Ohm Problems

Username: Cptmorgan89

Post Number: 1
ok, i just bought a polk audio sub box and (db212-2) and had a few questions about the amp i am useing. The subs say that they are 2 ohms. all that my amp specs say are that it is 60 watts times 2 into a 4 ohm load. I have the amp in bridged (does bridged make it 2 ohms?) mode going to the polk woofers. Will this ruin my speakers? The amp is a freebie so i have no manual and i cant find anything about it online i do know that it is a alpine. I also noticed that the sub box only has one speaker termanal to connect the amp to so i assume that means that the amp has to be in bridged mode. Should i be more worried about the speakers ruining my amp? thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1552
yes, if the ohm load is 2ohm, then your prob going to burn that amp out.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1514
^^X2

Bronze Member
Username: Real_mccoy85

Hilliard, Ohio

Post Number: 18
have the same box and found that a mono amp works best with the subs.

Post Number: 2
I dont mind so much if the amp gets burned out, just as long as the speakers will be ok. So all in all, the speakers will be ok even if the amp burns out?

Bronze Member

Hilliard, Ohio

Post Number: 19
yes

Post Number: 3
alright, one more thing, i found the amp model but i have no luck finding information about it. do any of you know about the alpine 3548 amp?

thanks for the quick responses!

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1517
"I dont mind so much if the amp gets burned out, just as long as the speakers will be ok. So all in all, the speakers will be ok even if the amp burns out?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NO, you risk burning the amplifer, not only that, when the amp sends that dc voltage to your subs (clipping; half the min ohm load on cheap equip), that voltage will weld the voice coils quick! So yes you risk damaging both!

Post Number: 4
Would my amp just shut down if it got too hot?
also, what would be a good amp for these subs? im looking to spend between $100-$200. I have my eyes on the Kenwood KAC-9152D 1-Channel Amplifier. it looks pretty nice. Im 17 so im kinda strapped for cash so any suggestions would be greatley appriciated!

Post Number: 5
I really think that im going to go with the Pioneer GM-7200M. The specs say that it has 360 watts of continious power. The thing i am worried about is the it has 800 watts of peak power. Would that 800 watts damage my speakers at all? They are rated to handle only 720 watts rms.

Thanks for your help!

Bronze Member

Hilliard, Ohio

Post Number: 20
I Think that those subs are rated for 1200-1400 watts max, so they would be fine, just make sure to adjust the settings right on the amp.

Post Number: 6
ok well thanks for the help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us