Speaker wire

Silver Member
Username: Yamahabanshee1

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 301
Ok guys I got some 16gauge speaker wire but the actual wire part is smaller then my 18gauge but the casing on the 16gauge is bigger! Which should I use inside my box and from my amp to my terminals and to run short wires on my DVC subs to wire them into a 2ohm. My amp is Audiobahn A8002T amp and 2 12" Fusion PowerPlant subs. Should i use one of these 2 or go get 12?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1958
i personally use 8 ga for my subs.... i reccomend using 12 though.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1335
Trevor...You're telling him to use 8 AWG wire for just connecting the subs to the TERMINALS? That's a bit of an overkill...They use 8 AWG and lower for just getting the power to the amp!

12-16 is plenty.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1275
i use 10awg for my subs and 14awg for speakers.

ChichNchonG
Unregistered guest
A cheap and easy way to get thick wire to wire your subs and anything that is going to be inside of the box not showing is to go to the dollar store or anycheap place and buy a cheap extension cord and cut the ends off and use that as wire for your speakers inside. I dont recommend it from your amp to the speakers becuase it looks horrible go with the 12 or 14 guage for that. I usually use 10g for 8oo watts or more just to be safe as the thicker the wire the lower the resistance the least likely your to have a decrease of flow but maybe im just crazy

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1963
i did not tell him to use 8 awg. i said i use 8 awg. i was running a 1000/1 and a AVA so theres a little difference there. but i reccomend not using anything smaller than 12 awg for subs.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1340
CheechNChong, you are crazy, no questions asked...

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 593
people go crazy with speaker wire.. anything over 12, really even 14 guage for most people (under roughly 1000w), is overkill and is done simply for looks. 14 is a good size to use, but 16-18 would be fine too for lower power. but that's just me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us