Johnathon, others info needed

Silver Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 126
yeah i just listened to the xr's yesterday, and liked the component set you were right about the tweeter, great design and not a typical aluminum tweet for sure, but I remember you saying that a great install is needed to make them really shine, hence my dilemma. I decided that i really dont need the navi in my 2003 acura tl, so until the factory is put back in i can live without it. (i was thinking about clean sweep). anyways they plan to place the tweeters in the little panel located by the side mirrors. They are an excellent install shop, but I was wondering if you meant by saying all in the install, you meant kickpods etc. It seems to me that the driver and tweeter will have a decent degree of seperation. anyways I have finally decided that a 300/2 JL amp will be pushing these components. I have also been contemplating the d661.s as they are getting good reviews, and people seem to like them on this site. as far as install is concerned, which will be pretty much using factory locations because I do not plan on kick pods or anything, which set would you install? I also tend to like a little bit smoother tweeter than the xr's but feel once in the car it can be compensated for. I have to make this decision because i have been unable to find a diamond comp set up to listen to. any input would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5579
"I also tend to like a little bit smoother tweeter than the xr's but feel once in the car it can be compensated for."

If you find it bright on a soundboard, it'll hurt you in a car, especially that high up. The XR tweet is pretty efficient, and you'll want it on a similar axis with the midbass drivers. Crossover freq. is rather high and the off axis of the woofers isn't the greatest at that point, which will also hurt the transition from mid to tweeter in a lot of door installs. Kick panels or angled door pods are best for them, but they can work well in stock spots.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3039
Jonathan, i plan on installing my CDT HD62 set in stock locations of my 98 camry. I hear they do well in factory stock locations. I want to mount the tweeter closer to the midrange this time around. I have them in angled kickpods right now but in my camry they will just go in the door stock locations replacing the factory speakers. You think i should dynamat the door since im going ib setup? Have you heard the CDT's installed this way and how do they sound. Thanks / Im thinking of going 12db @ 100hz crossover setting.

p.s. im also considering the a/d/s/ 346cs that james has. Do you think it whould be worth upgrading to that set if im going to do the ib install in my camry. Which will suit my install ?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5580
"You think i should dynamat the door since im going ib setup? "

Absolutely. Sound deaden any door, no matter what your intentions. Deaden as much as you possibly can in the vehicle.

Out of the comps, the CDTs will likely do better in the doors. I'd recommend you try to make a braxial mount if you want to stick with stock locations.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3042
If i install them in the doors. It will be under the grill of the stock location which will hide the midrange in the door. I won't be able to use the midrange cover. Im not sure if i can mount the tweeter right on top of the midrange but i can have it mounted close like they recommend.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 217
I sent you a PM MO but if you can i'd keep the tweet in the kick and still mount the woofer in the door. If you feel your sound is too much in the kicks and feet you should get the IEK set of tweets and use the IEk outputs on the satnet480. And definitely deaden the doors. If you installed the HDs in the kicks you didn't get the most out of them as they probably didn't have enough room to play with. Now that they're in the doors they'll be free to romp around.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3048
Right the bass is lacking with them in the kickpods for some reason. The bass doesnt hit me in the chest with that impact that i should be getting. I guess they do better in the door like your saying. I plan on deadening the doors and putting these in and hearing the differance. I plan to install the tweeter close to the midrage in my camry.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3052
Do you sell the DRT-25 tweeter set. CDT say's that will make a major differance from the tw-24 set. I think i will stay with the 480 crossover for now and just get the drt-25 tweeter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us