Who thinks i am screwed?

Bronze Member
Username: Shaun_whitaker

Post Number: 16
well i am not 100% sure at the moment but almost positive. i bought a sub on ebay advertised as a 4 ohm DVC sub. but i wanted the 2 ohm DVC version. well the seller told me that he had the 2 ohm version. so i bought it and requested the 2 ohm version. well i bought an amp that puts out 500 x 1 @ 4 ohms (kenwood kac-9152d). so i was going to wire the 2 ohm DVC sub in series putting a 4 ohm load on the amp. oh yeah by the way the sub is a kicker 12L5. it handles 600 rms. so 500 would almost be perfect. well turns out this seller doesnt have the dual 2ohm version in stock. and i cant wire the dual 4 ohm version in parallel. because @ 2ohms the amp puts out 900w rms. which is way to much for the sub to handle. so what i was wondering was. can i wire the dual 4 ohm version in series putting an 8 ohm load on the amp and still possibly get enough power to push the sub efficiently? or am i just screwed? i dont know what it would put out @ 8 ohms but im guessing maybe 200 or 250. so what should i do? please help!

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 133
Just set the gains right/low and it won't be a problem...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
sorry josh i really dont understand what you are saying man. can you explain?

Bronze Member
Username: Bulldogsm2008

Iowa City, Iowa

Post Number: 26
just turn the power goin from the amp to the sub down

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 85
at 2 ohm, the amp is putting out 900wrms at max volume. What he's saying is if you keep the gain on the amp set low, the sub will never get enough power to hurt it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
so i should go ahead and wire the sub down to 2 ohms and set the gain on the amp low as possible? and that will work fine?

Username: Manwithneeds

ATLANTA, GA

Post Number: 5
IT DID FOR MY OLD SET. I HAD TWO SUBS HITTING 700WATTSRMS AND AMP HITTING 1000WATTS RMS..I KEPT THE GAIN ON LOW!!!! AND IT HANDLED IT WELL.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 313
FYI: most amps are rated higher in (rms) than they actually are because most are tested at 14.2 volts(i think) and your battery/alternator is most likely not going to be able to make 14.2 volts for more than a few minutes anyway.Upload

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1270
"so i should go ahead and wire the sub down to 2 ohms and set the gain on the amp low as possible? and that will work fine?"
^^^
Shaun it will work fine, it should be ok. Its always better to be little more power than less.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
alright B thanks alot man. i just am a little to cautious when it comes to all this. i like to take care of my shiznit. and i would like for it to last a while. anyways thanks alot

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 116
You'll be straight, make sure everything is hooked up, just set your volume on your head unit to about 90%, or whatever the highest level you listen to it is. Start with the level or gain on the amp all the way down. With music going at max level in the background, slowly start turning the gain up, until you just start to notice distortion, then back it down just a bit to a safe level. Then check it by playing a couple other bass songs and see if the output is still clean. Then you are good to go.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 118
With music going at max *listening* level in the background..

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 602
quad 2's will get you 1/2 ohm, 2 ohms, or 8 ohms.

Most logical solution would be a big mono amp.

If it were me I'd probably go with a Lanzar Opti2000D for 1900w at 1/2 ohm. Be cautious with the gain and that sub should slam.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 603
ignore that - wrong thread

Upload

Username: Judgedredd

Post Number: 7
as far as i know you'll be ok...even better because you wont have to set the gains on the amplifier that high..let us know how it sounds!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us