Keep blowing subs

Bronze Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 20
hey ive gotten sick of this but i keep blowing every sub i throw at my system.... from dual to rockford to infintity..... ive changed boxes... ive changed amps.... but they keep blowing...

i keep my amp down tuned to prevent clipping... the subs are always 200 Watts higher rated or more than the AMP i use.... i keep the correct boxes for the subs too... how do i keep blowing em....

for the most part it's been the damn voice coils burning up.

but now i have these infinitys... with these i havent managed to low em yet... the wire keeps breaking from the terminals to the freegin subs... i keep taking the wires from my broken subs and saudering them into the working one..

my second sub the one that worked fine... the rubber surround came unglued from the frame...

im so sick of this crap.... can someone PLEASE help!!!!???!!?!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2152
sounds like you are overdriving and/or clipping the h3ll out of them.

that amp(s) are you using?
what kinda boxes? (ported or sealed?)
do your lights dim when the bass hits?
are you setting your gains properly????

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1831
id also take a guess that your too friendly with the bass boost lol.

my borther went through 4 L7s because he used his remote bass boost as a volume knob. runnign it at 18db boost was great for SPL for a little while, didnt take long for the coils to fry and the spiders tear....

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1832
sao the conclusion would be that the bass boost is NOT a volume knob lol. and take note that for every 3db you use as boost boost your asking your amp to produce DOUBLE the power in at its boost frequency range... i dont use any boost personally, but many say s long as you dont go above 3db its okay. given the correct circumstances...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
i think i am setting my gains improperly

what would be the nominal settings for the amp and head unit?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5097
first you need to find out the output voltage of your RCA's on your head unit. then you match the output from your hrad unit to the inpunt on your amp. say your HU is a 4 volt pre out for your sub you match it with your gains. on your amp it should say something like 150mv on one side and 4-8 volts on the other. now you match where your HU's output is up to that on the gain.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
ok i understand the Volts.... but Mv? milli volts? i never seen that..

i have hi pass lo pass crossovers a Db gain and a Voltage gain

thanks all!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us