Electrical system upgrades

Bronze Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 39
If I'm going to run a 2500w system, and only plan to run it with the car on, then all I need to do is upgrade to an HO alt(planning on a 200amp excessive amperage alt)corrrect? What I'm really trying to figure out is: are extra batteries necessary for running the system with the car on? I don't think they would do anygood at all if I only ran the system with the car on. Am I wrong? I do understand that I would probably need to upgrade my stock battery to something like an optima redtop, but I think that is as far as my battery needs would go.
p.s. I do plan on competing with this system.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1290
" are extra batteries necessary for running the system with the car on?" <<NO not necassary, but they can help sometimes, and with 2500rms, Ill get 1 yellow top with Excessive amperage 200a HO alternator! That amp can take 200a at full tilt, but I doubt you can sit in there, when that happens!

Upgrade the alternator first, it supply all the power while the car is runing. But extra batteries will stablize the voltage.

I listen music with my car on, & I have 2 regular batteries; I still think I need a yellow top!! with 200a, 0ga.. How loud do you like your music at idle???

Bronze Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 40
I already was going to upgrade the alt first. The excessive amperage alt puts out 14v at idle, so I don't see what a battery would do, wouldn't it just draw power for itself? I think just upgrading to a redtop under the hood would be the only battery upgrade I would need.

How many watts is your system B?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1956
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/powercalc.asp

with 2500wrms you may even want to think about a 250A alternator. thats what im going to get one of these days form excessive amperage

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1296
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/190665.html
It was like 1400 rms, & I like it LOUD. Im soon to be puting 5500 RMS in that thing. So about 10,000 watts!!! with about 3-4 yellowtops.

" I think just upgrading to a redtop under the hood would be the only battery upgrade I would need. "
^^^ Wrong!, yellows are better than reds! If any i would put a yellowtop b4 a redtop! redtop is NOT a deepcycle battery!! <your gonna kill that like a regular batt!

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1297
ohh, & listen to Trevor, the Kinetik batteries kill Optima anyday! Maybe he find 1 cheap!

Bronze Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 41
Could I just replace my stock starting battery with a yellowtop and that be the only battery I need or would I need another battery?

Anonymous

Just get a redtop as a starting battery and a extra yellowtop that should do the trick......Hey where can i find a Kinetik battery cheap?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1971
on their site is a dealer finder. i lucked out and there is one like 20minutes from me. i havent been able to go yet though.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 550
MAtt i would Just replace the Stock with a yellowtop for now ... just get the highest Cold craking amps Yellowtop you can find
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us