Can I keep my stock head unit?

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 109
I have a BOSE system in my maxima. I plan on replacing all speakers and adding amps therefore I will not need my HU to power any speakers. Will it be fine to keep the stock HU? Is there an advantage to using an aftermarket HU? If I keep the stock HU I will need an external eq, right? thanks. I was hoping to keep things stock looking.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2661
There are gigantic advantages to using an aftermarket receiver. External amp control options including high and low pass filters, RCA pre-outs (you don't have to convert the speaker wires with a line output converter which costs another 20-30 to keep the stock unit), better sound processing, the list goes on and on...

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 110
Jexx, is all this true even if I use external amps? Also, doyou know what signal processors are and would i need one? thanks. i plan on using cdt comps and coaxails with two subs and two amps?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11122
yes you can keep the bose head unit. many people do especially if it has the NAV unit.
get a JL Audio Cleansweep. That adapts an OEM head to a custom stereo system, defeats the factory EQing for the stock speakers, and adds things like aux inputs for an iPod etc..
I think they run about $150
www.jlaudio.com

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 111
Glass, which cleansweep do I need? there were 3 models. This will do the same as replacing the stock HU? Is the stock HU really worth keeping? It does not have a Nav system?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1484
or an audiocontrol lc6 or lc8,

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11128
whichever fitsyour needs really.. keeping the stock head is up to you. personally I don't like BOSE at all, for anything.. but some people like to retain the stock dash look, others can't get fit kits to change radios when the dash uses a non standard opening. That is without spending quite a bit to fabricate a custom faceplate to hold a new radio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us