Wire two subs to amp does it split the power?

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 217
Got two new subs and going to wire them as such:

Upload

the amp is one ohm stable and puts out 1500 watts at one ohm, now does this mean that each speaker will get 750? Important because the speakers I am putting in (JL audio w6v) are rated at 400 rms. Also since my amp has two sets of pos/neg terminals I take it I could wire each sub in parallel and then take each sub to its own + and - on the amp?

SOrry for such basic questions but this is my first multi sub install and I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 555
look in your manual, my amp is like that but if you do it like that each channel can only take in 4 ohms

i would just do it like the diagram

what amp is it?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 218
It is a Hifonics 1500 D, I don't think it says anything about this in the manual but I will double check. The reason I want to do it like this is because I am going to use two seperate boxes which will not be next to each other so it would be a lot easier to just wire each box seperately to the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1101
yea your best bet, is to have a 4 ohm load, and wire each sub at 2 ohm in each channel, (if its a 2 channle)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1102
if you use that much power on the JL's your almost to the black zone, and they'll void the worrenty if you blow them

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 219
It is a mono amp it just has two sets of inputs, I thought, for just this situation. I know the Hifonics are over rated so if the power is split, it would be 750 watts to each sub and figure in reality they are getting 500 or so?

Please let me know if my thinking here is wrong I don't want to damage these new subs......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
i don't think they will be over rated by that much, i dont' know much about hifonics, but i actualy hear they are good amps, so probably be especting about... 650-700, not sure though. be carful on how much with the W6v2's i have a pair my self, if you give them too much power JL WILL NOT replace them if they are blown

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 220
I checked my manual it looks like I can hook up to both sets of terminals because it shows a hookup like this and states "2 ohm minimum" which I guess is one ohm to the amp.

NOL from what you say, perhaps I better play it safe and wire these in series for a 4 ohm load on the amp and 500 watts advertised. 250 watts to each sub that way? I guess that is better than blowing them. Let me know what you think if you would, and I do appreciate your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
NOL? if i were you i'd find a good 2 channle amp that was RMS at like 900 or so at 4ohm or 1 ohm, traid your amp in and get that one. then wire your subs to that spesification. thats what im going to do when i sell my subs

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 730
That amp is fine,just watch your gains a.When You get both speaker wires from each box twist the both positives of the wire and both nagatives and put it on + and - on the amp.Dont need to wire it seperatly on the amp.I had the same amp as you so I know what your saying.Just make sure the jumper on the sub goes from + to + and - to -.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 221
Thomas, thanks for the info but what if I want to wire it seperate (I am going to use 12 gauge speaker wire) to it might get a little tight trying to twist it and then plug two wires into one hole. Is it the same difference just to run them all as singles so I would have two pos and two negs running to the amp? Also I might just give it a try in series and if it sounds good leave it at that, I guess I would always have the option of wiring in parallel if I wanted to try that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1122
try connecting the wires under your trunk, like under the mat, then have 2 wires + and - go up to the amp

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 224
Well, I think I solved this issue; it was my mistake to buy two subs that did not match well to my amp. Rather than having to replace the amp as well, the place I ordered the subs from let me change my order to a single 12w7, which, single voice coil 3 ohm will match up perfectly to my amp, 750 rms from the amp and that is the rms for the sub.

I was looking forward to two subs but the 7 series is a step up and the 12 vs 10's should still be plenty loud I would think, plus I don't have to worry about overpowering the sub.

Thanks again for everyone's advice I guess I should have thought about the power issues before but luckily they had not shipped yet and allowed me to change my mind.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1047
if you wire them at 1 ohm you may damage the subs

you could just put wire each sub to 8 ohms then put each - to each + on the amp..so all 4 terminals will be taken up and the amp will see a 4 ohm load. that way you will not hurt the subs

Upload

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 225
Thanks blaine that was what I was going to do but I changed my order to a single 12 inch w7, at 3 ohms my amp puts out 750, which is perfect for the w7.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
the w7 is niceeeee

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 254
Thanks blaine that is what I thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1050
"you could just put wire each sub to 8 ohms then put each - to each + on the amp..so all 4 terminals will be taken up and the amp will see a 4 ohm load. that way you will not hurt the subs"

i dont know what i was saying and i know you have iot all igured out but what a meant was...

you could just wire each sub to 8 ohms then put EACH NEGATIVE TO EACH- and AND EACH + TO EACH + on the amp..so all 4 terminals will be taken up and the amp will see a 4 ohm load. that way you will not hurt the subs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us