RCA output voltage question

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 279
I am running a Kicker sx1250.1 mono amp. I measured my head units rca voltage and it comes to be 3.93V each L/R now because it is a mono amp is the L/R voltage combined or is it a total of 3.93V? The reason why I ask is becasue if I unplug one side it gets quieter so I figured they wouldbe internally combined and I need to set the input range correctly. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1125
not really sure, but if they are both just under 4 volts, when you un plug one side, you cut the voltage in half, which will prob cut the wattage out put in half, and not only that but you cut off a side completely. so it makes since that it would all get quieter.

but about the voltage combining, idk, good question.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 285
BUMP...Anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1006
if your head units voltave is 3.93V that means that your amp will see 3.93V so you want to set the gain to as close to 3.93V as possible

when u unplug one RCA, i dont know if the voltage necesarily goes down...but the bass was recorded on both channels..left and right, so if you take half the recorded bass away, you will only hear half of it.

if any of that is wrong, someone correct me....

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 292
I know that but what I was asking is that for left and right channel off the head unit,on the left I measure 3.93V and on the right the same. So if you have the same voltage on each channel when it goes into a mono amp does the voltage combine becasue the signal does? So is it 3.93+3.93V = 7.86V? I refuse to open up my amp to measure the voltage, lol. Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1007
oh i see what your saying

what exact head unit do you have, if you look on the specs and it says the voltage is 4V then the amp will see 4V

if it says the voltage is 8V then each RCA is combined and the amp will see 8

Gold Member

Post Number: 1008
whatever voltage you head unit says that it is in the specs will be the voltage of both rcas that the amp sees

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11214
each output chanel of the head unit is 4 volts, but the input stage of the amplifier uses both L and R channels for the input signal, so it's not really the voltage that's dropping by unplugging one channel, but the amperage at the input stage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1009
so when your head unit specs say that the output voltage is 2 volts, that means that you want to set your amp to two volts right???

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11217
yeah 2V or a bit higher if you don't plan to run the amp at full volume.. that way you get the equivelant of the full 2V signal at a lower volume, like say 3/4 of full, which may be the loudest you plan to play the system to avoid head unit pre-out distortion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us