Db increase.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 258
Ok here is a hypothetical question, if I replace my RE SX15" (loud as hell in my box)powered to the fullest, if I replaced it with a XXX or a custom MT engineered more towards an SQ with double the power, will it be louder? This is on the notion that the box/setup I have now is capable of a 149-150db. Can I get a 1 or 2 db increase? Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2229
IMO...that SX15 in the right box getting 1500 real-world watts on burp should do ~150dB.

my SX only sees ~750 real watts on burp.

As for the MT, David from RE audio has said on many occasions that the MT is the loudest sub they have watt-for-watt.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2167
Hey marshall. Compare the SX with your Brahma 10" if you could.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 259
Ya Marshal I was just being conservative, you know too many blackballers out there. This monster is real loud and I haven't found another person locally to say otherwise, lol. I was looking at the MX series but I don't have any specs, supposed to be extreme excursion sub, anyone heard anything yet, specs, price, performance? Thanks..Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2033
i think the price is suposed to be like 450 for the 15. and if it has the same excursion as the new xxx its 4.5inches P2P and its nominal power is 2000w

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2231
actually the MX is not a extreme excursion sub...the Xmax is only gonna be 22mm (1500wrms). (i think its kinda taking SQL void left by the loss of the old XXX)

the new XXX is RE's only extreme excursion sub.

Mikechec,
The SX15 is much louder but lacks the pure quality of my old brahma 10". I will say this, the SX drops low w/ authority...but the 35-55hz range just isnt what the brahma used to give me. When i had the brahma in a 1.6cuft box tuned to 32hz and played Gun-n-Roses, it sounded like a drum in my back seat. The bass was unmistakably clear, sounded like i was in a studio. The SX15 sounds good, but there is no comparing it to the Brahma's SQ (IMO, there are few subs that can!).

I kinda miss my lil Brahma 10" (and my back seat...lol), but i LOVE my SX15. That brahma was almost too clean. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2035
there you have it, the new mx doesnt have the excursion of the new xxx lol. but marshal which guns n roses song? just curious because i want some musical songs to play on my SI mag when i get it. so far all i have is hotel california besides rap music lol.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 261
Ya but you are not comparing comparative sizes either. You cannot compare any 10 to a 15, a 15 is just too sloppy regardless of who makes it. Now compare an SX 10" to a Bramha 10" may be a closer match? Now according to the brochure which is in my hand the MX is an extreme excursion sub using 4" coils, dual progressive spiders, rubber surround (not butyl foam) and neodymium magnets. This sub just looks plain mean not to mention the basket doesn't look anythimg like the others. I will call tomorrow to get the facts and see what they think. Polo.. :-O

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 262
Oh one other question, what is the highest frequency you have your 15 set at? Mine seems to be real happy at 55hz but seems to leave a opening, might have to put some more mid bass in..Polo.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2236
The MX may have a high Xsus (or Xmech) but its Xmax is only gonna be ~22mm. David from RE audio posted that in a thread over on the RE forum on carstereos.org.

My Sx15 is in ~5cuft daily w/ 50sq inches of ported tuned to 31hz. My LPF is set to 80hz. It sound great (and loud) in the 25hz-60hz range.

As for my comparison of the SX15 to brahma 10"...your right, its hard to compare a 15 to a 10.

Trevor,
Just get their Greatest Hits CD...lots of good song on there.
Paradise City, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Welcome to the Jungle :-)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 263
You guys are just kids, I remember when the music first came out, lol I had just got my first car (1972 Plymouth satellite, 383ci) and I only paid $275 for it because the old man who just rebuilt the motor had a stroke and couldn't drive anymore. I miss them bench seats, you could lay across them in the front and the back. Polo..

PS-just download there songs, why buy, WHAT IS A CD?LOL :-O

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2237
Oh...and try a lil Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Under the Bridge, Scar Tissue, Otherside

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2238
Polo...you can download em, there there will be a noticable difference in the SQ of an MP3 compared to a WAV file.

All my bought CD's sound alot better than my burned one (and i got ALOT of burned ones :-))

Gold Member

Post Number: 2168
"Ya but you are not comparing comparative sizes either. You cannot compare any 10 to a 15, a 15 is just too sloppy regardless of who makes it."

Keep in mind that the key determinant of transient response is inductance, not moving mass or displacement. So, it's a matter of how quickly current can be sent through the VC, and then be released. This is why subs w/smaller coils (not cone area) typically yield a lower inductance. I.e., the current in a 2.5" VC isn't likely held as long as it is in say a 4" VC.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2169
"That brahma was almost too clean."

Agreed.
It'll either make you a strict SQ guy, or chase you away to a more SPL oriented driver:-)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2242
yeap...i know what your talking about mikechec.

but also, its hard to compare an XBL^2 sub to a overhung (i think) sub.

(aren't SX's overhung?...i cant remember, and i own one...lmao!)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2243

quote:

It'll either make you a strict SQ guy, or chase you away to a more SPL oriented driver

yep...i loved the brahma, but i went in the SPL direction after i sold it.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2244
oh yea...polo...you metered that SX15 yet???
and what amp you running?

Bronze Member
Username: __nick__

Post Number: 12
I have 2 ALpine Type R 12"s, they are 4ohms dual voice coil. Can they handle the power of a Hifonics Hifonics BX 1505D amp. the subs are 1500 peak and 500 rms each. the amp would run at 1500x1 at 1 ohm. DO you think this is well matched or is the amp too powerful?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2246
yep...decent match (that hifonics amp is a little over rated....prolly give ya ~1200-1300wrms)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1318
"Keep in mind that the key determinant of transient response is inductance, not moving mass or displacement. So, it's a matter of how quickly current can be sent through the VC, and then be released. This is why subs w/smaller coils (not cone area) typically yield a lower inductance. I.e., the current in a 2.5" VC isn't likely held as long as it is in say a 4" VC."
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mikechec9 so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 15" sq is extremly sweeet, it sounds like a smaller speaker, SQ wise....

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 264
Naaaa, I haven't kinda tapped right now because I bought doubles of everything and only got half in,lol. I am running a Kicker SX1250.1 which has been an awesome amp, both of them anyways, hahaha. That is why I am looking for a power hungry, wh0re puttin out RE sub able to take both at once (like a wh0re). It is strong enough that it has given me a double ear infection. My doctor says that people almost always don't get two at once and asked what I was doing (didn't say anything). Polo.. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us