ya - u do feel like a kid @ xmas trying new car audio stuff u haven't b4 ......

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3316
I may save a few dollars more and just get the p680 instead since it has a better EQ and looks nicer with a couple more options.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 425
Eclipse higher end models will honestly blow you away. Pioneer Premiere doesn't have anything on it and the Alpine Bass Engine Pro only comes close(has a few extra things but EQ wise Eclipse is killer). You will not find an EQ that as a 7 to 10 band fully adjustable parametric EQ. Its hard enough to find a good parametric EQ(this allwos you to adjust the Q factor, basically hope the frequency slopes on/off sharp, flat, or in between). But to have one that on each of the bands you can adjust is incredible. Also the older models like the 8443,8445,8454,8455 all have the better 10band(5 high, 5mid) EQ which is probably more complex than what 75% of you guys woul deal with( not to put people down but not many people really ger in depth to that point and/or have the ear to tune it right). This 10 band EQ(now 7 or 9 on the newer models) has fully adjustable frequencies. On my 8454 the mid is fully adjustable from 63hz-16khz and the 5 high bands are adjustable from 20hz-16khz. or basically the mid has 25 different available frequencies while the highs have 20. So hypothetically I could have my first 5 band(mids) all under 500hz and all my highs between 2khz-16khz. Also the 84 series had the only 8v preouts on the market. While this won't make or break a HU it is a nice feature as it gets the most signal to an amp and allows you to run the amp at less gain and less chance of distortion or clipping. I've tried just about every HU from Sony, Blaupunkt, Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer(and Premiere)and Panasonic, JVC, RF, and a few others and really never found as good a HU for my needs as Eclipse. Eclipse excels in front stage only setups who mainly listen to CDs or MP3s/WMA. The Alpine does better for front and rear setups and 5.1 setups but actually the new Eclipse with the add-on pieces are very competitive. I currently got the 8454 and won't give this thing up and it replaced my aging 8443 which I used for 2yrs(longest HU i've used). And if you have a chance to buy a 8053, jump on it. It will be better than 95% of the HU out there. I'd say save your money and get a HU that is more known for superior SQ capabilities rather than the one thats known for the dolphins.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3317
Alteraudio, i have owned the Eclipse CD8454 probably longer then you have. I was threw with it before you knew what to do with it. Yes the 10 band eq is nice with each band adjustable to your liking. Its a nice deck for SQ use and front stage. It is a killer SQ deck. It doesnt offer you satillite radio. It doesnt offer you HD radio ready. It doesnt offer you a detachable faceplate and a crackhead that doesnt know anything about eclipse can steal it and you will be left with nothing. It is extremely hard to get use to let alone adjusting the 10 band eq etc. I owned one for 1 year and i sold it on ebay. It costs more then all the HU's i have mentioned today. It cost me $500 for a new one thru a dealer. Very expensive even now on ebay. NO less then $300 for a used one. Its very nice looking but also boring and out of date. Its great for a audiophile who knows what they are doing but 80% of the people wont be able to get the hang of this unit like they whould with the Pioneer Premier and Clarion and Alpine and Kenwood Excelon units. Again the Pioneer Premier 860 offers 24 bit brown which is what you want to look for in a SQ deck> I believe the cd8454 also offers you that at a much higher price. Why buy that when you can get a brand new premier with that feature at a lower price plus a 2 year warranty to go along with a self install. Sorry but you cant beat the price and feautures with Pioneer Premier. It is up there with any brand HU. I used to love alpine but they suck now for what you pay for. Build quality is not good. Pioneer and Eclipse are the only brands i will go for but for overall price and bottem line. I will take Pioneer all day long.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 429
well since i'm not part of that 80% thats why I stated I liked it because it fit my tastes. And I while you may have been using the Eclipse longer than me I was using the 8443 and 8053 and testing the P9 combo while you were using the 8454 and some misc Alpine units. I have no need to HD radio or satellite radio so getting something with less of what I need is not what I needed. And while the older 84 series did suffer from this, the new 2000series and up all come ready for HD or Sirius. I would be very interested in the 7000 series either CD or AVN as the CD has 11band 3way or 7band factory and the AVN has the DC add-on for some pretty nice stuff. As for Pioneer, they are all yours.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1724
I still wouldnt pay ANY monthly fee to listen to the damn radio, get real!! also whats with the built in eqs? I want a hu without any type of filitering, I like my external equalizers mounted under the radio..

Username: Nanbakat

Mexico CityMexico

Post Number: 4
There was an error earlier in this posting.

MO states:

"The only detachable faceplate Eclipse makes is there [sic] entry level HU CD1000."

This is incorrect because Eclipse's best model the CD7000 also has that capability. However, every model in between the low and high-end units has a fixed faceplate.

If it weren't for this oversight on the part of the Eclipse engineers I would buy the CD5000 for sure. It has 8v preouts and memory-stick input! But without the detachable faceplate it's just too risky for my tastes. I don't want to be biting my nails every time I leave my car parked.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3318
Thanks for making that correction nanbakat. Ive always told people to get Eclipse.

AlterAudio - Maybe you you dont need satellite radio and HD radio and ipod but there are many many other people that are looking for that in a HU that dont know to much about eq's and crossovers. You should know alittle about that since you sell audio. Its all marketing and trying to sell the younger crowd and people who are car audio literate more features that they like instead of making a bette built HU. Alpine is starting to be a good example of this with bestbuy and companies like sony are known for this. Hopefully Eclipse doesn't go down hill from there. I really like this line of eclipse because it appeals to the public and audiophiles like us. Eclipse will be busy on the phone alot more this year. lol Hopefully there service gets better because they werent very knowledgeable or helpfull on the phone.

I agree with nanbakat and i mentioned this to the guy at the CC i was at. I said Eclipse whould make alot more money if all there units were face detachable like just about every pioneer and alpine and kenwood thats out these days. If you live in a good part of town then you shouldnt have any problems. If you live closer to cities then you will have onlookers so i always go with detachable face security even though i have a alarm.

Alteraudio - I have used many Alpines,Pioneers,Eclipse,Kenwood Exceleon XXV-01D thats probably as nice as any Eclipse out now. 24 bit burr brown tech can be found in it and in the Premier 860 and 7800 model. Overall Pioneer HU's for the price is unbeatable for what quality you get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us