Car amp + ipod ?

Unregistered guest
hello, i am really new to the world of car audio but my dad is simi experenced with it. i have a soundstream xta360.2 360 watts 2 channel power amplifier. im sorry if i get any of this wrong like i said im new to this stuff. i have pro audio speaker connect 14 AWG and 2 pioner 5x9 speakers in the rear of my 1987 ford bronco and 2 alpine tweekers up front its a 2 channel amp and my dad said it would be fine to double up the speaker out puts ... i dono if hes right but i listin to him. we had the amp connected to the old head unit power suply but we soon found out it shorts out the fuses so its now connected to the battery with an amp kit.

Connected to the RCA input is my ipod. for like 2 days it worked fine till the fuse blew in the fuse boxy thingy.i changed that out and we got the amp connected the proper way. after the fuse blew i connect my ipod and at low volume it works like a charm but as i raise the volume on the ipod once it hits about half way up the amp goes to stand by and then power and then stand by and so on and the sound skips like a cd player would.

My father said it had to do with the head phone jake impedance and the line in that the ipod and the amp didnt match up. but if this is so why did it work for 2 days with out a glitch. well thats my problem any help is apricated

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5289
Your dad is partly correct.
With car audio, you need to watch the minimum ohm requirements. The amp you have might be 2ohm stable in stereo mode. If you double up on the speakers, it'll lower the resistance, forcing the amp to work overtime.
With tweeters, you will need crossover. Without it, it'll just blow/damage them.
Like all electronic installs, it needs to be done properly. The power connectors/fuses built in the cars only support 15A-20A the most. Car amps require at least 30A or higher to operate.
If you see fuses blowing, it's a good sign that you're drawing too much current/power.
As for your ipod, check and see if the impedance matches the amp's input. If not, you can always buy a device to match/offset it.
On the amp, there should be a control called gain/level. Use it to match the input sensitivity so that you won't overload/clip the amp.
From your description, it looks like the amp's either, not getting enough power or overloading from incorrectly set gain/level.
Never use internal power connectors in the car for external devices.
Visit Walmart or any car audio shops and get a proper amp install kit. If you plan on adding more devices, get a power distribution block. Makes it easier to share power.

Sceen-ster
Unregistered guest
ok i looked it up and and ipod head phone jake.. actualy i think any head phone jack is 32 ohms all the out puts run from 2-8 ohms so im kinda assuming that the input would need to be the same i dono. we have a small pre-amp that we treid to see if it would help

Bronze Member
Username: Adddisorder

Post Number: 33
i dont know if your trying to directly connect your ipod to your amp thats what it sounds like anyway.. but i have mine connected to my head unit with rca cables because theres an imput in the back..i dont know if yours has that but look up otherways to connect it to your head...then the hu to the amp...thats what i did and it works great...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us