Fiberglass vs carbonfiber

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 890
ok, i know with both of these you can customize the enclusure, but which one would be better for 10w6v2's? and could anyone customize the boxes for my trunk to take up MINIMUM sapce? like if i gave you something to imprint off of, or something, would that be possible?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2093
what kind of car do you have? just curious. if i know some1 with that kind of car maybe i could borrow it. but you do know fiberglass enclosures take alot of time money and skill and it would cost you quite a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 894
well my buddy is givin me 450 and i already have the sub. i have a Lexus SC300 1998. if you could do it how much would you charge? or anyone would charge

Silver Member

Post Number: 895
subs* i would need 2 boxes

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
anyone

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2098
your talking about a form fitting fiberglass box right? first off i cant do it i dont know anyone with that car.... secondly a shop would eat up that 450 and be ready for the main course. if im understanding what you want id prolly charge about 500 to do that type of work. its alot of work to do... unless your talking about something else? or do you just want a mold of the car and the rest of the box be mdf... id only charge like 200 for that, much easier as you dont have to worry about the perfect smoothness and roll of the curves. but im sorry i cant do it without the car...

Silver Member

Post Number: 899
yea form fitting box. over 500 dam... how much is it to get the suplies for this stuff, which one is more expensive? i can try and get it on my own, or my Grandpa can help me do it

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1812
carbon fiber is stronger and more expensive...better looking IMO too.
it wont cost much to get the materials...the problem is doing it lol

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2099
well you'll need a galon of resin $33
galon of body filler $20
fiberglass mat $25
primer filler... idk actually how much it costs.
paint ?? quite a bit for good paint
unless your doing carpet over it.. or vinal
and you need MDF too. $20

and lots of time and patience. you'll need to know what your doing. if u need them i have prolly 10 or more fiberglass links ranging from idk what the h3ll im doing to expert.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2100
oh and multiple kinds of sand paper.

Silver Member

Post Number: 900
so all in all it will probably be about 150 max?
im going to leave it blank for a while. maybe paint it midnight black or something. where can i get the matierials for them? why does it take so long?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1818
if u get carbon fiber...it will be naturally black.
but with the 450 dollar budget, u could buy extra materials and experiment
http://www.freewebs.com/greeneyscaraudio101/fiberglassingplexiglass.htm
lots of helpful links

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2104
well when you apply the body filler it will no longer be one color lol. it takes so long because it takes fiberglass hours to cure and a tone of sanding. its much harder than it looks. also make sure its good and sturdy, bracing can definetly help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 901
dam, that looks difficult.
image/bmpUpload
untitled.bmp (73.1 k)

thats what i want to do

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2107
yeah it will take you like 20+ hours if you want it to look and perform good. one you get the hang of it you can cut time dramaticcally though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 902
why does it take so long. you can't take short cuts right.i don't want any crazy designs or colors. what color would it turn out to be if i didn't do anything to it? houw would i get the cub feet exactly?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2112
you'll see why it takes so long....

and no short cuts....

it would be pink and brown or pink and w/e color fabric you used. so the one im doing now is pink and black until i paint it.

and i used shipping popcorn to find the cuft. i just poured them in and then took them out and poured them into a square box and found the cuft. you can get it at staples or office depot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1825
ha ha good friggan idea trev

Silver Member

Post Number: 905
im not going to vinal it. or should i? when i sand it, do i sand the inside and out, how thick should i make it?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2119
dont need to make the inside pretty.

if yoru going out of the way for fiberglass. i think you should paint it...MHO

and a rule is (unless its like a big SPL sub then dont even use fiberglass) pushed down hard with your thumb, if nothing flexes your good.
me, i add just a tad more just incase lol. add bracing. i used 1n 1/4 inch down rod for bracing. and the curved areas will be stronger than a flat area.

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
does it come as a liquid or is it a sheet? do you have AIM? if so IM me God Shaine

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2123
resin is a liqud, fiberglass mat is a, well, mat lol. you need to research this a little more before you begin. oh and wear vinal gloves! lol you dont really want to touch resin.....

aim is bucssbchamps007 i'll have to talk to you later about it. im giong to bed in like 5 minutes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 907
aight, thanks man

Gold Member

Post Number: 1826
does wat come in a liquid...i have sum knowledge of fiberglass(FG)

Silver Member

Post Number: 908
well the matt s a mtt, and was just wodering if there was liquid.

so houw would i mold it just push it to where i want it to be? and then put the resin on with my hand with a glove? or like a brush? if you have AIM im me

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2126
okay my last post for the night lol. tape off your car ( you dont want resin on your car) then first draw an ouline of where the enclosure will touch the car. (with marker) mix the resin with the hardener and aply with fiberglass matt to that area ussing cheap paint brushes. buy like a ton of them lol. i get 50cent ones. 2 inches wide.make sure no air bubbles are in the fiberglass anywhere. oh and dab dont wipe it on. also dabbing removes air bubbles. now once its pretty thick let it cure. not take it out and w/e whent past your line cut with a dremel or jigsaw or w/e. now take a strechy material or something ( lots like fleece) and rap it around it... oh before this mount your woofer ring. use dowel rods and hot glue gun to mount the ring at the height and angle you like. THEN wrap the material around it and use the hot glue gun to hold it. now apply the resin to the material until its fully soaked... let it cure... that'll get ya started. anymore questions will have to be answered by some1 else ro wait til morrow. night

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
do i have to use vinal, then put the resin over it? or can i just put the resin over the fiberglass matt

Silver Member

Post Number: 910
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to.jsp?eclDrill=3&TYPE=MORE
would that be a good site to order from, or would it be cheaper to get from like a store?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2129
no no no lol. you use an absorbant strechy material to make the shape you want it to come out to. dan gave you all those links didnt you look at them?

and for one job i would go to like home depot for the stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 911
the link dan gave me, it makes it look SOOOO easy... and i don't want to get the wrong idea... because your all tellin me its going to be really heard. idk what to think...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2146
its not really hard... its more like time consuming and patience. but its not easy... just try it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 920
ok, so i NEED vinal and the mat, then the resin and tape and pain brushes, thats about it right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 925
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 1871
resin
body filler
fiberglass matt
u will need like polyester or soething to cover the box base
tape
aluminum foil or some kind of painters matt so u can protect ur carpet.
unless u want to paint it then u will need paint

Silver Member

Post Number: 926
thanks '~DAYE£?~'. idk how to make your name so i copy and pasted it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us