AA Assasins?

Bronze Member
Username: Thaphunkjunk

Orrville, Ohio United states

Post Number: 42
ive been hearing some good stuff about these subs and i thinking about getting a set of 12s since theyre so cheap. but, i was wondering what these subs can be compared to , since they arent that big i havent heard them in person.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1435
Comparable to...

Kicker CompVR
Cerwin Vega V-Max
Between RE RE and RE SE

Either way though, you'll be happy, they're very loud. Excellent SQ as well. I have a pair, and love them!

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1359
tyler i wish i lived closer to you, because i really want to compare the assassins to the atlas to see if they really are louder and sound better.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1438
Hahaha! Well, I was curious too. I have never heard the Atlas, and the Assassin was one of those "I need rid of my Volfenhags, so why not buy the newest untested subwoofer out!" compulsive buys...

Turned out to be a good one. Are your Atlases ported? They'd probably be louder as of now, because I've yet to port mine...Should be getting the wood this week sometime though!

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1361
no my atlas 15's are sealed,(no room to go ported) and acutally i haven't heard both of them, just one sealed running off a kx200.2, so hopefully when i get both boxes made and get my RE12.1 pushin them i hope to gain about 6db's, and just the one sealed was as loud as my friends 12cvr ported to 32hz with 400watts, so hopefully with both sealed with about 300-350watts each it will be in the high 130's low 140's in db.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1473
Well, what I didn't understand is why AA didn't make a 15" Assassin...How can they say it's a drop in replacement for the Atlas, when some people have the Atlas 15"?!?

I doubt a pair of 12" Assassins will be louder than a paif of 15" Atlases. Mine get 400W RMS each (I think they can take about 500-600W RMS personally). They're pretty dang loud for sealed.

You'll get more than 350W RMS to each subwoofer from that RE 12.1 as well. It's underrated, and has shown to do between 1400-1600W RMS. So you'll be happy. I'm just running an A8000T that gives me the full 800W RMS lol, no less, no more.

I don't know what my SPLs hits are, I've only got a cheap RadioShack SPL meter. It's alright, but it's not that accurate.

I just sold one of my old Volfs. last night for $50 (used lol), and that gives me about $100 to my name hehe, I think I might be investing in the new components I want soon...

Bronze Member
Username: Thaphunkjunk

Orrville, Ohio United states

Post Number: 44
does anyone have assasins that could estimate what theyre hitting? and in what setup

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1366
ya i've wondered that to, why the assassins don't come in 15's, but i wonder if the sq is better from the atlas to the assassins cause if it is then omg, cause i know the atlas has some great sq. LOL i know the componets, i had some POS sonys(came with car) so then i upgraded to alpine best move ever, and theres a lot of factors that determin what your setup will hit, but if i had to take a guess it would be in the mid to high 130's.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1352
the Arsenals, not the Assassins, are the drop in replacements for the Atlas.

i've neve heard anything bad about any of thoes subs though.

Tyler - hows the SQ of thoes Assassins sealed?? i think i'm just gonna get a couple Assassins. the price is great, i just hope they are good and not one of thoes "you get what you paid for" deals. lol

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1353
sorry, i retract my first statment, lol. i could have swarn i remember reading that the other way around.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1370
i don't think there one of those you get what you pay for deals, cause my atlas's were only $105 for the 15 and IMO they have better sq than a w7, and get pretty loud for only 300watts.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1355
i had a 13W7 and it sounded great...at high volumes. it just didn't seem to have any presence or detail at lower volumes. had to crank it up for it to sound good, but they it would just take over, lol.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1497
"The Assassin 12 is a perfect drop-in replacement for the Atlas 12. It shares the same impedance as well as very similar T/S specs. However, the frequency response is flatter and it plays louder with less power. (See the enclosure page for more details.)"

"The Arsenal 12 works great as a drop-in for the Avalanche 12. With nearly identical thermal power handling, it works well with similar amplifier power. However, it will play louder with less power in the same boxes. It also features a much flatter frequency response thanks to its aluminum shorting ring. (See enclosure info page for details."

Just clearing things up lol :-).

The Assassins are loud as heck in sealed IMO. Play some sine wave tests on frequencies below 30Hz, and your head will feel like it's going to explode. That is, if you're sitting inside the car. Outside the trunk, they're loud, but not like a ported enclosure would be. But the depth from a sealed enclosure has a nice punchy tight sound. I'm going ported for some extra SPL and powerhandling. Eventually I'll upgrade to an amp that does around 1000-1200W RMS to really see these babies open up :-).

The SQ is amazing. For $75, I can't think of any better driver. Even something from JL. JL might have some drivers that meet up in SQ for the price, but not in combination with the SPL these Assassins produce. I still think they can beat out a pair of CVR's in an SPL predicament, it's just gotta depend on the user, and how he/she applies the power.

My friend has the CVR's and I go head to head with him (sealed vs. ported) and he just won't admit that the Assassins have better sound quality. But to him SQ = loudness hehehe. We'll see though once I get my Assassins ported. I hope I don't get shown up again heh.

Yea, my friend came up last night to buy one of my Volfs. off me, and I heard the one he had running at 500W RMS from a Bazooka amp, right after I showed him my new Assassins, dang, I don't know how I stood having those Volfs. lol. I felt bad selling it to him...

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1373
ya imo the atlas's have a "heavier" sound to them than the w7's, but its all personal prefrence.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1510
I love the video on ROE of the 15" Atlases playing Late Night Tip, and Speakerboxxx Intro.

I actually sat there the other night and listened/watched it over and over like it was a song or something hehe.

I noticed though, the high bass area Late Night Tip, they drop out. I think that's one thing the Assassins improved on a bit, and that's the upper range, they don't roll off so quickly, but they still maintain the lower ranges of the Atlas, but supposedly flatter. That probably doesn't make much sense, but that's what I hear when I compare what I see in videos and what I hear from mine.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1374
LOL i have that vid saved on my computer, its awsome looks like they have more than 18mm of excursion, and they do roll-off around 60hz, but after talkin to james longo, he said if i put them in a smaller box that they would have better high end response.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1512
Yea, 1 cu. ft. or lower is better for high end response. At least, that's what Chad from AA told me about the Assassins.

Silver Member
Username: Darkale85

Averil park , Ny Renn

Post Number: 104
how do u think 2 assassins would sound in a sperate slot port box 1.5 or so cubic foot tuned to around 35 hurtz?with clost to 300 watts each rms?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1514
They need 2 cu. ft. And 32Hz is the optimum tuning frequency for them...

The wattage will be enough to get them moving, but mine take 400W RMS, and sound great!

Silver Member

Averil park , Ny Renn

Post Number: 105
but in the box that i specifyed they would sound allright atleast right? like a bit better then 2 jl w0s?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1516
They'd sound dang good! .5 cu. ft. is a pretty big difference though, but it should work pretty well. I'd say it'd sound as good or better than the W0's and definitely be louder.

Silver Member

Averil park , Ny Renn

Post Number: 106
yeah louder is what i ment my bad every one that i show my system to goes damn lol but now i want to shake windows ya know?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1520
Hehe, the Assassins will give you that extra bump you're looking for :-).

Now, the Arsenals, well, you'd be even more impressed.

Silver Member

Averil park , Ny Renn

Post Number: 107
but they probly need like twice the power i have and space my box is lol

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1523
True true...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums