148.6dB....but i got DQ'd :-(

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2270
Well, the comp in Baton Rouge was crazy. I was running between 3-4 trucks getting stuff setup for people.

Kendall's truck (the 2 L5 15's in my how-to thing) had a little trouble. He got his hifonics BX1800D but it was DOA. The protections circuit tripping everytime it powered up. He borrow a planet audio 1250d (thanks to Gotro) and did 148.0dB @54hz on the first run...w/ an untested box!!!! (w/ a planet audio amp none the less!!!)

I did a 148.6 @ 48hz on my first run, but i got DQ'd cause i ran my rpm's over 1200. (leand forward to change the track and ran it from 1000rpm to ~2000) I did my runs back to back, to my coils were still warm and my voltage was down a little...but i still did 148.0dB on the second run.

Kendall and I ended in a tie for 1st in Mod 301-900. Both of us ran stock batts. Johnny got 3rd w/ 1 XXX12 on 2 orion 1200d's strapped @ 1ohm.

Grudge Match was fu.kin INSANE! Tank from team S.P.R.E.A.D. averaged 147.4dB on the dash for 3 minutes straight!!! He had 2 MT12's and 2 powerbass 3000d's in an SUV. (i got it all on video, i'm gonna send it to realm of excursion)

150dB seems so close yet so yet so far away for me. I'm only 1.4dB away! I think my bp1200.1 if about to go up for sale. I'm prolly gonna get 2 batts and go to 2 strappable 1000-1200w amps.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1882
that sux so bad marshall...dont diss PA amps lol, they is nice

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 187
Very nice Marshall, I always liked planet audio amps 2 :-)

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 605
Marshall... I think you should drop the SX... I'll let you know in a week or so once I have the hAvoc installed, but it MIGHT be the answer to your 150.0db quest. also, it would be drop in for your SX box and amp.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1888
baseball...what box u going for with ur hAvoc...i need sum opinions...did chad say one?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2154
awesome marshall. i wish i could go to comps like that. thats really good what your buddy did witht the L5s, i guess they surved their purpose, to get loud lol. you wouldnt happen to know what any tahoes yukons or escalades peaked at would you? just wondering for whenever i do an SPL box what to tune to in my escalade. unfortunately, in my setup... i wont be able to do interchangable ports. and how many sq inches of port did those L5s have? thanks. looks like you had a lot of fun!

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 576
dam my 35 hz non SPL box and my stock alt!!! lol marshall im cuttin the port on that old box TODAY! hopefully it will be 45 hz and i can do better than 3rd next time.

oh yeah and thanks for helpin me practically install the system at the show. im gonna bring alot more extra 8 guage and more RCA's next time just tell me where the comp is.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2272
Trevor,
we only had 70sq inches of port for the 2 L5 15's (7cuft box). I'm gonna rebuild Kendall's port and go w/ 80-90sq inches. (tune to 52-53hz)

Johnny,
the show was crazy man...like you said, we practically built 2 systems in the parking lot. lol (just try not to get lost on your way to the comp next time :-))

tune that box to ~44-45hz and you'll have something great for comps. i'm surprised that XXX took 2400w @45-50hz w/ that 35hz tuning. After you doing 1.5dB? louder on those 2 strapped 1200d's over the 2500d...i got to thinkin, i'm gonna sell my bp1200.1 VERY soon and grab 2 amps to strap are 1ohm for comps. I'll run them strapped at 4ohms daily.

baseball,
that Havoc looks nice, but i'm gonna stick w/ RE. I may go to an MT later on.

I plotted the Havoc in winISD against my SX in the same box...they plotted almost identically. (i know they may not do so in real life though, plus i cant remember that the impedence rise looked like w/ the havoc)

I am determained to get this SX15 over 150dB! A lil of this and a lil of that, and i'll be there. After box (~3.3ohm), my SX15 is only getting ~750w from my amp. If i strap 2 1000-1200w amps @ 1ohm they will each see ~1.65ohm after box rise. So hopfully w/ the right amps, i will get ~1500-1800w to my SX15 on burps.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2160
wow, that would get you 3db if the rule is right. lol. i dont understand how box rise works... i wish i could find out how to do that stuff. i think im going to download winISD and try to figure out how to use the program.... for comps with my SI mags i want to do a box with like 150-200 sq inches of port tuned to like 45 hz and pick up like a hcca 275 and run it at .5 ohms for 2400w rms. because running 1000/1s would kill me in comps because they are 1000w at 4 ohms right? wow, that hcca amp is rated at 300w at 4 ohms... so i could compete in the class below 301-900 or w/e it was?

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 142
hey marshal were can i go to see if there are any comps near me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
marshall, i think im gonna get another 1200D also. they are becomin cheaper and cheaper on ebay. all of my friends are gettin them and payin around 100 dollars less than me. and im goin to run all 4 guage wire to amps and deff a new alt. but im goin to have to rob a bank or sell some crack. lol

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2273
Trevor,

Box rise has to do w/ the actual impedence your amp(s) see on burps. a speaker coil is an inductive load, so when you run an AC current to a speaker...the load the amp actually see will change as the freqency changes. even if you have the sub wired to 1ohm nominal (DC). this is why you will see people in comps running amps WAY below their rated minimal impedence loads. (i have seen a pair of power acoustic 3000's strapped at .35ohm...thats .175ohm per amp nominal!!!)

Just above your boxes tuning freqency, you will usually see the biggest spike in impedence. to measure box rise you will have to have a multimeter and an amp-clamp (amp probe). you just burp your sub at a freq and measure both volage and amperage you amp puts out. the you use this fomula:

Volts / Amps = ohms

that will be your box rise...it will be different from sub2sub and box2box.

also,

Volts x Amps = watts

that will tell you how much power your sub is actually seeing when you burp. (this does not take the wave form into account...aka clipping)

also...that JL 1000/1 would put you in the (SS or mod) 901-1800w or pro-stock 0-1000w classes...if you compete in USACi events. But if you compete in dBDrag events the rules are different...it will depend more on your sub size and #'s.

the hcca 275 will put you in the 0-300w classes. (until USACi adopts the CEA-2006 rules...then that amp will be kinda in no-man's land).

Avalanche18,
Go to www.usaci.org to find out if there are any USACi comps near you. by the way...where are you from?

Johnny...
you have 4ga from the batt to the amps...right? if so, try replacing that w/ 1/0...or even 2/0. then use the 4ga you have now to split the 1/0 or 2/0 to the amps.

you can get 25ft of 1/0 for ~$45 shipped here:
www.weldingsupply.com

that is where i got that 2ga that Kendall had at the comp...i will never use anything other than welding cable for an install again. its dirt cheap and just as good, if not better than "car audio power cable". Actually, the outer coating is better than car audio cable...and the strand count is high.

Bronze Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 33
do you know if there any sound comps in michigan id like to go to one some time:-)

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 135
Yea same here, SW where u at in MI?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
just south of grand rapids in byron center

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2199
guys you can check it out for urself. he gave you the link

marshall- thanks alot. i'll put that procedure to use with my mags. i thought winISD was telling you your box rise. i dont get winISD lol. i tried messing with it but i didnt see any benefits (cause i didnt know what i was doing) but anyways thanks for the explaination. oh and i read in soem competitions you have to have your receipts to show you bought your stuff retail lol. thats gaay.

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 148
thanks marshall theres only like two comps in my are the whole year lol and im from phoenix ,az by the way why do you ask?

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
good idea, but i cant get that link to work. i figured that i should replace the 4 guage from bat to cap and upgrade to 1/0. where did u get your wire terminal kremps(i guess thats how u spell it) to put on your 1/0 wire?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2203
i use a vice for my major crimpings. it can crush anything :-)

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 806
you can use channellocks also but it will take some muscle only do this if you alreayd ran the wire other wise go with a vise

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
my bad yall that wasnt wut i was talkin about. i was talkin about the ring u put on the wire to screw it to the chassis or hook it to a bat or cap. i have some good tools to crimp the connectors. the only connectors i have will only fit 4 guage wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
if the terminalis really hard to crimp that prolly means it is designed to be soldered.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us