Clip problem with McIntosh MC4000M

Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 1
I am one of those lucky few to get my hands on the monster known as the McIntosh MC4000M. My problem is simply that the clip light on the amp lights up very very often. Even though there is not really that much power coming out of the Vega's. I think I might just be wiring it wrong, but I don't have the instructions. The McIntosh website does not have it either. Any help would be great. Thanx

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2228
hmmmm. Pardon my skepticism, as this is a 4g amp you own but don't know how to operate. How do you have it wired? It's stable to 2ohm.

Post Number: 5
currently i have it wired with the first four channels bridged down to two. i got the amp when someone didnt have the money to pay back a loan. using the last two channels (which provides more watts then any of the first four) doesnt give me that punch that bridging the first four channels does.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5712
Your amp is broken. You can send it to me and I'll test it for you :-).

Seriously, though, amplifiers clip more often than you think they do. Doesn't that amp combine two 300W RMS channels and 4 100W RMS channels?

What's your application, what type of subs?

Post Number: 6
the amp has 4 100W RMS channels that can be bridged to give 400W for each of 2 channels and 2 channels that give 300W RMS that can not be bridged. I have the first four channels bridged to give two channels. they are connected to a pair of Cerwin Vega V-MAX 10 in a ported enclosure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2230
You still havn't specified how you have it wired. What type of speakers do you have, and what is their impedence? It's likely because it is dropped to 1ohm. That's the only way I could see the last 300x2 being outdone by bridging four 100 watt channels.

Any chance of posting a pic of this bute?

Post Number: 7
the speakers are both SVC. 1 sub is bridged to channels 1&2 and the other sub is bridged to channels 3&4. 5 & 6 are not being used.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2231
Ok. So, you're fine at 4ohms each. You likley just need to reduce the gain on the amp.

Post Number: 8
thanx. i will try that in the morning. on a side note. i'm a little confused about DVC subs. is there a way to connect 2 DVC subs to a 2 channel amp without getting the amp down to 2 OHMS?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2233
Using one channel per driver, you will get either a 4ohm load or a 1 ohm load.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us