Car won't start with key, but will with Remote Start. HELP!

Username: Daphelps

Post Number: 1
I installed a Clifford Cyber 4 and an Intellistart 4 about 1 1/2 ago. It was installed on a '72 Chevy Camaro SS that I have been doing a frame-off restroration on. The alarm and RS were working perfectly until I sent the car to get painted. It was then the problem began. Where if I tried to start it with the key, the interior lights would slightly dim and the amp meter would drop signing that the ignition switch was engaging but the car never cranks over.

If I use the remote start it starts up every time. I decided to replace the ignition switch just yesterday and still the exact same thing.

I also tried removing power from both the remote start and the alarm...same results the car never cranks the starter.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

The alarm seems to function as normal, and is not in valet mode.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 55
Sounds like your starter wire is messed up. You have a few wires at your ignition harness.

+12
Accesory
Ignition
Starter

Sometimes you have a second Accessory, a second and possibly third ignition, and sometimes a second starter... but I highly doubt any of those on a 72 camaro.

So thats an alarm also right? Not just a remote start? And should have a starter kill... If you had to cut your starter wire in half, to connect a key side and starter side then maybe they are reversed. Or maybe the key side came undone if you didn't solder it.

So check all your connections at your ignition harness, sounds like the problem may be there.

Hope this works for you.

Username: Daphelps

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:31 am:
Great starting point. The key side (purple starter wire) is connected at the ignition switch to the white/red alarm box thru a crimp connector. And on the starter side it is connected to the 2nd white/red wire coming from the alarm box (im guessing there is just a relay between the two white/red wires inside the box?) AND a wire (cant remember color) coming from the remote start unit. So, your explanation makes sense as the remote start goes directly to the starter side (in which Im guessing the remote start is just taking 12v and flowing it to that connector?)

Couldn't it also be the relay inside the Clifford box?

Some observations...I put the + of a multi-meter at the starter side connector where it attaches to the alarm and turned it over with the key and got voltage flowing there (lower but my battery has been low anyways).

Now the odd thing that happened:
I pulled out my gauge cluster face plate that holds the cigarette lighter/wiper switch, headlight switch. I disconnected the all of the switches including the cig lighter. I saw a spark from the two leads from the cigarette lighter (blowing the fuse) as I forgot it was live even without the key. Anyhow, I try turning the key just for fun....it turns over. I adjust the tilt wheel...it still turns over. I plug in the headlight switch...still working. Then the wiper, still good. WTF!!???

The only thing I can think of is 1) the cig lighter or power leads were interfering with something, or 2) I have the headlights hooked up thru a relay so they can be turned on with the remote, is it possible this could cause a problem??? 3) Somehow a specific wire was moved. I dont think it is this as I had the key cranked before as I moved around the key side of the starter connection.

I guess tomorrow I will solder the key side of the start. Im guessing it will start happening again if I dont FOR SURE firgure out the source of the problem.

Please advise. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 57
yes, the remote start module is nothing but a big relay. 1-2 +12v inputs, and a couple outputs. and yes it could be the relay, but if it works after unplugging the cigarette lighter switch them hmm.

i dont see the headlight relay causing a problem, but how do you have it hooked up?

i usually play around until i fix stuff, so i would leave the cigarette lighter like it is now, until i had more time to check it out. plus, I can't even think right now lol, sorry.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us