Car Audio Novice

Username: Shkaggy

Metairie, Louisiana United State...

Post Number: 1
I am looking to upgrade my sound system in my truck but I have no idea how to go about doing it. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab. I listen to mostly rock but do listen to just about anything at any given time. I would also like to keep the stock head unit inside. Hit me up.

Post Number: 2
I have been looking at the Polk Audio db6500
6-1/2" component speaker system for the front and the Polk db525 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers for the rear. That is as far as I have gotten, and I recall Polk being a reliable brand. I figured on getting an amp to power them, but this is where I get lost. I would really appreciate some direction to help me cover all areas.

Post Number: 3
I have been looking at the Polk Audio db6500 6-1/2" component speaker system for the front and the Polk db525 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers for the rear. That is as far as I have gotten, and I recall Polk being a reliable brand. I figured on getting an amp to power them, but this is where I get lost. I would really appreciate some direction to help me cover all areas.

Silver Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 188
look into adire, oz audio, arc audio, jl audio xr's, re, for components, there are really a lot to choose from really could be more help if you had a price range, cdt is also a good one to look at too. as for amps, simply match the rms rating with the ohms of the speaker look into ab two channel amps to power your components, like jl audio 300/2, or even the e series. amps zapco, jl, arc audio, make good amps if you have the money, if you are on a budget look into a kicker amp. If i were going to do polks, I would do momos. you would be better off replacing the factory with an aftermarket hu say like an eclipse hu. more control, offers outputs, cleaner output than factory stuff. for subs listen to as much as possible but jl, arc, oz, re, ascendant audio, offer excellent subs, just depends on what kind of power you want to run to them, and what kind of money you want to spend. Dont worry too much about rear, try to invest in a good component set up, you will be thankful you did.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 628
how much are you willing to spend in all?

for around $200 you can get some infinity kappa 6 1/2 inch components and for around $100 you can get the kappa 5 1/4s.

You could just run a two channel amp for the component speakers, while running the 5 1/4s on the stock HU. In this case i would look into a kicker KX200.2 (under $150) or an orion 3002 (around the same price).

If you want a four channel amp to run all the speakers on look for one that is around 75 watts rms x 4. JL makes one and im sure kicker has one.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 336
Posting a budget will help us. I also wouldn't worry about the rears either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us