Chassis to Engine??

Username: Bkoz

Post Number: 4
I understand the Battery Negative to Chassis and Alternator to Battery Positve of The Big 3 but I'm am confused on what the Chassis to Engine wire is. Can anyone tell me what and where to connect it to??? Thanks!! Please Help!!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1084
there should already be a wire, prob more then one, going from the engine block to the chassis. you just want to hook a larger wire from someplace on the engine block to the chassis.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 737
A common place to upgrade this wire, is simply your alternators ground bolt, to negative post on your battery.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 599
block to chassis often doesn't look like a regular wire. It's typically just a braided strap. It can be hard to find - on my car it's attached at the very back of the engine around where the trans bolts on, and it's grounded to the firewall.

IMO it's not nearly as important an upgrade as the alt output and battery (-).

Silver Member

Post Number: 741
Hmm...it's not as important as the other two, sure.. But it's also your alternators ground.. That's why instead of doing an upgraded engine to chasis, I just do a wire from a ground bolt to my negative terminal..which in turn also does the same thing as upgrading my engine to chasis..

Seth

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1303
^^^ X2
batt neg 2 alternator casing!!

my car has big 3 4ga & big 4 0ga!

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
I have one of those happy little green stickers on my alt too, lol.

Post Number: 6
Does it matter if the Chassis to Engine wire is longer then 3ft.??

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 607
just keep it as short as reasonably possible. A foot or two here and there isn't going to have a significant impact on overall resistance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
John Smith - the larger gauge wire you use, the longer it can be with the same (or less) resistance. It's not really the length of wire that matters, it's the overall resistance of the wire. (i.e. it'd be better to use 20 feet of 0 gauge, than a foot of 18 gauge)

Silver Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 134
Do you need to fuse the wire going from your alt to your batt? i see that B doesn't have one with his HO and i don't wanna overload my batt..

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
Batteries are capable of taking any amperage load - as long as the voltage does not exceed the max listed in the batteries specs. (i.e. for optima's, it's 15v)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11206
chassis to block is your alternator's ground wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Does it make any difference if you hook your alt ground to your battery though?

Silver Member

Post Number: 764
Jay B, if you use your alternators ground point, and connect that to your battery, it'll be like an engine to chasis, but better, actually.. as you're cutting out the chassis to go to your batteries neg.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Alright, thanks for the reply

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11209
you still need to connect the block to chassis. period. otherwise things like your ignition system have no ground.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I am still a little confused on the Chassis to Block there are 2 wires coming off of my alt., one to positive Battery post and the other i don't know what it is. Is the other wire the ground? I understand you connect one end of the wire to the chassis and i'm not sure where to connect the other end. Does it go to the mounting bracket that holds the alt.???
Thanks any help would be helpful!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
I got another ?, If your stock wiring could handle the voltage and amperage, when you upgrade, why does it send more voltage/amperage, would it just be better grounds? this is all being stock, sept for my battery...

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11216
if the alternator is stock, the 'big 3' really isn't any benefit to change. You change them if stock wiring is worn and frayed, or if you have a larger alternator capable of higher current delivery.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I am still a little confused on the Chassis to Block there are 2 wires coming off of my alt., one to positive Battery post and the other i don't know what it is. Is the other wire the ground? I understand you connect one end of the wire to the chassis and i'm not sure where to connect the other end. Does it go to the mounting bracket that holds the alt.???
Thanks any help would be helpful!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 767
Actually, your chassis to block can be surpassed by just doing a block to neg on the battery. This is even more ideal (assuming you're using a decent gauge wire) because copper wire can in general carry more current than the same distance of your cars chassis.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i'm confused on what the block is. This may sound stupid (sorry) but what is the block??? Thanks!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
oh btw, the other wire isnt a ground..I'm assuming you're referring to the one connected to the plug. this wire tells the alternator basically when to turn on. If you leave it unplugged, your alternator simply wont charge, at any RPM.

(think of it as like a remote turn on for your amps) In general this is commonly connected to your ignition switch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
the block is referring to your engine block.

Also in regards to the alternators ground question - the ground point is normally the bolts that you attach it to your engine with. This can also be used as a spot to run (for instance 0 gauge) a wire to your batteries negative terminal, to avoid using an engine to chassis, (or better yet, to simply upgrade instead of replace the part of the big 3 commonly referred to as such).

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
My car is 10 years old, would it be a good idea to do the Big 3.. And my battery ground directly to my engine block, so i added a chassis ground. I thought it was kind of weird, any ideas on why?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us