Ipod STRAIGHT to amp

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 181
my pioneer premier cd player broke, and i can't send it in for warranty becuase i have no reciept and i bought it on ebay. So i had this idea, i hooked up my freinds portable cd player directly to my amps, one amp runs my door speakers, one runs my sub. And it worked great, just had to turn the gain all the way up. So im considering buying an ipod and using that as my cd player, by hooking it up directly to my amps. But my main concern lies here, i know my pioneer cd player had a 4 volt pre amp. Most cheap cd players put out 2 volts. What kind of voltage will i be getting from the headphone jack of an ipod, and are there any other reasons why i shouldnt do this?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2601
Maybe .5-1v from the headphone jack if even that. I'm not sure, but it's very low.

The only reason I could think of for not doing it would be control...using the iPod while driving would be a lot harder than using a head unit.

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 182
the control is no problem to me, i'm gonna give it a try. Is there such thing as a voltage booster? something i could plug the RCA's into from the ipod,and out to the amps and it would increase the voltage?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2603
A head unit? haha

Nothing I know of that would be practical in your case...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us