Electrical Help!

John Cody
Unregistered guest
Ok heres what happened:
I was driving around with my stereo blasting. Then was gauges started goin crazy like the speedometer went up to like 100 and came down. And my battery light came down. I lowered my stereo and the car settled down. As went turn the stereo on the battery light kept flashin and the interior lights would dim like crazy. So, I turned the stereo off. So, I went home and turned the car off. Now, the car wont turn on. I tried charging the battery but no luck...it still wont turn on......at first when I tired to charge the battery the interior lights came on but then they suddenly wouldn't(guessin heres when I blew the fuse)
Then after I brought it to the shop...
They said I blew a fuse and then i had to replace my battery(i think they hustled me on the battery)...what do I need to prevent this from happening again....Thanks (sry its so long)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2223
what and how many amps do you have? do your light dim when you turn the music up loud? and do you have a stock alt?

i bet that your alt cant keep up w/ your amp(s) demands. you prolly killed your alt and batt.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1342
Lemme handle this one Marshall, as my car did the EXACT SAME THING!

Ok, short story is, your alternator is on the verge of dying and isn't producing the correct current. Most likely it's the high-end that is dying/dead.

The fuse MAY have also been a contributing factor, but the fact the battery wouldn't hold a charge means that the alternator wasn't even producing current to keep the car started after the charge.

If it's a Ford Dealership, well, it'll take them a lifetime to finally figure it out, unless you take it to a more advanced Ford Dealership where they have proper testing equipment...

But yes, I'm going to guess your alternator's life is also coming to and end...

John Cody
Unregistered guest
Ok, so I got the new fuse and the battery (the reason why I say they hustle me is because I took the battery out my car and put into my friends car and its started it fine--it had trouble but after it charged for a few moments and could start the car with no trouble)....as of right now I took out my subs.....do think it will be fine runnning on the stock alt (70amp) until I get the new HO alt? I really dont understand why it all happened? Is it the battery's fault or the alt's fault----cause if it was the battery why could it start my friends car.....if it was the alt's fault why is it running good---any why wouldn't the shop tell me to replace it....and also why did the fuse blow? So for all the questions but I really wanna know these things :-)....btw the car is 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.....Thanks for all the help

John Cody
Unregistered guest
by the way I'm running 2 amps MB Quart RAA1000 for subs and Kenwood KAC-8402 for speakers ...my lights dim when the music is low....and the alt is stock

John Cody
Unregistered guest
bump

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2241
2 RAA1000's...um yea...you need a high output alt....those 2 1000w amps along draw 200A+.

Stock alts are in the 60-100A range...ya see the problem here?...lol

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5740
i have i of those RAA1000 - has 3 40A fuses on it ....

John Cody
Unregistered guest
i only got one of them i meant 2 total with one raa1000 and the other being the kenwood...could help me wit these questions (copied and pasted from above):
do think it will be fine runnning on the stock alt (70amp) until I get the new HO alt? I really dont understand why it all happened? Is it the battery's fault or the alt's fault----cause if it was the battery why could it start my friends car.....if it was the alt's fault why is it running good---any why wouldn't the shop tell me to replace it....and also why did the fuse blow?

John Cody
Unregistered guest
bump

John Cody
Unregistered guest
bump---hopin Glass has some suggestions :-)

John Cody
Unregistered guest
bump---hopin Glass has some suggestions :-)

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN United States

Post Number: 134
register 2 dude
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us