Computer Subwoofer -> car?

DPap
Unregistered guest
This may sound like a ridiculous question, because I really have no clue what I'm talking about. But I have a subwoofer from my old speaker system for my computer. The speakers blew out, but the sub is in perfect condition. Since I see no reason to waste it, is there any way I can put this in my car?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1340
first measure how many ohms it is, that way you know what kind of amp to hook it up too.

DPap
Unregistered guest
how exactly do i do that?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1342
get a DMM from radioshack or walmart, and measure resistance of the voice coil in ohms!

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 852
Is it just a speaker itself? Or is there an amp built into the sub (powered subwoofer). If thats the case, just run your RCA's from your HU to the sub and get a big power inverter so you can plug it in. I done this a little while ago because just curious if it would work, and it did for me. I had my logitech Z-2300 sub in there (120rms) and it actually wasn't too bad at all for a 8".

Bronze Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 46
i dont think u need to hook and amp up to them computer speakers arnt the best at powerhandleing u might blow it if u got an aftermarket deck i would just buy one of the cheap crossovers from wally world and splice it into one of the rear wires...since u said u blew thge other speakers that went with it they cant be that great so u would prolly blow em with an amp...no use in buyin to much stuff for a low grade speaker

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1352
well u would think he took the sub out of the woofer box. lol

if he is lucky the power rating should be printed on the back of sub with the ohm load. If his sub is anything like my pc sub, I bet it will slam in my car with a 250d !!

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 853
"well u would think he took the sub out of the woofer box"

Well I guess you have a point there, lol. But I know when I did it, I but the works in my trunk. Just took the sub (amp and everything built in) from my z-2300 and laid it in my trunk. Pluged the RCA's into by using a converter to convert it from RCA type plug to a headphone type plug which could be used on that sub. Powered it up, and it worked. It actually wasn't too shabby either for what it was.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us