Very excited (13w7 arrives tomm.)

Username: Skelly

Post Number: 1
i had to tell somebody. i already have the 1000/1 amp and deh p80 deck and im putting the 13w7 in a small sealed box. its going in a 95 lincoln continental. ive always had audiobahn and the 13 is going to have push through leather, also i have never heard one but im sure im in for a treat. im hopin i can at least hit 140 db. im not sure if thats unreasonable for that sub or not. i paid 900 for the amp and 799 for the 13w7 with the matching sealed box both with 2 year warranty. ill post pics as soon as i get it.

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1099
congrats

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6388
Should be a shweeeeet system ! ...

Bronze Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 43
$799!!!! for that sub with a 2 year warranty!!! That thing better hit 140 dbs and have some amazing SQ else I would be really angry at whoever you bought it from.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexander7123

Old Lyme, CT USA

Post Number: 16
definitely want to see pics ..

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 499
you paid $900 for that amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wowm you got ripped off. any ways, why would you pay so much for an amp that puts out 1000. that is way overpriced.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1352
ya for that price you could of gotten 2 re12.1's hooked one up to each vc and gave that sub 2000watts.

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 212
Hey I would bring him down here, he is hyped and understandably so. If he could have gotten his stuff elsewhere for cheaper who cares it is too late now and let him enjoy his purchases! Nice choice on the sub from what I have read anyway!

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 213
NOT bring him down here sorry for the typo

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 44
He is right. You did get a great sub. That was never in doubt. I am sure it will sound great too! Make sure to take pictures for all of us!

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 505
i didnt say he didnt get a good sub. just overpriced amp.

it would have been better for yo if you did get 2 re 12.1, and hooked to each voice coil and then the w7 would have 2000 watts rms compared to 1000 watts rms, for the same price.

2 12.1's are the price of that 1000/1 you bought.

it doesnt matter, enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5740
Don't ever buy a Zapco amp if you think the JL is overpriced.

2000W RMS= 3db more than 1000W RMS assuming the sub doesn't bottom out. Not a huge amount of difference, and the 1000/1 is the better built amplifier. I'd rather have it than the 12.1 in all honesty.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1620
If bought online, JL has no warranty......goodluck....

Bronze Member
Username: Akula_class

Post Number: 25
For the prices he paid he most likely got them from an authorized shop. Online prices are a bit cheaper. Good choice on the amp I'd say, it's done me well.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 806
Heh - online dosnt mean no warranty - online (generally) means no warranty through JL, but many of the online internet sites (woofersetc, and their AAA rating with the better business bereau come to mind) cover their sold products with a warranty of their own.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 68
thats flucking rediculus man 900 for 1000 watts ............wow

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5378
No one said quality was cheap. Take a look at Ferrari vs Civic. Yes they're both cars with 4 wheels, but one costs more for a reason.

Bronze Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 37
honestly never heard a 13w7 jl... only the the w3's and they sounded terrible, but seeing as how these are 6x's the price im sure theyll poun! is 140db's possible with that sub?

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 206
usually shops charge about a dollar a watt, so a 1000/1 that puts out 1000watts usually costs $1000 no joke! same goes with the 13w7, i honestly would buy that from an around home shop and pay the extra just to have the warrantee. also when those subs came out they retailed for around $1000 also! so seeing that he got an amazing quality system with components that are perfectly made for each other, that will be loud and meet his needs in sq and spl, and will probably outlast him in the long run(thats what jl says if you run them the way they say to) all for just $1700- thats a full system that he will be able to re-sell for a price very close to that if he wanted to. also the w7's are not dual voice coil, and they are 3ohm. and 140 is very possible with that sub if the install is right.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6395
Hey all - give the guy a chance 2 answer back , who knows , maybe he bought it off a local AUTHORISED dealer & is getting a warranty 4 it , .......

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Trinidad & Tobago West...

Post Number: 426
quit hating on him lol

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 207
i wasnt

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2999
"also the w7's are not dual voice coil, and they are 3ohm"

what are you talking about? they are dual 1.5ohms.

"wowm you got ripped off. any ways, why would you pay so much for an amp that puts out 1000. that is way overpriced."

i would rather overpay and use the jl audio 1000/1 then use an audiobahn amp.

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 208
my bad

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 209
oooh i was thinkin that it was set up the same as the 8, 10, and 12w7. :-P

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 245
"also the w7's are not dual voice coil, and they are 3ohm"

what are you talking about? they are dual 1.5ohms.

^^^^^^^

All of the w7's are single voice coil 3 ohm, except for the 13w7, which is dual 1.5 ohm.

And those prices are a very fair deal, if he got them from a local authorized dealer.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3006
ohhhh i didn't know that lewass. my apologies to Adam. lol. whenever i check the specs on w7s i always look up the 13w7s so i assumed. thanks for setting me straight lewass.

Post Number: 2
i bought from an authorized dealer. thanks for all the feedback guys. 2 hours till pickup lol

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3010
kyle are you getting the box from jl audio or another custom box? if you are getting the custome box from jl audio then that price for the sub is good.

Username: Jerome

Post Number: 7
If he can afford it thats not getting ripped off and i would go with a ported box

ps 1000/1 are $550 here

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1353
i wasn't hatin, in all honesty i would rather have my atlas's then w7's, but that overpriced for that amp, around here its $699 for the amp and $599 for the sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 89
if i was him who cares how much i payed i got just about one of the best sounding subs for money wit a matching amp and it has a warranty

cant stand jl haters

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 244
Best sounding subs for the money? You could probably pick up a pair of Mags for that price...

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
But hey, not hating on your system, it will sound awesome I bet.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 915
Seems like there is a bit of jealousy goin down here! lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5746
"Seems like there is a bit of jealousy goin down here! lol"

It's because JL is "mainstream". Because JL is "mainstream", people go and find a product that most have never heard of. Kind of like the people that want to claim they knew of an underground band before they hit it big, it gives them some sense of pride as if they are now masters of the music industry because they know of someone that you don't. So with this pride, they spread the word on every internet forum in the free world so everyone else can have their opportunity to have something unique and different. Before long, it isn't so unique and different anymore. The product is now "mainstream" and people are accused of "jumping on the bandwagon", regardless of if it was an intelligent decision based upon comparing it with competitors in the price range. And since the product that the originating person found isn't so unique anymore, this starts a search for the next product nobody has ever heard of and the process starts all over again :-).

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3016
i couldn't agree with you more.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5747
But I'm sure that I'll get the typical "he's just pissed because he payed x amount of dollars for JL when *insert current forum b0ner* is better" response *rolleyes*. I've been accused of it before and the only JL stuff I have is the amps (which were accumulated, not bought).

I don't see the point in eliminating certain products from your list just because they're out there. I bet half of the people that are on car audio forums putting down "jumping on the bandwagon" are driving Honda Civics and Toyota Camrys :-) I'm all for choosing what will do the job best, regardless of what everybody else says about it.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6406
I agree with Jon too - ppl talking about sub x will kick sub y azz & they never even heard either of em or what they r talking about haven't even been release yet . Sorta like a movie being given rave reviews b4 release , then it bombs @ the box office...

B4 Alteraudio signed on here - 99% of ppl here never even heard of the word SI MAG . AA Havocs r just now being released yet ppl posts it will def beat sub Z .

No1 ever said don't give an opionionated guess but sub ppl r like "IT MOST DEFINITELY WILL BEAT A _____ SUB !" ...... maybe we got some Psychics here on ecoustics ..lol......

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1305
yall aren't refering to me are you with all the mainstream talk are you?? lol since i'm doing something different. not dropping JL because everyone has it, its just all i've ever used is JL and Alpine and i wanna try something new. see what else is out there.

i do agree whith the comments on people who talk about things they have never heard. thats just not helpful. and don't care for the people who just hate something because they can't afford it.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3021
kyle.......make sure you get some nice component set to go along with that awesome system you will be putting in your car.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6418
Naw not reffering 2 u ^^^ in particular or anyway ........

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 917
Jonathan.....You have excellent ways of desribing things man. You have a great way of explaining everything and makes it that much clearer. Great job man and keep up the good work!! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2238
Well, generally speaking, a person who claims to have a system outfitted with JL throws up the "They said it was the best" flag. Clearly, this isn't necessarily true, but the flag is immediately raised.
On the other hand, you say you have a pair of RL-p 12's with Iridium 6.3 up front, you at least "come across" as someone with whom I'm more willing to exchange dialogue :-)
Then again, either guy could end up being a pretentious wanna-be. And either system could sound phenomenal or poor. I'm just speaking of first impressions.
IMO JL is best and deservingly described as "great and safe." Which, imo, is quite the positive connotation for a brand as a whole to carry. The other signature is "relatively expensive." This obviously helps to secure its high-end status, but also lends to the stigma of it being overpriced.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2239
*Disclaimer*
I've always been a JL kind of guy, and would gladly (yet, reluctantly) do an entire JL system. However, because of the brand's popularity, I would much rather make it a stealth install. Mainly to avoid providing the same "They said it was the best" first impression:-)

Post Number: 3
i have been shot down. i went to pick up the sub and the box they had for me is for the 12w7. so now they are going to make a custom slot box for me. any suggestions on tuning. i was thinking 32 hz.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 542
what a bunch of idiots, couldnt they figure out that you wanted the best one? well at least you dont have to worry about a box,

32hz should be great

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 920
hmmm.....seems like it worked out better for ya!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1311
JL specs used to say 32 hertz, but i noticed they've changed it to 34 hertz now. mine was tuned to 32 and it sounded great.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 448
The 12w7 FS is 27 htz. If you wanted an even lower response i assume you could tune as low as 28 hz. Also, while i was on JL's website I looked at the tutorial for install a W7, it appears as tho the surround on the w7 isnt even attached to the woofer's basket. I never knew that.

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Alabama

Post Number: 860
yeah i noticd that. do u take off the surround fromn the w7 to mount them or what?

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 450
The screw holes for the w7 are under the surround, you push the edge of the surround back towards the center of the sub to put the screws in. I just cant see how at full excursion the surround dosnt jump off the basket due to the air pressure inside the box.

Silver Member

Alabama

Post Number: 863
do they do tht so it will have more excursion or so it will look nicer?

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 452
Just to look nice. Maybe it has a double spider...... But I don't question JL. It is obvious they know what they are doing.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 47
"Best sounding subs for the money? You could probably pick up a pair of Mags for that price..."

I am an authorized SI dealer and yes you could pick up a pair of mag 12's for that price. And yes, 2 mag 12's will hit over 150 db's if you have them in the right box with the right amount of power. And they would come with a warranty and I have had customers tell me they liked the mags better than the w7's.

But when it comes down to it the W7 is a great sub and I am sure he will really enjoy it. Not to mention it is cool to have an amp that matches your sub.

Silver Member

Alabama

Post Number: 867
i think it could also help in cone surface cuz the surround is pushed more outwards so it gives them a chance to add more cone surface

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 48
"do they do tht so it will have more excursion or so it will look nicer?"

Maybe they do it so you don't have to worry about putting a hole in the surround while you are trying to screw it into your box. That is just an idea i had.

Silver Member

Alabama

Post Number: 869
thats not what i meant showrides..........

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 49
I was just taking a guess at why the people at JL might desing their subs this way.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 453
Wow showrides, I think you need to pull the d1ldo out of your as$. Also, try thinking before you say something, that is just an idea i had.

Silver Member

Alabama

Post Number: 873
JL FOR LIFE PUTOS!
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Trinidad & Tobago West...

Post Number: 437
lol pelon you fuccken fooled me you trying to act white now cletus lol i dint even know it was you until i saw pelona on the bottom lol.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 50
HAHAHA...Great picture.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Look ya'll, I was just saying that IMO I would rather two 12" sub's that are said to have great SQ and SPL (that I have read about, seen the excursion on REO, seen the spec sheets, heard about how many dB's it is, and never heard a single complaint about the SQ) than one 13" sub (that I have read about, seen the excursion on REO, seen the spec sheets, heard about how many dB's it is, and never heard a single complaint about the SQ)

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 51
"The screw holes for the w7 are under the surround, you push the edge of the surround back towards the center of the sub to put the screws in. I just cant see how at full excursion the surround dosnt jump off the basket due to the air pressure inside the box."

Because it is held on by an o-ring Nick...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5748
I think the main reason they did it is simply because it looks custom. IMO it looks better than a bunch of visible screws surrounding the sub. But of course there's also the marketability of offering more surface area (not a ton more, mind you). Main benefit is that it doesn't LOSE the surface area that most high excursion subs do, look at the Eclipse Ti for example.

It's pretty simple, really. It's an o-ring that goes over the surround, and a clamp ring that joins the o-ring with the frame of the subwoofer. Strong and simple, no issues from a reliability standpoint.

Silver Member

Alabama

Post Number: 887
i heard that they say the 13w7 has as much surface area as a 15" sub

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5749
It's about 10-15% less surface area compared to most comparable excursion 15" subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 65
The one thing I like about the JL amps is the regulated power supply. I plan on getting the Quad 2 ohm version of the xxx. And a jl 1000/1 per 2 VC's would be awesome. Seeing as I plan on having two extra deep cycles isolated under the rear cabin. The 1000/1 puts out on average about 1100 at 11.9-14.4vdc, 1.5- 4 ohms. So seriesed, with the Quad 2, 2 VC's would be 4 ohms. Meaning the amp wouldn't have to work as hard, and running off a battery at 12.8-12.6vdc. It would put out 1000 watts. Same when i'm driving.

If I had another amp that wasn't regulated I would have to worry about why i'm not getting the right amount of power for my subs running off just the deep cycles.

Post Number: 4
since everybody thinks i overpayed on the amp, the store i bought from lets me upgrade, so do you think i should trade the sub in on another 13w7 and have them make me a dual slot box and run 1 RE amp to each? how much are the re amps and what type of electrical upgraeds am i lookin at? or should i just stick with what i got?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us