Judge my setup

Bronze Member
Username: Goinglow

Post Number: 12
I just wanted to post this before I went ahead and spent my hard earned cash, but lemme know what you think of this setup.

All Diamond Audio

2 12" D612D2 (2ohms rated at 600RMS)
powered by
2 D3600.1 (600RMS @ 1ohm)

D661a (6.5 inch Mid 1 in.inch Tweet 100RMS)
set powered by a
D3400.2 (100 x 2 @ 4 Ohm Stereo RMS)

D651i (5.25 inch Mid 1 in. Tweet 80RMS) &
D651a (5.25 inch Mid 1 in. Tweet 80RMS)
both sets powered by a
D3400.4 (50x4 @ 4 Ohm Stereo RMS)

Also not for sure whether to get aluminum or silk tweeters??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5616
I wouldn't do all any brand system. No manufacturer makes the best of anything, and most likely not even a system that you would subjectively feel to be the best either.

As far as Diamond products, their amps are the best thing they make. Subs next, then speakers.

How much do you have to spend total? I'm sure we could put together a really nice system for what you're willing to spend.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
this is going in my show truck therefore i would love to have it all match, along with having an even number of amps for design/mounting purposes...this setup will run me around 1600

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 286
unless you're getting sponsored from them and they give you a good deal on it, i wouldn't go with all one brand. Plus I would go with some of the USAmps i'm blowing out, they get more power and probably cost less.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1954
if i had to go with all one brand id go with JL audio.

hey jonathan. i went to a shop that had ZRs (unnfortunetly they were closed and i didnt get to hear them) but the guy told me they sound absolutely amazing, until he turns on the zapco components, then they sound like a regular set of speakers, thats how good the zapcos are he said.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5617
Haven't heard the Zapcos, been wanting to. The SEAS Lotus References, IMO, are the best components you can get for the $800 price range (they're actually around $750). Perhaps irrelevant of cost. Detail and clarity is FAR beyond any conventional component system I've heard. And in case you're wondering what I've compared them to, there's my Dyn 3 ways, the DLS Iridium 3 ways, the Alpine F#1 Status comps, Focal Utopia Be 3 ways, Rainbow Platinums, and many others in the extremely expensive price range. Of course, you can go the DIY route with raw drivers and beat them, but that goes for anything :-)

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 287
I've wanted to try the OZ audio componets as they got the perfect score on some test and everyone raves about them. Worth a tryout atleast.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1968
man i just cant decide what i want to go with. i think 750 for one component set is just too rich for me... if i had a small car i would but im giong to have a component set for the rear too... i was thinking of maybe running a 4 inch component set and a 6.5 tangbang to cover from like 40-250hz. then i always fall back on the XR 3 ways. then i get more ideas. i just dont know. but i wont have the money for a while as i have other things higher up on the list. so ive got time to decide.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1969
hey jonathan. idk if you have them but if you dont the Lotus comp sets are on sale for 670 right now at www.mobilesq.com

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5619
"I've wanted to try the OZ audio componets as they got the perfect score on some test and everyone raves about them. Worth a tryout atleast."

They claimed that their component system scored the first perfect 40 RTA score in IASCA, but that wasn't true. Their sub was used in a car that got a perfect 40, but their components weren't involved. They are nice comps, though. You'd probably like them given your tastes.

"hey jonathan. idk if you have them but if you dont the Lotus comp sets are on sale for 670 right now at www.mobilesq.com"

I saw it, unfortunately I don't have the spare case right now :-( Guess I'll have to skip the baseball cap and pay $745 for them. It's worth it though, especially considering the competitors in the price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
um ya thanks for the suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3128
Jonathan, what do you think about elemental designs ? What is there best product ? amps or subs

I was looking to there nine.2X amp and the 13Ov.2 sub / Package deal of $391

http://www.edesignaudio.com/13ov2review.php

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 293
130v.2 is a good sub but I wouldn't hold it too highly. Not in the same class as IDMAX, Brahmas, SE or SX and definitely not in with the W7 or Stereo Integrity Mags. I would uy their amps as they're simple and efficient and make good power. Their components are tweaked CDT components using the same crossover but iirc they're slightly tweaked. I'd say their amps are their best products.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5625
"Jonathan, what do you think about elemental designs ? What is there best product ? amps or subs "

Decent product, crappy customer service, I wouldn't deal with them personally. JMO.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3130
What box was the 130v.2 when you heard it and what amp was it going off of. I was looking into this amp http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=17&pid=33&cur=USD or maybe the ED NINE.1

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3131
Jonathan, did you have a bad experience with there products or was it just there customer service. They have great deals going on at there site now. Ive never really heard any of there products so im alittle curiuos. But you just made it sound like i should pass on it. lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5626
Not personally, but I've known a ton of people and also forumgoers who had a bad experience with both the product and the cs. Enough for me not to say I recommend them, anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
so i guess ur not going to help me out here??

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 294
ED is one of those companys that people love to hate or just love them. No offense Jonathan but you should first actually experience the company before you mention such things. The customer service is actually top notch and I've never had a problem with them. It took them 7 days for them to receive a sub back from me(alignment issue) check it and get it back to my door. Not too bad if you ask me. Also i've always got my answers from them within the same day and if you get them while they're online you get answers right there.

Forum members can be stupid as I bet 40% of the bandwagon ED haters have never had any experience with them and only either believe what one person said or because one member had a bad experience with them then went to say RE and then all the RE users have something to use to discredit ED as a company and products. There are two things people complain about ED which now is very old and overdrawn. One is the old A series flatcone subs. They had a glue issue on the coil to the cone and with enough power would come undone, ED fixed it with the AE and the O series and only the A had a problem. As for the other bad experience, group buys have been a problem because either people don't know how to follow the rules and mess up and/or something holds up getting the initial order in from the buildhouse and people start to complain. But thats what is called a pre-production group buy and stuff can happen, but no one ever thanks ED for giving them their subs at such a good price when a group buy is done.

As for ED, its definitely better than anything found in most stores. ED120.14 Absolutely killed my Perfect 12 I was testing in SQ and output. But its no match for some of the good online products. My Mag 12 outdid the 16ov.2 when sealed. I used the flatcone 12s before and they were good. But for the money ED is hard to beat, the amps are good and make its rated power and more, they're tested/rated at a 12.5V. If you're on a budget go for ED if not i'd look elsewhere.

Silver Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 156
yeah word is the zapcos sound really good, but the guy i talked to on the phone quoted me like 500 for them.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5627
"No offense Jonathan but you should first actually experience the company before you mention such things. "

FYI, the majority of people that helped develop my opinion were close friends and fellow enthusiasts that I know. I've had enough experience to see the problems, hear the equipment, and tell them what their problem was, just not experience in the form of having one of their subs in my personal vehicle. So no, I'm not bandwagon bashing, just calling what I've seen from them so far, in which I haven't been impressed. A business is a business, people would flame a company like JL left and right if they fell short in tech support, or fulfilling an order, but somehow this is acceptable from an internet company that is trying to get it's feet wet? I'm not giving a company any damn leeway, if you want to be a professional company within the industry you better start off performing like one.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2034
neil, they helped you out in the beginning, they said they would not go with all one company and especially not diamond. although i think that would still be a great system although its not "the best". as for silk tweets they are smoother and metal tweets tend to be harsher. if you want all one brand i would personally do JL. they have amazing amps (slash amps) they have the w6v2 w7 and soon to be w3v3 which are all great woofers. they have the XR and ZR component line which are all great compoents. they even have wiring now. thats what i would go with if i were you and had to have all of the same company. but hey its ur money do what you want with it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5628
I think eDs decisions speak for themselves, though. If they built great subs to begin with, they wouldn't have consulted Image Dynamics to build their new drivers for them, now would they? Same goes for their CDT based components.

Sure, I guess you could say the product is better now that they got some good companies building their stuff for them, but ID is already a great value and have better customer service. For that reason, why not support them instead of eD?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
yeah neil, you are probably better off mixing and matching, if you are sold on diamond components, throw those up there in your front stage. I am sold on the d661.s, but am probably going to run a zapco amplifier with them. Still stuck on deciding the subwoofer for the set up though. I have been contemplating this system for quite sometime though, and have weighed things such as money and time in the system. Jl is pretty solid across the board and if you have the opportunity to listen to the VR's,xr's, and w6's, etc and like them and have the money, go for it. Basically, it all boils down to personal preferences, I had the opportunity to listen to the VR's, but the tweet was still harsh to me, so i opted for the silk instead. bottom line is listen to as much stuff as possible, and make your decision based on that, and the fact that it is solid equipment. just 02. cents btw johnathon maybe you can help you have that 300/2 would you go with that or the 300.2 zapco reference series, if you could do it all over again which one would you take?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5630
"johnathon maybe you can help you have that 300/2 would you go with that or the 300.2 zapco reference series, if you could do it all over again which one would you take?"

You mean the Zapco Ref. 350.2? I'd go with the JL for the extra power, both are about the same performance wise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
yeah i thought so. thanks for the input.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3135
Jonthan have you heard tang band 6.5 subwoofers that alteraudiousa is selling with that group buy ? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&AID=1457539&PID=440939&Partnumber= 264-832&DID=7

You think it whould work well for rearfill in a ib setup like a toyota camry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
going all jl would kill my budget 2 10w6v2 and 2 jl 500.1 to power them would run me around 1000 right there, basically im wanting to know what you would change in that setup. I am limited in a few ways as far was subs go too. They must be under 7" mounting depth, and around 1cu ft of air space for sealed, and these diamond 12s seem to be good for this application. You said their amps are good, ok, so what other components should I look at that would stay around the same price. I just talked with my dealer and he said for everything it would be $1500.

recommend some model #s please

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
329.00 jl amp 300/2
269.00 jl-xr's
409.00 jl amp 500/1
239.00 crystal comp 12
1246.00 for a system superior to the one mentioned above. mix and match it yourself man, but you can beat 1500, for that system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i need an even number of amps 2 matching dimenisions or 4 with similiar dimensions, and must be same brand

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
and your saying to run 1 set of components and 1 sub??

i want atleast 2 subs 10s/12s
2 or 4 amps
problably 3 sets of mids/highs (2 in the doors, 1 in the kick panels)

this is going in a truck

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 928
Best ALL around setup I can think of is an Infinity off the top of my head. Run 2-4 12" Perfect's off a couple of their amps, then use one of their 4 channel's to drive a full kappa perfect component system. That would have some kick @$$ SQ.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well Chris this is what I came up with, what do you guys think, I really don't need to stay the same brand, but I have to run 2 or 4 amps, and of course all the amps must be the same, both subs need to be the same, and all mids/highs must be the same.

(2) KAPPA PERFECT12DVQ 12" 4ohm Sub Die-cast subwoofer 400RMS Wired @ 2ohm load
(2) REF611A 600 Watt Class D Subwoofer Amplifier 657RMSx1 @ 2ohm

Overpowering these, would this be a problem??

REF7521A 260 Watt 2-channel amplifier 97RMSx2 @ 4ohm 142RMSx2 @ 2ohm
KAPPA 52.7I 5-1/4" two-way loudspeaker 2ohms 55RMS

WAY overpowering these...these would be for my kick panels, so I don't think it's an option of going bigger than 5.25.

REF7541A 520 Watt 4-channel amplifier 111RMSx4 @ 4ohm 139RMSx4 @ 2ohm
KAPPA PERFECT 5.1 5-1/4" Component System 4ohms 100RMS
KAPPA PERFECT 6.1 6-1/2" Component System 4ohms 100RMS

These seem to match good....

But like I said I am looking at $1500 to spend here, would this be a better system than the diamond audio system I picked out, or would someone want to throw together a system for me.

Thanks again.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2067
JL AUDIO $1700 unless i added wrong im tired.
(2) 10w3v2 $280
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-JL-AUDIO-10W3v2-D4-Subwoofers-NEW-06-10-W3-10W3v2D4_W0QQit emZ5870400394QQcategoryZ39771QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(2) 250/1 $310
http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-Audio-250-1-Monoblock-SUB-AMP-NEW-2006-SLASH-SERIES_W0QQi temZ5869879150QQcategoryZ79827QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(2) VR525CSI $320
http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-VR525-csi-COMPONENT-VR-5-25-SPEAKERS-525-NEW_W0QQit emZ5870592658QQcategoryZ32818QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

XR650csi $195
http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-XR650-CSi-XR-COMPONENT-6-5-SPEAKERS-SET-NEW_W0QQite mZ5870963609QQcategoryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

300/4 $320
http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-300-4-4-CH-300-WATTS-AMPLIFIER-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ5 868628533QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

300/2 $275
http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-300-2-2-CH-250-WATTS-AMPLIFIER-NEW_W0QQitemZ5868325 783QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then all JL wiring.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5637
I wouldn't do all Infinity. The amps are mediocre, subs are pretty good, not great. Components are again pretty good, but not great.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5638
But if I absolutely HAD to do an all one brand system within reason, I'd probably do all Alpine, particularly with the Alpine Type X components and sub(s).

But I'd still choose from the numerous better options that can be had. For budget component systems, the JL Audio XRs would be my choice. Budget amps, I'd get Kicker. HU, take your pick on ergonomics, I'd do Eclipse and Pioneer Premier personally. Subs are a toss up, but depends on how much is left over. I'd do Image Dynamics IDQs. I'd only bother with the front stage, forget wasting money on the rest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us