WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH THE 13W7'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_bass

Post Number: 46
my 2 13w7s are in a ported box pushed by a 1200.1 amp from diamond audio, i got a pioneer premier head unit, i turn loudness off and i even set the low end frequencies on the eq down a bit, then i turn it to 58/62 volume and i hear a popping noise in the subs, its only at really high volumes though, at first i thought it was the back doors rattling but i would open the back door n listen to the subs playing and they still make a popping sound, i had a few ppl listen to it and said its one of two things.

1. i am underpowering the subs majorly and thatS the reason for the popping sound

2. i blew a voice coil, i forget how they say...

i doubt i blew both subs because one of those subs could handle 1200 waTTS all day long, they are beastly, but at the same time im freaking out about dishing 470$ for each woofer to fix a voice coil

WHAT THE F IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!???????

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1086
well, i think if you blew a VC, you'd either get no sound or lots of scratching sounds or rattling from the sun itself. how do you have thoes subs wired?? 1200 watts isn't enough for 2, just one, so they do need more power.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 240
I think the only problem I heard of is the coil leads slapping at a certain frequency, Polo.

PS- Sure your box perameters are correct?

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 682
you should use that amp for just one w7

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1088
well, i think if you blew a VC, you'd either get no sound or lots of scratching sounds or rattling from the sub itself. how do you have thoes subs wired?? 1200 watts isn't enough for 2, just one, so they do need more power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
i had em wired to 1.5 ohms i believe, and i had it pushing one but it only gave it like 350 watts top n it sucked lol, i am saving to buy jl 1000/1s, so thats probly the problem for the sound? not enough power?

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
damn. all three of us posted at the same time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 686
i mean all four of us!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
i remember someone telling me before that, that sound comes from the subs bottoming out.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1091
lol, yeah Pelon, i noticed a typo, tried to cancel to change it, but it went anyway, then went again corrected. oh well

" i think if you blew a VC, you'd either get no sound or lots of scratching sounds or rattling from the sun itself
lol, blow a VC and the sun will make noises.

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
i dont think he could be bottoming them out cuz hes underpowering them by alot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 689
yeah, this forums all fu.cked up

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2224
If you are getting a popping sound...i will bet you $100 to a donut that you are clipping the h3ll out of that amp.

That pop is from a VERY clipped signal coming from the amp...i promiss you!

Quick fix...dont turn it up that loud! You are killing your amp and subs. If you want it louder, get a second amp and upgrade your electrical system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 696
yeah^^^ youre definitely clipping that amp.

try to use that amp for just one w7 and buy another one for the other. i dont know if the ohms will come out right though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
but does that mess up my subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 708
alot of people say it does but it doesnt. i think it says right here somewhere or on glasswolf's site.http://www.bcae1.com/

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1430
i could be wrong, but i wasnt aware glasswolf was the owner of www.bcae1.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 709
bcae1 NOT is not glasswolf's site!

its another site but i forgot the name.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5330
"i turn it to 58/62 volume and i hear a popping noise in the subs"

There's your problem. Just about ALL HUs will clip/distort near their max volume. On top of that, if the gain/level isn't set correctly on the amp, you'll be overloading it too.

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 202
"If you are getting a popping sound...i will bet you $100 to a donut that you are clipping the h3ll out of that amp.

That pop is from a VERY clipped signal coming from the amp...i promiss you!"

i agree^^^^^^^

"There's your problem. Just about ALL HUs will clip/distort near their max volume. On top of that, if the gain/level isn't set correctly on the amp, you'll be overloading it too. "

i also agree^^^^^^^

your hu should only be turned up to or below 3/4 the way up

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2017
yes, my guess on yoru entire setup is this.

your using a 1200w amp that those subs could take one of those each. so you turned the gains up too much and maybe even bass boost to make them louder. your clipping the hell out of the amp by doing that and the fact that your turning your volume up too high. (tune your amps to about volume 50. thats a good number to remember) and so your Hu is sending a clipped signal to amps that are clipping it even more. so even with suposedly 600w rms to each sub its probably like 1000 clipped watts and so you blew your VCs also. congrats on blowing 1500 dollars lol. sorry thats a shame. but atleast you leanred something!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
i actually turn off the bass boost, i think the amps gain is set pretty high actually..i doubt their getting 600w rms so regardless how could i blow a voic coil, on both subs that could safely handle about 1100w + and it does happen wen the HU is at high volumes, never at lower volumes

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2018
a clipped signal turns into DC current. this creates more heat on the voice coils. when they say a subs voice coils can handle 1000watts they mean the heat 1000w produces. but a clipped signal will produce much more heat than that. so yes, it is possible to blow a 13w7 with a 600w amp. and the reason it does this at high volume is because at low volumes the signal isnt being clipped. also, if there is damage to your subwoofer it will be more evident at the hgher excursions, or higher volume.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2019
hey marshal or isaac or aybody... does the resistance change when you blow a VC? what im getting at is if you hook it up to a dmm will you get a different reading than if it wernent blown?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1319
Trevor
resistance should change when you blow them, YES! If you do a check for continuity the voice coils should read OPEN, yeilding too no resistance! If you still read resistance, then suspect the voice coil to rub/scratch if its damaged already!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5632
You have to consider that it's rather easy to bottom out a subwoofer below the tuned frequency of a ported box, even if it is underpowered. If the amplifier has a subsonic filter, you need to use it. But regardless, a W7 has FAR more suspension throw than the voice coil has excursion. You'd have to work pretty hard to get that thing to fully bottom out.

Second, you are clipping the amplifier. Especially if the gain is high and you're turning the HU up that high. Any half decent head unit puts out enough voltage to dictate the gain being set below half, usually around 1/4 or so for maximum clean power.

Third, that sub can take a 600W amp all day long even if it is clipping. A fully clipped 600W amp is still only going to put out 1200 watts maximum, which is really still within the subs *thermal* limitations so long as it's moving. People have blown clipping out of proportion, it isn't the added distortion, it's simply power that kills the sub. 1000 clipped watts are no different than 1000 clean watts when referring to power handling of a speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us