8 volts

Bronze Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 24
ok i notice that my capitator was readin 8 sumthin volts then i turnd da system down all the way it went bac up to 13volts or w/e then as soon as i turnd it up went back around 8 volts anit that bad

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 937
that sounds real bad, you will be clipping the hell outta your subs while you do that too. How big is your amp and wiring?

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 35
its just 10g wire an a pioneer 760w amp but b4 its was normal an now its like that but the car might need a battery cause the car doesnt start liek it should it takes a lil bit 2 start thats what i think its readin 8 cause i need power wich the car anit got

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10968
760 watts.
you need 4 gauge wire, and probably a bigger alternator.
you need the same size wire for ground and positive, and ground should be to sanded bare metal.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10969
note the battery could be damaged as well.
8 volts indicates a bad cell.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 37
myb 8

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 38
i dnt care i ll b takin it out soon an goin 2 put in the firebird wit 8g power wire with pioneer amp wit 8g power an 8g ground so it will b better

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 39
i dnt care i ll b takin it out soon an goin 2 put in the firebird wit 8g power wire with pioneer amp wit 8g power an 8g ground so it will b better an it has 2 be the alt. an battery in that car cause the car esnt start well lol

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 44
o an the amp is only drawin 60amps

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 538
before we go recommending spending $X00 on an alt you may not need...

Can you give us the model number of the amp??

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 51
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=GM5100T5.264

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 541
thanks
That amp is capable of 380w - the 760 is a max rating and for all intents and purposes is meaningless.
Unless your alternator is a hamster wheel you should have no problem whatsoever running that amp - or 2 of them for that matter.

10 ga wire isn't ideal, but there is no reason for it to be causing your problem.

If I had to guess I'd say it's just a bad connection somewhere. I would also use a DMM double check the cap's voltage gauge to make sure it's reading accurately.

Since the voltage is high w/o the system on it's almost certain you just have a bad connection somewhere between the batt (+) and chassis (-) in the amp's power circuit. Maybe a partially blown fuse?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 542
FWIW - it's not likely your amp is drawing more than about 15A to play music at moderate to high volume.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 52
it wasnt like this b4 i just noticed it yesterday after i turn it down it gos back up 2 13volts i dunno i b takin it out soon an goin in a diffrent car
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us