Looking for new HU

Username: Phlipcyde

Palmer, Alaska United States

Post Number: 9
I was looking to get a new HU for my car soon and have narrowed it down to three options. The eclipse cd7000, eclipse cd5000, or the pioneer p960mp. I like that the cd5000 has 8v preouts, but am a little worried about its security. The website says something about it having "ESN security" but I'm unfamiliar with that term. The cd7000 has a detachable face which is nice, but the preouts are 5v. Is the difference between 5v and 8v really noticable? If there are other headunits with the same sort of features, I'm open for suggestion.

Another question, if my car does not yet have a wiring harness yet what are my options for installation? I was thinking either t taps or stripping part of the factory harness wires and soldering, any suggestions?

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
I was considering the new eclipse units, but there is no way that I'm going to put a unit like that in my car if it does not have a detachable face.

"ESN security" means that when it is disconnected from a power supply, it automatically goes into a special secure mode. The only way to deactivate this mode is to insert a CD with a code burned onto it. Thus, if some thief steals the head unit there is no way that he will be able to use it, because he won't have the deactivation CD and eclipse won't give it out to him either.

HOWEVER...so the thief steals your head unit and he finds out later on that he can't use it. For all practical purposes, it is a very expensive paper-weight. What good does "ESN security" do for you at that point if your driver-side window is busted out, the plastic trim around your stereo is all torn up, and your head unit is missing? Unless a thief is smart enough to know that an eclipse unit cannot be resold, then there is no deterrent value. Personally, I don't think thieves are that smart, otherwise they would be doing something better with their lives than ripping off car stereos.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us