Breaking In?

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineduder

Post Number: 13
What is breaking a sub in, and how can u tell when it is "broken-in". I got an alpine type-s 10" and its not that loud, its brand new, when it breaks in will it get louder? How long for it to break in?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1229
Break-in is prob more of a myth than fact. The facts about break-in is that the subs softens up over time the more you play it. Parts like the spider, the surround, cone area, all soften up. This will make the sub sound better, than a stiffer new sub. However I dont know how much louder they will actually get. Breakin can take years depending on how often, how much power, & how long you play the sub. I wouldnt worry about break-in that sub. If its not loud enough, get another sub that gets loud enough.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1859
when i get my mags im going to hook them up free air and play them at about half volume for an hour running test tones. we hooked up my friends 10 inch tsx yesterday and ran it freeair. its so quite its funny lol. but when it gets in that box its going to belch! although we had it warming up with like 100wrms . it will be seeing 500 when installed.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5667
Some1 told me 2day that running subs free air helps break them in alot faster than if in a box - is that true ??? cause i always had them playing in box & allowed them 2 break in naturally .......

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1860
a sub free air will move alot more than in a box with less power. so you can run less power to them and have them move more. as long as you dont bottom it out you should loosen things up easier with less power. we gave ti a 440wrms burp at 50hz for kicks and it did fine.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5666
I agree with B on this subject, breaking in subs are not necessary

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1862
i think it depends on the sub. it is obvious that a sub new is stiffer and it is also known that a sub can and most likely will sound better and be louder after its played for a while. so it cant be false, however will a sub blow easier if not broken in? idk... i know some subs give you coil stinks during the first 10-20 hours like the avas.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5669
Tru^^

coil stink.lol

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1298
I don't know if I had any coil stink lol with my Assassins.

But my trunk for a while had an "odd" smell. Maybe it was just that "new" smell lol. Who knows though.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1231
"stink coil" smells alot more in ported boxes.

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineduder

Post Number: 15
Its voice coils, i have 8 10" alpine types's and they have like 2 hours on them, golly gee they stink

Alpine 4 life

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1232
ohh by the way, Rovin you heard correct "it breaks-in ALOT faster". If you play the subs free air, at low volume with a low hertz; for about 20 mins or so. << that will make the sub do some nice excursion.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 220
If a sub let say an RE sx15 which has a VERY stiff spider (it does) it is possible to get much higher coil temperatures due to more power needed to get the structure to move. More power, limited movement can equal a overheated coil. I have noticed mine have loosened up significantly in one week and it keeps getting louder. Now my ID MAX's were no where near this stiff so I beat the p!ss out of them from the get go. JMHO...Polo..

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1868
no. a stiffer suspention would make it harder to bottom out, the suspension has nothing to do with how much heat the coil can take. atleast not to my knowledge.... the only way i can think of is that as a cone moves more it can pass more air over the coils...

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1309
My Assassins had a stiff spider. VERY stiff compared to my Volfenhags.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 225
no. a stiffer suspention would make it harder to bottom out, the suspension has nothing to do with how much heat the coil can take.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
Yes it would keep it from bottoming out BUT it will also keep it from full excursion which could also help over heat. A sub is designed and tested under certain circumstances and the amount of power handling that particular sub can handle is under a certain designed amount of excursion for cooling. This is one of the reason why a clipped signal is bad for a sub, it keeps it from reaching full excursion which can cause heat to build up in the coil, same for overly stiff suspension. A sub under greater resistance will create more heat than a sub under less, fact. Anyone can do what they want but I will wait until my subs loosen up until I pour the power on. If you are grossly underpowering a sub you shouldn't have any problems but if you are using power right on its max RMS rating then you may have a problem. JMHO... Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1873
thats why i said
" the only way i can think of is that as a cone moves more it can pass more air over the coils..."
lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us