Alpine 6" Coaxials: Type-R vs. Type-S

Bronze Member
Username: Vuyodaddy

Post Number: 38
Ok, so I blew out my rear speakers somehow (I think my type R woofer had something to do with it), and I've been meaning to replace them for a while anyway. I drive a '95 Bimmer, and was gonna run some new speakers I'm buying soon off the stock amp in the rear. Should I buy the Type-S coaxials or fork out the extra $30-$40 for the Type R's? I would go listen to them at the local stereo store but I notice that you can't really tell much from the stores, as it matters more about your application of them.

Any suggestions of other speakers that would be of better value/quality would be appreciatted as well. I really liked the sound of the Rockford punch speakers being sold at Bestbuy. Opinions on that?

Any help would be appreciatted, thanks guys.

Username: T06

Palm Beach, FL USA

Post Number: 8
What speakers do U have in front?

Bronze Member
Username: Adddisorder

Post Number: 68
i wouldnt by them from best buy their too expensive...look online or something

Username: T06

Palm Beach, FL USA

Post Number: 9
no matter what...do not hesitate to spend money on you're speakers...if you can afford the R series...buy them...from an authorized dealer.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5919
when it comes 2 car audio - always buy the best ur budget will allow cause u get what u pay for & will not have 2 later worry about "hmmmm if only i had gotten the betters 1s !" ...

Bronze Member
Username: Bkoz

Post Number: 28
Go with Rockford the sound AWESOME and don't hurt your pocket at all.
P.S. Buy them online

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1162
just about anything from a store will be cheaper online. the draw backs are no warranties.

but as Rovin said, you get what you pay for. but with speakers, its always best to go listen to them yourself and pick the one you think sounds the best, since you will be the one listening to them all the time.

Bronze Member
Username: Vuyodaddy

Post Number: 39
Oh, for clarification purposes, the reason I'd purchase from Bestbuy is because their employees get crazy discounts on car audio, and I got a few friends ;). Thanks though guys, good lookin out.

I guess a better question would be, if I had only $50 to spend on speakers, what would be the best purchase? I'm leaning towards the Type-S, as I don't think I'd be using the Type-R's to their full potential with this junk stock amp. I have components up front, but they too are stock (but actually sound pretty damn good).

Anyone have any experience with the Type-S speakers? I just found out (after taking my car apart) that the speakers are 5.25", with tweets. Does that mean I have to replace them with components? Thanks guys...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us