Distortion in speakers

Gold Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 1006
Probably a simple answer but I have always wondered. I have a 100 watt guitar amp (VERY loud, can easily shake my whole house). I have an electric guitar and the amp has 2 12" Celestion speakers in it. How come I can crank the distortion and those speakers will not blow? I am thinking it is a different "distortion" but what is that difference? Same with car speakers. When I play any music with guitar distortion, why doesn't that blow the speakers? Probably a simple answer but just wondering...

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 310
most guitar amps i have delt with will reduce the volume on the distortion before it hits the speaker... so its louder... but not.. it's an intentional distortion.... like my amp gets quieter when i turn the distortion on... also the distortion could be a digital distortion so it's not really upping the volume anyway.. but no matter how you look at it it is all processed to where its safe for the speakers to play em..

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1440
Not to mention, guitar/PA speakers are designed to be HIGHLY efficienct and handle lots of power, but really, as far as sound quality, they don't have it, at least not for the type of bass we like here :-).

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5755
Distortion doesn't hurt a speaker in any way. Power is the only thing that can kill a speaker, be it thermally or mechanically.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1441
Jonathan is completely right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us