Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 377
lol. you WANT ear damage?..

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2218
anything over 100dB can cause hearing damage.

1 10" speaker can be capable of 125dB+

4 12" w6v2's will prolly be in the 140+dB range.

Anonymous

no idiot i need to know what causes that so i wont get

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 865
then don't get subs!!! you moron keep your system stock. DUH

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 158
your stock sysytem can cause hearing damage!!!

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 344
how does that work marshall ??

"1 10" speaker can be capable of 125dB+

4 12" w6v2's will prolly be in the 140+dB range."

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2221
1 (average) 10" speaker can be 125dB+ in a daily set-up.

4 12" w6v2's (even in sealed boxes) will be loud. high 130's or low 140's daily is what i am guessing.

My 1 SX15 does ~139 daily. (@28hz) and it does 148dB on burps @48hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
i think the w6's would be hittin 150 140's they are good, and loud... but im not sure... but hey anon if you don't want hearing dmg, just do this, keep your volume on about 10 and you should be good, no matter what you get

Silver Member

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 161
keep UR vol at 10 and set the gain on UR amp to max (and sit in the trunk next 2 the JLs)lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
he wants 4 JL's though. i forgot about the gain. put it on 8 Volts. and keep your colume on 10 and make sure the subs are in a trunk if they are in a TRUCK maybe keep it on 5 so you don't dmg your hearing

Silver Member

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 164
I 4 got 2 mention that an Ipod can cause hearing damage!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 873
HAHAHAHAHAAHHA

Silver Member

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 167
its tru
lol

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1081
hell, anything will cause hearing damage it seems, pretty soon they are going to be saying poping open a coke will damage your ears.

good way to judge, if after listening to something, your ears hurt or feel like they have water stuck in them, then thats prob loud enough to cause damage, lol.

actually about thoes measurements, i say how many Dbs a system hits measured by a mic is for the most part a manipulation of the mic and not really what your ears receive.
example, remember that bronco i've mentioned with 6 JL13W7's and 6 JL1000/1's and like 3 or 4 component sets?? that truck just made you sick as hell, can't even sit through a whole song it is so loud, but on the Term Lab, it only hit around 148. my 1 with 2 500/1's hit 141.
theres prob more to it, i just don't know enough about it, lol. got something to do with phase and wavelength.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 844
^^^yup.......big story about that on the news. The reason is because it's directly on your ear drum. They say most of the people out there with MP3 players will end up with some sort of hearing loss.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2222
Brandon...

think i have seen pics of that bronco in the termpro messagre board. is that a wall of 2 W7's w/ a port horizantal in the middle?

the reason that 148 was insane was because 148dB is insane anyways...lol...but really, i bet those W7's did 148 at around 35-40hz. But, your setup prolly did 141 at 50hz+. Our body percieves different freqencies differently.

that is why your ears may hurt like h3ll after listening to 130db of mids and highs (concert) but when you get in a car that does 130dB at 50hz, it doesnt seem all that loud. (it is pretty loud though) We hear and feel different freqencies slightly differently. Sounds in the normal human voice range tend to stand out in our hearing range. Look up some info on the human ear if you wanna know more.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1341
Ok...over 100dB of the mid/treble ranged can cause damage/hearing loss.

Luckily the bass ranges, the human ear has adapted to over time. Afterall, the earliest "booms" we heard were those of thunderstorms, and we all know thunderstorms have all types of bass frequencies in them, at VERY high SPLs. Not to mention we can't hear below 20-25Hz for the larger part of the population.

The bad thing about excessive bass (60-80Hz range) is it can cause titinus, or ringing of the ears, when listened to at high volumes in close proximity for long periods of time. It's a type of hearing damage, but you still have te ability to hear, just with a HUGE annoyance for the rest of your life. It's caused people to actually commit suicide. It's commonly found in "muzos" or loud musicians who over the years continually turn up the volume as they slowly lose their hearing, but for a long time, they had titinus.

Basically, keep your mids and highs close to the flat range, but don't be afraid to let the bass range reach "Herculean" levels. Just make sure you're not doing it for excessive periods of time at close range, and you'll be fine. But you CANNOT go deaf from bass, as the human ear isn't as responsive to the lower frequencies as well as the human's acoustical memory is far less than a second (which has nothing to do with going deaf, but is why the ear is the most terrible way to judge sound, and why machines are the only TRUE way to judge sound quality, distortion, etc...).

Ok, that's it for me!

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 239
Sound pressure levels in itself can damage your ear drums even when they are not audible (below 19hz or so). I actually have been battling a double ear infection which has been killing me but I have another problem too, I CAN'T TURN THE MUSIC DOWN, LOL. :-O

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1355
Haha, when your ears are blocked, the bass bandwidth area seems twice as pungeant!

What I meant though is the human ear is much more adapted and durable towards lower frequencies than higher pitched frequencies. Therefore, what is alien to us, obviously can harm us. Now, we could start a new race of people that car hear up in the 18-20KHz range by reproducing amongst ourselves and punishing our ears daily with high frequencies...

Ok, so it's not a "good" idea lol.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1998
tyler a human can most certainly go deaf from bass, go sit in a car doing 160+db everyday for a while and you'll find yourself deaf pretty quick.

Anonymous

tyler really needs to go to www.bcae1.com and read the whole thing.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5623
"tyler a human can most certainly go deaf from bass, go sit in a car doing 160+db everyday for a while and you'll find yourself deaf pretty quick."

You'll find yourself dead pretty quick at 160db. Plenty loud enough to stop your heart.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1090
"you'll find yourself dead pretty quick at 160db."

that just sounds funny.

hey, come listen to my car, its loud enough to kill. could you get arrested for that?? lol

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 687
"dont make me get out my 4 w7s. i will kill you"

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 441
how do you have that many posts in only 3 months PELON?????

do you have no life at all??? lol

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 241
Pelon what dbs you supposed to be throwing with those four?

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 705
bassman, go look at chad's posts and go suck a dick.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 242
WOW, you can say DICK but not C0CK, LOL...

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1496
Wow, what an idiotic, immature, and pointless thread... Good thing I didn't read it all...

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 153
anybody got a pic/link of that bronco?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us