Help me out with my fuse

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 416
alright well im going to have 2 amps that go to my distribution block... found here : http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiopipe-0-4-Gauge-Power-or-Ground-Distribution-Block_W0QQi temZ5871880598QQcategoryZ50550QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and then from the distro block to the battery is a 2 gauge power wire. my amp kit came with the fuse holder that should go on right before my power wire is connected to the battery. my problem is the 2 gauge wire is way too thick to fit into the fuse holder. do i need the fuse?? what should i do?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 672
you COULD just trim the excess off the circumference until it fits - ok electrically, but that would be the wrong (ie - ghetto) way to do it.
My suggestion would be to pick up something like this -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Raptor-24K-Gold-ANL-Fuse-Holder-1-0-or-4-AWG-Gauge_W0QQitemZ 5871182481QQcategoryZ50551QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
And the right size anl fuse for your application.

Bronze Member
Username: Roy_t

Swimmingmom2005@yahoo...., Swimmingmom2... Swimmingmom2...

Post Number: 40
Upload Upload
Upload Upload

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 417
both of the amps draw about 105 amps together but the fuse they gave me is an 80 amp fuse. should i get a new fuse? or is this okay?? im not going to have my system at full volume ever if that helps at all...

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 418
oh and if i trim some of it off till it fit, would that give me any problem like it not drawing full power?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 676
80A should work for a 105A max current draw. An 80A fuse will have no trouble passing 100A+ for a few seconds at a time. With music - if your amps ever DO require 100A+ it would only be for a fraction of a second. The only concern would be test tones, full volume, for several minutes straight.

Trimming the wire won't make a measurable difference. It will reduce the cross section of the wire slightly - it will probably have to be the equivalent of 4 ga or so to fit in the fuse holder, but resistance-wise you need to consider the diameter of the trimmed wire along with its length, which would be negligible. For comarison - look at the size of the element in the fuse :-)
I don't think your <1" of 4 ga wire is going to have much of an effect on the system ;)

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 420
k thanks optidiven
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us