Effects of bridging a 4 channel amp?

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 128
Are there any reasons not to bridge a four channel amp the a set of component speakers? Does bridging the 4 channel to 2 channels effect the SQ on the comps?

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 129
Is it better to use a 2 channel amp?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 648
That's the way I have mine. I went from a 100x2 amp to a 50x4 amp bridged for ~200x2. Works great. THD increases but it's still well below audibility. I'll take the benefit of a lot of headroom over the drawback of .1% THD hands down.

Just make sure you keep your L's and R's straight so you still get stereo sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11187
nothing wrong with bridging a 4 channel amp for comps.
just think of a 4 channel amp like two stereo amps in a single case (which is what they actually are)
when you bridge a 4 channel amp, it's usually stable to 4 ohms instead of 2, which is fine for components.. but remember it's like running any bridged amplifier.. so it'd be like running in 4 channels at 2 ohms. slightly higher THD, more heat, and a bit worse with SNR, damping, etc.. but nothing really audible in most cases. Just factors that come from the power supply working harder, or closer to it's limits.

2 channel amp at 4 ohms would be "cleaner" but if you'd actually hear any difference is another matter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us