Off topic - question about External hard drive

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 200
My computer is running slow from(i think)all the music but if i add a external hard drive and put my music and stuff on there and erase it from the CPU hard drive would it improve performance?

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
my bad for double post its the computer fault LOL

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 245
I'm sure it would help, you might want to reformat your harddrive to that really helps, makes it like new basically.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
what does it do when i reformat my harddrive and how do i do it?

Bronze Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 98
Having a ton of files on a computer doesn't necessarily slow it down. Get rid of all the crap you don't need, defrag, and if necessary reformat. We'd need to know alot more information about your computer besides that. But having tons of files won't do anything at all. I have over 5000 songs and 300 movies on mine and I'm running smooth as a whistle. You could have a ton of apps running in the background or stupid things like WeatherBug taking up useless space. WHats your system information, especially your OS and the amount of RAM you having? CPU, etc?

Dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
i have a Gateway 504GR with DSL internet,also i think i might have spyware,adware virus is there a way to remove it without paying for it?

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 956
yea, goolge free virus protection

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
cuz right now i run Ad-Aware SE personal do you have a link to any program that would work

Bronze Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 100
What are you trying to do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
speed up my cpu's performance and delete spyware virus

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 166
get online and find Avast Antivirus... they have a freeware version.. or used too i dunno.. but it works great... go to download.com and look up spyware i use microsofts anti spyware.. but there is probably better ones... also download the yahoo toolbar... it has a spyware search that looks for things in I.E. that could slow down your internet access... like a hijacker or whatnot...

also see if you can find a Disc defragmenter to defragment your harddrive.. but find out what kinda file system you have first... (my computer->right click your drive->properties)this way you can find a defragmenter that will work for your file system

you dont need an external harddrive.. it just needs to be cleaned up..

do some research on Defragmenting.. i dont wanna explain it..

the first time you run an anti spyware program on a PC it usually finds around 400 Files

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
oh when you defrag your drive for the first time if its a really big drive (8 Gigs and up) it could take from 3 hours to 3 days to do...

Bronze Member
Username: Licid

Brunswick, Ohio USA

Post Number: 15
The only thing copying your music to an external drive and deleting ff your internal drive would do, is free up sapce. Thats it. Re-formatting is NOT a good idea just to clear things up. If you want performance improvement you need to upgrade components like ram, video card, hdd, or even a new mb with faster processor. I have 80+ GB of music and 150+GB of movies on and my pc and it runs great. What are the specs of your pc?

Bronze Member
Username: Licid

Brunswick, Ohio USA

Post Number: 16
The only thing copying your music to an external drive and deleting ff your internal drive would do, is free up sapce. Thats it. Re-formatting is NOT a good idea just to clear things up. If you want performance improvement you need to upgrade components like ram, video card, hdd, or even a new mb with faster processor. I have 80+ GB of music and 150+GB of movies on and my pc and it runs great. What are the specs of your pc?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
well.. before he runs around buying stuff... gotta ask a question...

did it used to run good? than get slower over time.. or is it just slow?

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
yeah it ran good but then it got slower overtime
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us