I got my JL 1000/1 Repaired...(problems)

Silver Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 124
I posted in the other thread about a month ago explaining my problem... well my amp would play, but cut off at certain times, and i would go back and tap/shake the amp, and it would play... i asked you guys at ecoustics, and called jl and they said its probably internal problem...

well, i sent it off to jl and they fixed it...(received it monday).. they identified the problem, and they replaced some parts in the amp... and it works like a brand new amp (supposedly)...

i go to install the amp and hook everything up... but whenver i turn the music up it would cut on and off... but this time i dont need to tap/shake the amp to get it to work... it just cuts off at high volumes...

-is it because of low voltage?...
-bad grounding?...(throughout the whole car)?
what could it be...

im running 4 guage wire...

-car = lexus es 300 02'

help.. thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1116
its prob a power problem, see if you can check the voltage with a meter when it cuts off. it will cut off if the voltage drops below 10 volts as a safety feature. you might have to up the wireing to 1/0 gauge or 2 gauge.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 125
hmm yea i was thinking that too...err ... ill check it out... if there are any other suggestions dont hesitate to POST! hah...

thanks brandon... yo brandon how far away are u from ATL? heh...

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2590
hey ray how did you mount your amp. the reason i ask is cause i had a similiar problem. it would cut off at high volume. my amp was mounted on a piece of board and when the bass was loud it shook and flex the board so i used 2 layers of 3/4 mdf and mounted the amp on that. after that til this day i have no problem with my amp. i have no technical explanation for why your amp is doing that but mine was resolved by simply mounting it on something solid.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2173
First off, it's always good to see a fellow home-towner. Graduated from Redan High in Stone Mtn/Decatur (way back in the day).
I would say that it is one of two things. Either you're running your sub at considerably less than 1.5 ohms (which I doubt, since you say you've posted b4), or your vehicle's charging system is already shot, maybe from a previous system, and the amp just isn't gettign the juice it needs to operate. there is no way that an amp of that caliber should have the issues you've described for any other reason.
Exactly what did JL say the problem was in the first place?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1120
lol, guess the amp just liked 1.5 inch wood vs. .75

i'm down in stockbridge Ray, like 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic, which usually always stuck, lol.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2591
i know it sounds stupid but that is what happened with mine. lol. i knew i shouldn't have post that. damn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2176
Chad, what you stated does indeed happen. That's why it's not really advised to mount an amp to the rear of a box w/out adequate bracing. But that 1000/1 is an extremely sturdy amp. Interesting.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 949
i had simmilar problem with a 500/1 was a ground problem with the amp.. would keep cutting in and out.. they replaced the fins on the amp too :-) they were a little worn

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 126
hmm im going to try that -chad... i had it mounted on a solid board... but i go to lazy and didnt mount it...(currently screwed down to the carpet lol) i went back today, and it was kinda rattling... and i pressed on the amp and the rattle stopped... i dunno what that is but yea... it hits hard at like 1/4-2/5 of the volume up... but if i go any higher it hits then cuts off then hits and yea...

hmm stockbridge eh?... far lol... gwinnett county! :D haha

-JL AUDIO
Diagnosis: Testing confirmed this unit was malfuntioning. Upon inspection, the below listed components were found to be defective. These damaged components were replaced and the unit then passed a full electrical test. This amplifier now meets the functional requirements of a new amplifier and is in proper working order.

-Parts Replaced:
-Connector, Header, Female Socket, 2x5 position
-" , " , " , 2x10 "
-" , " , " , 1x10 "

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1512
what ohm load do you have on that amp?

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 312
Hey ray how much was it to get that amp fixed

cuz when i called them they said the place i bought it from would have to fix it....well never bought it from anybody.....a freind gave it to me....he said it was from a wrecked car...it still has a serial number and everything....but its rusted on the bottom panel...probbly water damage...(UH OH might not be able to get it fixed) but the inside the amp looks fine just surface rust.....But how much did it cost to get fixed.....oh its out of warranty

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 127
2 ohm load... hmm i think Chad Lee was right... i mounted it on the board and no more problems... :D yea yea... but lights still dim =\... it cost me 135 to fix... (worth it)... i called JL and they told me 190-200... hah bsbsbs..!... but yea.. i was surprised it cost 135... no warranty =\... theyre strict with that... but i think my cutting off problem is fixed... thanks all! -if not then danget...ill have to repost lol

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1123
chad - haha, not really that stupid Chad, everything should be secure otherwise the little flexing that does happen can eventually cause problems. kinda makes since.

Ray - good luck, hopefully that does solve your problem.

i just had to get a 500/1 fixed. some little clip came off and broke, talked to JL, they said i'd just have to get it replaced since i had a warranty through HiFi Buys, cost $49.99 but turned out to be worth it, lol. i just wanted another clip since nothing else was wrong, but they said they couldn't send one and that the amp would fail if i didn't get that fixed.

pictures below, of board with missing piece circled in red and of clip broke in two:

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5643
One thing is that the amps have a slew of protection circuitry.

4 guage is sufficient for that amplifier.

Low voltage is a potential problem. There isn't a stock alternator I know of that has enough reserve to supply the current requirement for a 1000/1 at high output. You're asking for an additional ~120 amps, while most car audio alternators only put out around 80-100 amps total, not even counting the accessories and electronics that must be run.

Bad grounding is also a potential problem

The other thing is setting your gain correctly. They give a good tutorial on this. The amp will kick into protection if the gain isn't set properly.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2604
ray i hope it stays working for your amp. i don't know how reliable the voltage meter is on my distribution block but that helps me to see how loud i can play it until i get my alternator upgraded. still looking around and waiting for an answer from Nate.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 128
cool stuff you guys... hmm yea i dont turn it up that loud anyways because of my alternator situation... but yea... hope it stays like that...>.< if not then they will pay!...

dang. brandon that sucks... but glad its all better heh..

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1135
yeah, got it replaced and its all good now. just need to get all this stuff off my floor and into the car, haha.

charging system is something i got though, lol, 200 amp irragi alternator, the car sits at 14 volts at idle, 15.5 at higher rpms, lol, its nice. didn't even drop .2 volts with system all the way up, 2 JL500/1's and a JL300/2

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 129
how much was the alt ?.. and where did u order? -brandon

Bronze Member
Username: Rmzracer

Bentonville, Arkansas USA

Post Number: 44
okay i have the same problem. When i turn the amp up or my volume past a certain point it skips like it was the cd. is this what your amp was doing?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1174
Ray - I ordered the Alt from Irragi Alternators on Ebay.

the one i got is a 200 amp, 110 at idle, for $477 shiped 2nd day UPS.

ebay store link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

Seller ID: trafficjamz
(if the link doesn't work for you)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2200
Brandon, what model did you purchase? i got a 220 amp alt/170 at idle with a 1 yr warranty (iraggi amputator model). Costed me 100.00 less. Then i added a lifetime warranty for an additional 100.00. Dom must have gone up on his prices.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1179
you should still be able to bring up the page on ebay.
its the "amputator" model though.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 133
AWHHHHHH moTHER F-ING!! SOB!... ok... gayness i thought the problem was fixed... but NO!... amp is mounted nice and solid... and i changed my ground location and everything... err still cuts on and off.... sob!...

well i think its not fixed correctly... IMO... i was testing it out, and it cut off again... i went to the trunk and i wiggled the power/ground/remote wires and it cut back on........... SO GAAAYYYY.... is it the amp? (again)... or is it because the 4 gauge wire isnt big enough for the "1000 watts"?.... even at low volumes it cuts on and off.. WTF?... help again... im thinking about sending it off again... JL SUCKS haha :D...

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1186
i'd say upgrade the wireing. to 2awg or 1/0awg
i have 2 500/1's and a 300/2, single run of 1/0awg into dist block, no problems at all.

did you ever check the voltage at the battery to see if it drops too low when the amp cuts off??

can't remember if you have and have a headache so i don't want to re-read the threat, lol.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 134
i just checked the voltage ... and its above 12... so yea, i dont think its that... hmm danget re-wire ahhh! i hate doing it... (posted in accessories about how to use a DMM lol, but figured it out)

what do u think it is brandon? ... if i go and wiggle the wires, it cuts back on?...

is it the amp again?.. omg.. plz no!.. hah..

hmm mmmm.... nice alternator... =\ im stock.. is that why?... but if its the alt.. it shouldnt cut off like that at lower volumes...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us