HO alternator Questions

Username: P_f_t

Post Number: 7
How many amps would i need to run say a Kx2500.1?

How involved of a project would this be?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10927
2500 watts?

(2500/12)*1.2 = current draw of amplifier.

current draw of amp + peak output of stock alternator = size of H.O. alternator you want to install.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 527
Is the 1.2 supposed to account for efficiency?

Why should peak stock alt current be added?

Post Number: 9
i read that you have to change your "main charging wire" to a lower gauge.

Sounds like only 1 wire needs to be changed, am i right?

it sounds pretty easy, is it difficult?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10943
ok, in order:
Opti;
yes 2500 watts it'd be class D almost for sure, so 80% efficient.. 250A at peak output.
you take the combined current draw of the amplifiers used, and add that to the hot rating of your stock alternator, since with many cars, the stock alternator is just enough to handle all of the OEM demands on the car (computers, AC, lights, ignition system, etc) and that's the peak amount of current you'll need to supply, to be conservative.
If you know you won't be burping the system in SPL events, or running everything at full volume, you can reduce the alternator size accordingly, since every time you halve the volume level audibly from full/peak, you decrease current draw by about a factor of 10X.

Lee;
you'll need to change the "big 3" which is the engine to chassis ground wire, the alternator-to-battery positive line, and the battery ground line. You'll also want large gauge cable from battery + to the amplifier location where you can reduce it through a distribution block at the amp(s).

the biggest effort is usually mounting/swapping the alternator itself, and shoving large gauge cable through the firewall and routing it so it's not seen.
knukonceptz and some others have "flat" large power and ground cable now so it's easier to route under carpet, too.

Post Number: 10
Would my local GM dealer sell HO alts. and know how to install them?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10971
no. talk to a starter and alternator shop, or someone online like www.excessiveamperage.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ok one last question :-)

after looking around for a bit i found this one http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=highoutputalterna tors&uid=10880&returnURL=http%3A//www.4alterstart.com/highoutputalternators

would something like this be able to run a Kx2500.1?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us