Sub problem...noise when there shouldn't be

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 444
OK my friend installed her system in her car (her boy friend did) and here the problem:

"Whenever you push on the brake or turn on the lights, the subs go, they go like whoomp
and the cd isn't even playing"

So I have no clue what they may have doen wrong!

what do you think?

thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1126
whats they system and the car?

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 445
Honda Accord

Phoenix Gold Octane somthing or other amp and 2 12" phoenix gold subs

Alpine cd player

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 446
OCTANE-R 8.0:1

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
the subs are makin this noise when the deck is off? or does it do this when they only play CD's? if you know how to wire, look at the wireing job her BF did, he could have crossed some wired, or not even hooked up a grownd. he could have crossed over the power fuse and have direct power to the amp, and its getting to much and withdrawing to much power from the bat, so when you turn on a light, it turns off and has some sort of reation

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 447
the deck is off...she said the faceplate can be taken off and it still does it

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1448
Sometimes cars wiring systems have to be bypassed in order to get the system to run properly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
well this system isn't running proberly LOL

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1450
LMAO!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1135
Mike, if you can go to her house and look at his wiering job, he could have it wired them to the wrong ohm or used one VC or have like something seriouesly wrong with the way he wired the amp

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1453
Well, I don't believe in the whole "you can't use only ONE VC of a DVC subwoofer" thing.

The extra VC is just added for more wiring options. But look at the Volfenhags I have for example. They don't come in an SVC model, only DVC 4 ohms. So you're telling me that the subwoofer can be used one way and one way only? (with both VC's that is)

I've run DVC subs with one VC used, and NEVER had any problem. It doesn't change anything about the driver's capabilities.

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 448
Yeah, I would look but they are about a 2 hour drive away...lol

So Im in no rush to drive over!

But im telling them this over MSN...I now know for a FACT they had it hooked up for a wrong ohm load! So i told them to go swap it with what goold ol Rockfords site showed

so we'll see

Gold Member

Post Number: 1138
wo wo wo wo!! you have wired subs and only used 1 VC?? i heard thats EXTREEEMLY bad for the subs and causes LOTS OF PROBLEMS! but i guess if you did it then i guess not...

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1457
Well, I asked my Dad before I did it (honestly, electronics genius), and he sent me like a 2 page long email about the functions of voice coils and how wiring up one of the VCs on a DVC woofer wouldn't cause a problem.

I'd have to say his home system gives a lot of fair car system comparisons a run for their money. 12 pairs of Advent AS2's wired to a Carver M-1.0t in series parallel wiring. The linear excursion from the woofers is hardly anything at all. All 24 of the 6.5" woofers work as one HUGE cone movement. It's preposterous the amount of bass. The AS2's aren't highly expensive, but he tested them next to a pair of PSB Gold speakers (about $1.5K a pair) and found the SQ/SPL/powerhandling of a $300 pair of speakers to be equal to that of the PSB's so he went with the Advents (obviously it saves money, and for the nearly identical performance, why not).

But yea, it's amazing. It makes my CV V-12F's look like whimpy speakers lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1140
if they have the wrong ohm load, they can fry the amp, so before they do anything make sure they get this right LOL. what are the specs on the subs DVC 2 or 4 ohm or SVC anything?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1459
Yea, definitely make sure they even know what the VC capabilities of the subs are first.

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 449
Subs are dual vc configure...they didnt know the ohm so I believe that they were dual 4 ohm.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/octane-zrspeakers.html

All I know is that they are 2 12" OCTANE-ZR 12d2/12d4

not 100% sure on ohm, but the person who has this set up before them sounded like he knew what he was doing. And dual 2 ohm is the only way his amp would run as the specs says its a 2 ohm amp.

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 450
**dual 2**

error up there!^^^^

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1364
did i just read advent, LOL wtf, advent sucks azz atleast the am10 subwoofer does, i have it and it has sh1tty sq and im pretty sure that my stock speakers are louder, it does take a beating though, its rated at 50wrms and i gave it 200watts and played a 20hz tone free air and its still alive LOL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us