Hex or Focal

Username: Fastride

Post Number: 2
Hey Guys. I have an 04 Mustang GT vert. It Has a speedster cover that stays on all the time. I like the Hex600s and the Focal 165 alot. Are there any pro's and con's? Let hear your feedback.Remember that it is between hex and focal only. Thanks Dan

Silver Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 176
the hex's are VERY nice, i would take those over the focal any day of the week, but might i make a suggestion, you should probably look into the s600a with the aluminum dome tweeter, i know in a convertible that when you have the top down it will be loud.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 220
I like the Diamonds tweet better than Focals, Focals too harsh for my taste.

Username: Fastride

Post Number: 3
I did not like the sound of the aluminum tweeter as much as the silk.

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 223
all focal tweets are too harsh for me. I'd rather have two sets of silk tweets than one set of the focals to get alot of highs. I prefer the CDT silks, they're very nice and smooth. The focals can get loud but they're too raspy for me. The Hex tweet isn't my favorite but sure as crap beats the Focal. The HEX mid is pretty darn nice and get good results too.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5583
Focal needs tuning. If you're able to tune, they're easily some of the best tweets out there. If not, look elsewhere.

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 228
even with tuning they need lots of it. I used them with my Eclipse 8443 and a coustic XM6 to run them active and they still were too harsh and when they weren't harsh it seemed to take away from the tweet's sound.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5584
I've had Utopias. They do need some attention, the power handling of the tweeter sucks and low end isn't good. It's an on axis tweet too, off axis dispersion is pretty bad. Tuned and installed well, though, they're the most detailed conventional tweeters I've dealt with. I still have other preferences, though.

It's like having the drawbacks of a ribbon, with fewer of the benefits :-) If I want transparency, shimmer, and detail, combined with smooth sound, some LCY Ribbons would be my choice. Glorious treble reproduction.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3053
CDT Tweeters are very smooth and nice. I whould have to agree. I am planning to upgrade to the DRT-25 tweeter for my HD62 set with the 480 crossover. That should give me the extended range for better off axis install.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 319
i meltd my hex tweeters

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2130
i think i would better describe the focals as accentuated, bright, and detailed.
not necessarily harsh. rather, just "not smooth" by any means.

Bronze Member
Username: Adgoodma

Boulder, CO United States

Post Number: 19
how exactly do you 'tune' the focal tweeters?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5597
"how exactly do you 'tune' the focal tweeters?"

Crossover settings and equalization. Particularly in lower treble frequencies for those tweets. Excellent detail from the tweets, they're just quirky to work with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us