Sealed louder than ported? Possible?

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1292
I know a ported enclosure gives a woofer greater EFFICIENCY, and a sealed enclosure gives greater POWER HANDLING (lower vb correct?).

But can two sealed woofers be louder than two ported?

Specifically my two 12" Assassins (sealed) vs. my friend's two 12" CVR's (ported).

I know he gets a total of 6dB increase for the doubling in power AND porting, and I only get the 3dB increase for the doubling in power.

But if you compare all the specs. as well as build quality of an Assassin to a CVR as well as the Assassin being able to handle more power than it's "modest" rating, could my subs get louder than his?

He has 350W RMS running to each CVR and I have 400W RMS running to each Assassin. I don't think the 50W RMS either way will help me or hurt him since he's ported, I'm not.

Just a little question...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5607
"I know a ported enclosure gives a woofer greater EFFICIENCY, and a sealed enclosure gives greater POWER HANDLING (lower vb correct?)."

Ported has better efficiency AND power handling. Only place ported doesn't have more mechanical power handling than sealed is below tuning. Thermal power handling can be a tad better with sealed, but nothing worth mentioning.

If his subs are well implemented, I doubt you'll be louder than him. Of course this is highly vehicle dependant, too many variables to consider to give you a concrete answer.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 588
yea, nobody can honestly say which will be louder... if they do they're lying

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 212
I have a sealed enclosure with three Punch 2's and I have a ported with 1 RE sx15 and the RE sub is MUCH louder and the bass really carries far. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1228
Same amount of power:
The same sub in a ported box VS it in a sealed box. Will be LOUDER in a ported box!

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1296
Okie dokie. Anyone know where I could get a good ported box? I don't think my box building skills would result in me having a good quality box.

Where are good prefab ported enclosures found (preferably tuned to 28Hz or lower).

Jonathan, does poly fill make the woofers "seem" to have more airspace, therefore giving some greater efficiency? I ask this mostly because ported might be hard to fit in my vehicle and still have trunk space.

Right now the enclosure is insulated on all four interior walls with a piece of 1" thick foam. Would some extra foam/poly fill help at all?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5667
www.klausaudio.com

Also im sure somebody on ecoustics could make u a nice 1

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1863
im on oxycotton right now so i dont think id make a very good oen at the moment

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1299
Ahhh, I love how people on here talk about their drug useage...

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1864
no i just got my wisdom teeth taken out today. i dont do drugs lol.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1230
"Jonathan, does poly fill make the woofers "seem" to have more airspace, therefore giving some greater efficiency? I ask this mostly because ported might be hard to fit in my vehicle and still have trunk space. "

Ported boxes dont like polyfill. You use polyfill in sealed boxes.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1301
I know. That's why I'm asking lol. I have like I said 1" of foam on each interior wall of each chamber. I was wondering if more would help give me some extra efficiency and power handling, as it makes the woofer "seem" to have more room to move around inside so to speak.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 224
I had a molar pulled on monday to make room for a couple of posts and a new tooth, lol. The roots were hooked so the surgeon had to break it up if four pieces and twist it out of my jaw. You think they would have knocked me out but NOPE sure the heck not but they did prescribe plenty of VICODINE, 2 with a pack of beer get ya goin for sure :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us