Alpine vs Pioneer

Bronze Member
Username: Bob49448

Post Number: 13
Thinking about getting one or the other. I know Alpine Rocks with no looks and pioneer has the looks. Just wondering wich one people like more

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3118
Pioneer is what i whould recommend to you. Alpine has gone down hill since 2004.

Pioneer Has stayed consistant. Pioneer also offers stronger preout voltages like 4V compared to Alpines 2V and the build quality of the Pioneers are much better.

I own a Pioneer Premier DEH-P860 and i couldnt be happier with it.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1023
i'd go with Pioneer Premier unless you can get ahold of an older Alpine, like the CDA-9813 and the one above it.

Bronze Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN United States

Post Number: 66
id say Alpine but thats just my opinion. i think they have cleaner and easier to read screens and are very simple to use.

whatever you decide to go with im sure youll be happy with it

Username: Bkoz

Post Number: 3
SONY!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Thunderforce

Netherlands

Post Number: 25
I would take the alpine, pioneer HU look very good but thats it 2 people i know have f#cked up their Amps with aan pioneer HU because it send out a wrong signaal.
We have tested the differnce between a pioneer and a clarion HU om SPL car, the differnce was that the clarion HU got 1Db higher score.

I use Clarion myself ik dont know if the sell in the US

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2667
Yeah, I love Clarion's higher end units...in my opinion they can outperform Pioneer and Alpine quite easily. And they are available here in the US.

Bronze Member
Username: Thunderforce

Netherlands

Post Number: 27
I like them to, there very easy to use and sound great. I have the one on the picture above

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 866
I had a 9813 for a while and it was nice. Never failed.

I currently have the 860MP from Pioneer and this last week the motorized face stopped working so I cannot change discs or take the face off.

The 860 is easier to use than the 9813, but the 9813 never failed.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 867
Which reminds me, anyone have any ideas on how to get it working?

jah
Unregistered guest
"Yeah, I love Clarion's higher end units"Pls define where higher end would start for say pioneer clarion alpine.Is it a particular price range or just their top of the line products

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2676
It's hard to define, but for Clarion I would say the DXZ945MP, DXZ955MC, DXZ865MP and DRZ9255 would be in that category.

It's mostly their top of the line units. You can look at any Pioneer or Alpine within that price range and they don't compare well.

Username: Coyote_5

Post Number: 1
I had a Clarion a long time ago and loved it.

But boy, their current line of HU are Fugly. Just ghastly.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1550
Here's my Clarion.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=317&stk_code=cladrz9255&svbname=425

I loved that thing. Absolutely the best sounding head unit I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. The imaging and detail were phenomenal. Unfortunately the transport went on me in less than a year of use. Still waiting on the repair. Not sure I'd recommend them as such.

Go Eclipse. Crutchfield is carrying them now.

-Fishy

CAR AUDIO TILL I DIE
Unregistered guest
sorry people to say this but i have been into car audio since 4tracks that was before 8tracks and i got to say that Eclipse is the best other than alpine... and the guy that said alpine only has 2 volts well if you are into high end they do have 4 volt pre outs but. and i have had them all pioneer to clarion. and other than Eclipse with 8volts alpine is my seconed choice. go to ebay you can't beat there deals on all car audio.So get out there and get it done. CAR AUDIO TILL I DIE.

Bronze Member
Username: Bkoz

Post Number: 19
Clarion is a great brand i had one before i bought my Alpine HU. Clarion is great quality but are quite ugly.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2696
Fishy, the transport went bad? How long has the repair time been? They usually provide fairly good service. They just barely shut down their Gardena location to open a bigger repair facility(forgot the new location)...maybe the transition is costing time? Unless a local repair shop just needs parts from them. It shouldn't take more than two weeks, which even then is a bit long.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 203
Hi David, my 860 did the same thing! I unhooked the power and it than opened once hooked up again. I than cleaned the contacts on the face with an eraser. It's been about to months with no issue's.

Bronze Member
Username: Bob49448

Post Number: 18
well just letting you all know that i went with the pioneer 7700. could afford the 860 after i got the subs

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3187
Ive had a pioneer premier 860 for months with no problems.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3189
Here is one of my favorite threads on here about Head Units. Will help you decide on a good HU.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/155561.html

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2710
MO, but only two head units are promoted: the CDA-7990 and the DEH-P860. Additionally, they were only compared against Pioneer in general. No Eclipse, no McIntosh, no Clarion, not even Nakamichi head units were mentioned! And what about the Pioneer DEX-P9? Why wasn't that thrown into the thread?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3194
Most people have narrowed it down to Alpine Or Pioneer. They are the the overall choice of Head Units so i wanted to add that post so people can see how the top models compared to eachother for overall value and performance and comparison. Besides i didnt start that thread but enjoyed reading and posting in it. I have owned Eclipse,Pioneer,Pioneer Premier,Alpine,Kenwood and i whould pick Pioneer Premier over all of them for the overall value and performance you get out of them and the 2 year premier warranty is nice. I have owned many of each of those companies and am a experienced user of HU's.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2711
But as far as quality goes, were you able to own any of those for a large amount of time? It seemed like you didn't have a unit for more than four months.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3196
That has nothing to do with the Units sound etc.. It usually takes a 1 month go get completely used to a unit and learn the features unless you are ignorant. I havent changed out since ive owned the Premier 860 and thats saying somthing.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3197
All of the units had great build quality and sound but the pioneer premier's for the price are alot better then all the above in my opinion. They way better then the new alpines for sure. The premier 860 uses 24 bit burr brown and so did the Kenwood XXV-01D AE which was a good unit but the Pioneers sound quality and 13 Band EQ gives it the edge in sound quality over that. The eclipse CD8454 was a great unit but wasnt easy to get use to and is complicated for the average user. Also the eclipse did not have the detachable faceplate which sucks cause anyone can just steal your deck without knowing that it wont work. Crackhead will do it in a minute jack.

Username: Pvduk

Post Number: 3
Hey MO.

I'm an average user, and was thinking of buying an Eclipse cd8445 or cd8455. Would these be too complicated, as im mainly used to Sony HUs.

On the contrary I am not un-intelligent, but posts here about Sony HUs would make me feel a little un-intelligent for owning one, lol.

I noticed you changed from Eclipse to Pioneer!?

Any advice?... I have a high, but sensible budget, so recommend away! :-).

Thanks.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2713

quote:

That has nothing to do with the Units sound etc.. It usually takes a 1 month go get completely used to a unit and learn the features unless you are ignorant. I havent changed out since ive owned the Premier 860 and thats saying somthing.

That's not the point I was trying to make...I could figure out the features of any headunit within an hour. I'm talking about reliability-how long the unit will last.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3204
Paul, I highely recommend Eclipse and Pioneer Premier Units.

I personally think you will enjoy using the Pioneer Premier 860 or most premier models more then the Eclipse. The Eclipse when used right and tuned right will give fantastic results second to none for a SQ setup but im telling you that its not as easy to setup as the Pioneer Premier which is user friendly when you play with it. I figured out most of it without looking at the manual.

But the Pioneer Premier sounds much nicer then the eclipse out the box from what i noticed. I liked how the Premier had just as many options then the Eclipse for a lower price. I liked how the Premier units are faceplate dethachable and hate how the Eclipes are not and use ESN security which means if someone steals your unit it wont work until the Eclipse gets a hold of it. Pioneer Premier comes with the premier 2 year warranty.

If your after high end then look no further then Pioneer Premier or the Higher End Clarion Head Units aswell. Overall you cant go wrong with Pioneer Premier. You will find it the easiast to use and control and have excellant sound quality.

Check out the Pioneer Premier DEH-p860MP on ebay or at www.electronicgiant.com

It can be purchased for $309 plus shipping which is a steal.

Many people on the forums will tell you its a great unit.

Any other questions i will be glad to help.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3205
Pioneer Premier Units will last a decade if you take good care of it. Most units will last a long time. To be honest Ive seen more people with Eclipse Units fail on them then Pioneer. Again I love eclipse but i like Pioneer Premier better overall for the price you pay. If you close your eyes you wont even be able to tell much of the differance but the Premier is what i prefer and recommend to most of the average users that want to start a high end system. Its easy to setup and the 13 band Eq on the Premier 860 is amazing. Very easy to use and very effective. Will give you the sound your after in your car. No need for a 1/3 octave or 30 band eq in my testing of it. It really fine tunes the system and it also has a feature that does a Auto Time Alignment in your car. All you have to do is plug the microphone in the front of the faceplate unlike the eclipse where you have to take the whole unit out and plug it in the back and use a cdrom to get results. You plug it in and just press the start and it will give you 10 sec to leave the car and then testing begins and lasts upto 10 min at max and when you come back its all setup and fine tuned to your cars acoustical environment. Very neat and easy. You will keep finding options on this unit like XM or Sirious Radio ready and I-pod and cd changer controls. This unit features 3 6.5 volt preouts for system expansion if you want to add amplifiers and subs etc...

dadummy
Unregistered guest
I will never buy another alpine again, besides the cda-9833 being a piece of junk, the company's customer relation skills are lacking, or none at all. got a cda-9833 for xmas '04 in 6 months unit skipped something terrible, cd's stuck in same place. sent me a refurb. now six months later, the unit will not take a disc.
send H.U. out three weeks ago( no fun drivin around listening to everyone elses system). alpine has had the unit for 2 weeks. they did not call or anything. I called them,
95 bucks for repair. the warranty expired in Dec. the unit crapped out in Jan., also sent the first unit to an authorized alpine repair center, they sent unit back in same condition it was sent in with,
I have called alpine 3 days in a row, trying to talk to a manager, place you on hold for ever. Take phone number and no return call. Tomorrow will be day four.
I am trying to see if alpine will stand behind their product.
Don't think they are going to.
SOOOOO DO NOT BUY AN ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

dadummy
Unregistered guest
I will never buy another alpine again, besides the cda-9833 being a piece of junk, the company's customer relation skills are lacking, or none at all. got a cda-9833 for xmas '04 in 6 months unit skipped something terrible, cd's stuck in same place. sent me a refurb. now six months later, the unit will not take a disc.
send H.U. out three weeks ago( no fun drivin around listening to everyone elses system). alpine has had the unit for 2 weeks. they did not call or anything. I called them,
95 bucks for repair. the warranty expired in Dec. the unit crapped out in Jan., also sent the first unit to an authorized alpine repair center, they sent unit back in same condition it was sent in with,
I have called alpine 3 days in a row, trying to talk to a manager, place you on hold for ever. Take phone number and no return call. Tomorrow will be day four.
I am trying to see if alpine will stand behind their product.
Don't think they are going to.
SOOOOO DO NOT BUY AN ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11321
sorry you had a bad experience with one unit.

I've dealt with more alpines than I can count, and always done just fine by them. I also worked for an auth'ed repair center for alpine (and other brands) and we were always able to get parts and access to Alpine without any hesitation. Now Sony, they took 6 months just to get parts for waarranty repairs.. we dropped them as a result, ages ago.. and they've only gotten worse since then.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 989
I have also dealt with both like glasswolf, but not much, unlike glasswolf. Overall I am more impressed with Pioneer but I have never had problems (though I have heard of a lot) with Alpines.

Username: Teamrf48

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I own a 2004 ALPINE CDA-9812RB and I have an offer for selling my entire system so I 'll get a new head unit for my new system. I am bettween ALPINE CDA-9855R and PIONEER DEH-P8600MP (EUROPEAN VERSION). Of course I can keep my CDA-9812RB if I want to. I 've always been an Alpine fan but this time I am seriously thinking going for the Pioneer.

What do you think?

The rest of my system will be made completely with ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER SERIES products as I am creating a 2000 WATTS RMS SPL competition system.

So what's your opinion? ALPINE CDA9812RB, ALPINE CDA-9855R OR PIONEER DEH-8600MP?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbass

Long beach, California United state

Post Number: 23
yeah clarion is good but gentleman you have to know that theres other one that can outperform it so be updated, i have nothing against clarion or alpine but im happy with my kenwoodUpload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us