Off topic :spark plug wires

Bronze Member
Username: Panocha

Post Number: 57
Is there a website or something were it shows me where the spark plug wires are supposed to go i have a feeling they put them in the wrong place when they changed my oil and tune up.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 612
youre probably gonna have to either go buy the book for ur car at an auto parts store or search online for possibly a diagram of the firing order for your car but i dont know of a website

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 613
you sure the firing order isnt cast into maybe the intake manifold or etched in some where else.. an what leads you to belive that they ran the plugs incorrectly ?

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 614
on my car the firing order is cast into the end of the rear cam cover .. it will be numbers so if you have a V6 it will be 6 numbers an if you have a V8 it will be eight numbers or for 4 cylinders it would be 4 numbers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
cadillac thanks for helping me out well i took my car for a tune up and the car seems to run a little ruffer and sometimes it like back fires from somewhere in the front lol that leads me to believe the b@stards ran the wires wrong. I tried looking around online too but couldnt find nothing my car is a 1988 buick park avenue v-6 3.8 if that matters. Ill check my car for those numbers see if i could find them.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1584
I got to help u now.... the 3.8 beast... lol

take out all the spark plugs, smell them for gas...
if u smell gas, its not firing on the sparkplug...

check all wiring, like caddydb said. check firing order...

if its backfires it can be a instake manifold leak, bad spark....

let me ask a Important question, are they gapped correctly? are the platinum???

I only use platinum, and my mechanic friend will tell you the same!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Yes i checked the spark plugs to see if they were gapped correctly and they were. the wires dont seem to smell like gas And i used platinum gotta use them lol I think im gonna have to buy the book or something.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1596
u smell the spark plugs for gas, after u run it then take them back out! The wires wont smell...

plus gapped at what .60? im guessing?
platinum is great!
pick up the book, its 20$

its something simple man... also u may want to check your ingnition coils, when u trace back the funky smellin plug, to the plug wire, then to the ingnition coil...

u can buy the individual coils, the assembly may be good, just dead coil pack or dieing...

do u get nice sparks, when u unplug each wire from the coil pack>? all should spark, if 1 is weak it wont do anything....

via your problem...

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 616
you sure they didnt some how knock your timing off .. an yeah go ahead an buy the book on your car, they are always worth haven

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1624
well I would hope they didnt mess with the timing chain... they would have to take off the crank cover over the water pump, on a 3.8...
jeez

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 617
i dont know why B is telling you to smell the plugs because that isnt always the best way to determine if they are getting a spark an scents can be misleading especially if you arent a Gear Head so if you wanna see if all the plugs are getting a spark then just buy a spark plug test light an check each plug , if it lights up then its getting a spark if not then it isnt getting a spark you should be able to pick one of these up for around ten bucks at any parts store an if you dont wanna keep it just use it an take it back

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 618
Move the distubutor even slightly an they would have thrown his timing off but im not that familiar with the Buick park 1988's so i dont know if they have

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1626
lol
its going to prove the same thing...
if he has a test light then USE it... I take it he would have done that already..

if it dont have a spark guess what? that spark plugs gets flooded with gas when its squirted into the cylinder... It doesnt ignite the gas and make it explode...
so yes it will smell real strong of gas, NOT a faint light smell....

if he tested gaps, changed it, then couldnt he simpley inspect it with his nose?
just my 2cent though... hehe

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1627
"Move the distubutor even slightly an they would have thrown his timing off but im not that familiar with the Buick park 1988's so i dont know if they have"

they have a Ignition Coil Module. ICM...
thats why I told him check the coils. the 3.8 lost their distributors a long time now... hehe
computers baby...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
wassup guys cant we all just get along lol. Well anyways thank you guys for your help. I also looked for the numbers you told me cadillac i couldnt find them. Are you sure the book will tell me were the spark plugs go i think im just gonna go to auto zone and look at it, im trying to sell the car so i dont wanna buy the book if imma get rid of it. Im gonna miss it i had it for my first car since i was 15 1/2 and its taken a beating lol.

Im gona use a test light and see if theyre getting spark. B can you tell me how your spark plugs are arranged since theyre pretty much the same engine.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1629
I can tell u for your year exactly, let me go pull my book, which is the same b4 your car up to 2003!
nothing much changed... give me 5 mins!
I have specifics for the years...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
cool thanks alot man youre really helping me out here.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1630
book 1985-2002!
HAYNES

this is for type 1 & 2 engine
2-4-6 BACK
1-3-5 FRONT

just like I thought, even to the back, odd to the front... same as all years!

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 619
i didnt realize that all that i had wrote didnt come thought in my last post but to finish what i wrote

Move the distubutor even slightly an they would have thrown his timing off but im not that familiar with the Buick park 1988's so i dont know if they have a DIS set up but if they do then it could posiibly be a bad Coil pack which B has already pointed out

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1631
Im helping u cause I read this whole book like 10 times, seriously... heheh I was bored..................

I do all my work myself, and u cant tell if my car is even running its so freakin quite...
i even tweak stuff on it....
its a 93 had it back in 97... It drives like a 2005 Lesabre... drove a few of those...

I know alot about these type of engines even the histoy, also cadillac engines too. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Wow thanks B im gonna do that tommorow and tell you how it went.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 620
Whats with all this HeHe sh*t after you say what u have to say B ???

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 621
Giggling like a dam women Nigguh

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
yup my car runs smooth like a cadillac it used to be quiet but the catalyst got fucked up and now it makes rattling noise. lol Im really gonna miss this car especially cause the engines are so easy to work with.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1632
cadillacdB 1985 was the last year of distributor.

all years firing orders are the same
2-4-6
1-3-5

the diffrence between years is the diffrent Ignition Coil Modules & locations..

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1633
"hehe" normally comes after smoking too many blunts of hydro.. sorry if its annoying, but everything is more funny too me when Im high... lol

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1634
^^^ Is "haha" better? lol

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 622
i dont drive old cars so havnt worked on many an figured they might not have went to DIS (Distributorless ignition systems)by 88 on the buick parks

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 623
Danny how much you planning to ask for the car once you put it up for sale ?... Just Curious

An B HeHE HEHe just seems like a giggling girl so go with Ha Ha Ha Ha instead

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1635
yea, whats amazing is that 1985-2002 is the same technology pretty much... advancement into smaller, stronger parts though... so technology was advanced for that year if you consider it. Even in the 03 and up 3.8s its still pretty much the same engine! Im pretty sure I could work on a 05.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1636
Ill try to remember that.. hahaha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Well im asking 1600 for it I have 17" chrome wire rims on it tinted windows, pioneer cd player, 2 12" subs (do not come with car) I think ill sell it quick cause everywhere i go i get compliments on the car.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 624
Danny yeah man its good to have a car with an engine thats easy to work on because Cadillacs with northstars are really a pain.. when i bought mine it had a small oil leak an i didnt like it so took it in to see how much if would cost to put new gaskets on for the oil pan an the two different places wanted nearly 2 thousand just to do that because they had to lift the engine to get the pan off an they wanted all that money just for the labor because the gaskets arent that expensive but i looked around an then found a guy that had a new factory rebuilt thunderbolt engine for my car but it was for a two years newer model but would work with mine an he only wanted 2400 for the engine an to put it in an do all the stuff i wanted so i went with that an have been happy ever since.. man the dam thing is even a bch to put an alternator in because i bought a 300amp a lil while back an it was a pain an now i have to pull it out an send it back because it isnt working so im not looking forward to it but if i dont hurry up im gonna run out of warranty .... does anyone know how long the warranty is that excessiveamperage gives ????

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1640
I think Nathan says like 3mnts, put if you talk to him and explain it, he will surely replace it or fix it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us