My Sub Wont Thump?

Subproblems
Unregistered guest
I Had My New Jl Audio 500/1 hooked up to a sony 300 watts rms sub and have been thumping around fro the past couple days and latly it started cutting out and then today it just stopped I am using a crossover ( To hook your amp to the rear speakers a line converter) Could it be the my subs + - is reversed?

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1863
now why in the world would u have a jl amp with a dam sony sub ???????????

Subproblems
Unregistered guest
Because Its My Holdover Sub.
Im Still waiting for my 12w7.
Gotta save some more coin.

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 179
you prolly blew the sub... over driving....

sony sucks anyway get someting better.

check your cables... pull the sub out of the box and attatch a 9V battery to the + and- and if the sub moves than your sub is fine and you need to look around...

hope your not using the Bass boost on your amp

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 406
well firt off the jl amp puts out 500rms and ur sub can only take 300rms(if that cuz its a sony) so ur overpowering it...and u could jsut count urself lucky that the sony didnt live uo to its name and "x-plode" in ur car lol....j/k but good amp jsut will be much better once u get that w7...but u are going to be underpowering the w7 now have u looked @ the 10w7 which would be a perfect match for that amp...jsut a sugestion...but my guess is u blew that sub...

SubProblems
Unregistered guest
I have the Bass Boost At +13 on my amp
My Input sensitivity is not even half yet.
And the Temperature has been -5 - -22 ( with windchill )

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 309
If you have your bass boost at +13 there is someting wrong, gain at half too, DUDE, lol. I bet that thing was clipping soooo bad, HOLY SH!T BATMAN,,,Upload

SubProblems
Unregistered guest
Bump*

SubProblems
Unregistered guest
Whats Clipping?
And I had to keep my Input down otherwise I would get too much distortion.
And Whats wrong with using bass boost.

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 798
man just wait til u get the w7 no reason to risk your 500/1 but if you want to get rid of it(which your doing right now by clipping it to hell)i'll take that amp for 50 bucks shipped since you prob alreayd killed it.

SubProblems
Unregistered guest
Whats Clipping?
And how could i have killed my amp?

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 959
ok my cousin has the same problem with his subs. he has to RF P1's. and is powering them both with i think 250RMS he isn't sure on the specs, all they do is move, NO SOUND is being created. whats the problem

SubProblems
Unregistered guest
Ok I see that The Amp is getting power.
The sub is still getting sound just not Thump. Only voice is being played.
The temperature outside is - 16.
Its a Sony 300watts Rms X-Plod Subwoofer In a 1 cu ft Sealed Enclosure.
With A Jl Audio 500/1 With Bass Boost at +13 input sensitivity is at about 1/4
Im using a Line Converter With the input levels on it set exactly how i got it.
The Input levels are set to low. ( the low/high switch right beside the input sensitvity )
Im using 4g Power and Grounds And 8g Amp To Speaker wire.

Subproblems
Unregistered guest
Could it be the ground?
Could It Be A Loose Connection?
Could it be touching Wires?

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
1st of all... clipping is when there is spiking in the electonics from working the amp too hard a.k.a. turning your bass boost all the way up.. you cant hear it but it causes your sub to overdrive... i think... best way to put it... you should never go over 3 Db on your boost... as told every 3 Db doubles the power your amp requires to put out soundz...
2nd of all... the cold dosent help... it acctually makes it worse.. Rapid tempature change...

you fried the VC... if you look at the spider while your listening to music (like hooking it up to your home theater) its only pushing like 25 watts in and you might see sparks... or ittle crackle ect... god the when ist started out with subs it was horrible.. but you learn fast once you get on this forum....

you need to match your input sensitivity to the outputs on your head unit... like the sub outs on my head unit is 2 Volts so i make the sensitivity match...

just look around here for a while... youl find what the good stuff is to buy...

remember base your system off of RMS power not Max power.. make sure your sub RMS is = or higher than your amps out...

it's not your wires... its your tuning.. i mean yea bass boost is great for SPL... butt it will destoy your subs....

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
what kinda line converter are you useing?

Sub Problems
Unregistered guest
Whats a Spider?
Also Whats VC?

And I think its a American International.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 963
voice coil, determens how many ways you can wire your sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
WHOA.. hehe you need to do some major research...
the Red thing... thats the voice coil... it's like and electric magnet.. when electricity flows around the coil it pulls toward the MAgnet... or pushes away.. they are usually made of tinsel or aluminum.. and on cheaper subs they are just glued to the cone... others are in a molded spindle.. molded spindles are so much more reliable and accurate.. brands like Dual, Sony, Pyramid, Pyle.. ect just spool the voice coil right on the cone and cover it with glue.. so the voice coils melt the glue.. than the voice coil gets loose and it goes haywire... just like in the Pcture on the left... the wavy thing is the spider... it looks like a web... it keeps the spool centered..

on the pic on the right youl see a hole on the center of the spider... the soice coil slips in that little crack..

webUploadUpload

SubProblems?
Unregistered guest
Like my sub still runs just barely though almost no bass at all and very little voice.

If I take my friends sub and slap it in and it works then my amp is fine right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
yea....

your sub is still able to process small amounts of power.. does your sound have distortion?

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
you know what.. go to walmart and buy one os fheir cheapest large speakers.. like a 6.5 component from the car audio and take it apart.. study it... or even better.... if your sony is trashed.. take that apart... youl learn good from that.. youl pull it apart and i bet youl have you VC just unspindle all over the place the the glue will be Charred black as coal

SubProblems
Unregistered guest
Ok I know Im Sounding Really Stupid Right About Now But Basicly Can you Tell me The best Way to check see if my amp is still good.

And tell me things i shouldnt do If i dont want to break my amp.

How Amps are broken.

And I Am Very Thankfull for all your help.
I really dont want to destroy my first sound system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
umm turn your DB gain down 1st of all... and hook up another sub... just free air it (dont bother boxing it up.. i mean unless its already in a box.. just hook up another sub and if it thumps its good.. if it thumps it's good... and dont turn it all up and stuff to see how much you can get out of it.. you dont wanna fry your buddys sub if its not designed to handle 500 Watts...

i bet your sub is bad..

dont worry about sounding dumb.. your new too this youl get it down.. one day you could end up with 3000$ worth of parts in your car and ittle shake your windows from a block away...

or youl just give up... cause you keep turning up the Gain cause you are addicted to SPL!!!!

Sub problems
Unregistered guest
See I was always told Betwwen +10-+13 was ok that wouldnt hurt my sub. ( very wrong im guessing)

So im going to turn my boost way down and Try tuning my sensitivity up.

How high should i turn up my sensitivity ( like whats safe what dangerous)

Thanks a million james im getting my first little ( now now Dont Do this or that and this is how you do that )

Hopefully learning wont cost me much :-)

Sub problems
Unregistered guest
Is the EQ up with bass bost.

Can I spider my wires(touching my self)

I dont want to break my amp or my subs

Hopefuly one of you guys will give me butt love.

Bronze Member
Username: Bob49448

Post Number: 17
I have a jl 500/1 amp that is way to much power for a sony. I had that amp for 5 yrs and blew every sub that i paid less than 100 bucks for. now i got two 12w3's and it pounds just wait till you get your w7 and throw that sony in the trash
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us