Off topic- Computer sound

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 952
I know there is a part of this forum for it but it is dead. Anyway. I have a computer and a TV in my room I want to connect to some speaker system. I am redoing my room and want to put a 5.1 system in. I am thinking of something along these lines... Sound Blaster Live (or Audigy 2) sound card for my computer, and a Logitech 5.1 speaker system as shown here http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=958 6.
What is your opinion on these? I want to keep the price down and go with some name brand stuff here. Will it be hard wiring my whole room up, extending the wires and stuff? Will that setup sound pretty good?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 644
That should be pretty nice. Are you going to use your computer to play dvd's? If not then you may loose your surround. Also go with the Audigy. It's a much better card than the Live. It's cleaner and has more connecting options.

Silver Member

Post Number: 955
anyone else have any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 280
that is a nice system but you might be able to find a 7.1 for a little more $$$ and you can get a video card so you can use your tv for your monitor ive done that a few times on a 42" plasma

Silver Member

Post Number: 958
I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, 128MB

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 929
the speakers arent bad. if you want to extend the rears then i believe you will need to use some mono rca cables. not as convenient or cheap as speaker wire. logitech will probably give you the most with the lowest budget since they dont really use high quality stuff and omit certain things. it should sound good though.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 128
My brother has that exact setup at his apartment at ASU campus, and its loud enough to draw people from outside in the courtyard to come to see if theres a party going on at his apartment...

They sound really good, bass is especially good. I would definitely recommend it.

Also, if I remember right, theres a ton of extra speaker cord for the rears...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5353
Chris, what's stopping you from getting a home stereo that has 5.1 surround sound? Why do you want to use the computer?
For home stereo, I wouldn't use Logitech, nor any speakers designed for computers. I've tested them in the past and found not as pleasing as a real home stereo system.
The speakers for computers for example, are designed for low wattage (50w rms or less), the subs are 180w rms or lower.
A typical home stereo design might have 100w rms or higher for surround speakers, and 300w - 1000w rms for subs.
In a computer system, all the speakers are situated much closer to the listener, where as, in home stereo, the speakers are much further away, thus requiring more power.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 138
Yea Isaac but we are talking best for $200. I can't really think of anything good with 5.1 for 200, can you?

That logitech is the best you will find for $200 for a 5.1 that still sounds good even being played with just 2 speakers and the sub (stereo for music)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5362
You can get a decent surround sound amp with speakers for a bit more ($250 - $350). I'd go that route than use computer speakers and computer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 963
I love my logitech 2.1 right now. Not saying your wrong Isaac but I like mine right now. I am just spicing up my 12'X12' bedroom and want to put a speaker in each corner hanging from the ceiling and then mount the sub and center channel somewhere. My speakers were $40 new so I figure that they will be a decent amount better than these... Plus these are like 15 rms X2 and a 10rms amp and they get pretty loud. So, I think I might just stick with that. Thanks you all for the help though.

Oh, and should I get the Audigy 2 ZS? I was looking at that card.. Can I hook up my TV to that also by chance?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 930
all you need is a mini-plug to RCA stereo converter. you can use a two dollar sound card and do that. there really is no point in getting a fancy multi-channel sound card.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 865
Chris.....I was debating on whether or not to get those speakers too. These are great for PC, but if you hooked it up to your TV, your going to loose true surround sound. All you'll get is loud music through every speaker. The reason for this is it's not supported by Pro Logic and DTS. However, if you wanted a nice system that would work great, then save up a bit more coin and go with the Logitech Z-5500. They are a bigger system, and supports true surround sound with computer and TV. I seen them on e-bay for $200 before. Just shop around, it's worth it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us