Amp power protection

Username: Thumpincrystal

Post Number: 3
I just got a 600watt jenson amp (I know I went cheap.) I know it has a power protection control on it, but what I dont know is the highest limits, I guess in volts. After I get up to volume 15 or 16 the amp stops pumping, so I turn it down to like 10 and it kicks in again. So if anyone can explain how to fix this I would greatly appericate it.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1554
is that amp bridged, if so it needs to be at a 4ohm load, it probably is overloaded on ohm if running 2 subs.

Post Number: 4
The amp is bridged, it's a four channel amp. It has a positive F (front), neg F; and a positive R (Rear), neg R. I just hooked up my two 12's R pos and R neg.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1513
1:
seems like your overloading the amplifiers output transitors with too little of a ohm load. Meaning if your amplifier can only take minimum ohm load of 2ohms and you run it at 1ohm..... your overloading the amplifier!

2:
Gain set too High into clipping?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1557
are the subs single or dual voice coil. If you are saying those are Alpine type r subs, they need to be dual 2ohm in order to run bridged. I bet you may have the dual 4, and if so, you can not run them + to + and then to the amp. Ohm load is to low.

Post Number: 5
1. I pretty sure the setup is 1 ohm, so what would I need to do to get it to a 2 ohm load? Gain is setup right below half way.

2. The 12s are Crystal subs, dual voice coil. I know one sub is hooked up to the other, than ran to the amp. So I guess this is parallel? Hope this info helps.

3. How many watts do you think i'm actually getting to my subs? They are rated at 300 rms, and I dont want to blow them. The amp is 4-channel and 600 watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1559
if it has 1 wire out of the box and it is a 1ohm load, they are dual 4 subs, if that is the case those will not work bridged on you 4 channel amp. each sub will need its own wire out from the box, but it leaves either a 2ohm or an 8ohm load. 2ohm will not work bridged on your amp.

Post Number: 6
Okay here's the wire break down. Sub A is has + and - wires running out to Sub B. They are connected from Sub B out from Sub B to the amp. They are than connected + to R + and - to R -.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1561
it is 1ohm, and like i said previously, those subs are not going to work well with that amp bridged, the ohm load is going to need to be 8ohms per bridged channel, and that means the amp is pushing very little power

Post Number: 7
If the amp is pushing too little power than why is the amp shutting off when the volume is increasing? I would suspect it would keep going. So if I have to hook it up at 8 ohms there will be very little power? And is there anyway I could hook it up at 4 ohms?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us