Painting a sub's cone?!

Anonymous

Hey I have a 12" kicker solo x I don't want to get rid of it because it was a great deal. But my dillema is that its grey and red. I am going for an all black set-up. I am wondering if I could paint the cone black, also what kind of paint I would need and would this effect my sub's output. Thank You.

Anonymous

you might be able too....but the paint might start to chip off.

Silver Member
Username: Madeupname

Post Number: 169
air brush, the paint will almost never chip if applied properly

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5668
If you paint it, you're going to add mass to the subwoofer, which changes it's parameters. Not a good idea.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 316
man that little bit of paint aint gonna hurt nothing....not like you are chroming the whole sub....

Silver Member

Post Number: 317
o yes iknow he is talking about the cone not the chassis fyi before you all get on me

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6027
Technically/in theory it might be true

idk but imo such a thin light coat of paint may not affect nothing that much though i prefer 2 leave subs whatever color they originally came ........

Anonymous

i know for a fact that such little paint will NOT affect the parameters of a sub........come on dude,its common sense

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5364
If you own one of those cheap Boss/Pyramid/Pyle/Mofo etc subs, paint till the cows come home.

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 202
ehhh just paint it.... and let us know...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5670
"i know for a fact that such little paint will NOT affect the parameters of a sub........come on dude,its common sense"

Added mass = higher Qts, lower Fs, lower sensitivity. You'll be surprised how much paint weighs. You're going to have to add a good chunk of paint to get it to halfway stick to the cone. It'll still chip off easily w/o primer.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1414
wtf are u painting it for anyways? the stuff people do when they have nothing else too!

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1415
ill have to agree with Jonathan; it will diffentily alter the QTS specs and the sensitivity, also the efficency.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 142
Seriously dude, don't paint that sub. If you want an all black set-up, sell it for a 2006 15" L7, they are gunmetal which goes with an all black set up, and the 15" L7 would probably be louder than the solo x 12?? I'm guessing it is, its a lot more cone area.

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
I dont think u will notice the differnece at all if you paint it...i plan on painting my speaker, 5inche xplod speaker to keep the attention away it brings from having it sit in my floor. No need to primer(might help though) it its not metal...or clear just make sure the speaker is clean...use some rubbing alcahol (cant spell it im drunk) to clean it...It should last for a while...hey and spray in very thin each time....u can always add more but on a cone kinda hard to take paint away...take all day painting it so it will look good and not all trashy for trying to rush through it oh get some of that vinyl or plastic paint might work betta

Anonymous

thank for all the help but lewass a solo x 12" would rip the 15" l7 a new assh0le. That's why I bought a competetion sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us