XR-650CSi or DLS UR6S?

Username: Bigsim

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some input on my speaker decision. I want to put a system in my Nissan Pulsar hatch, starting off with just 6.5" components in the front and a sub, and see how I go with that.
I've seen the JL Audio XR-650CSi's on ebay for $199 Australian, and the DLS Ultimate UR6S for $299 Australian. From what I've read, a lot of people on the forum like DLS speakers, but this is pushing the top end of my budget slightly. Is the $100 extra worth it over the JL's? Thanks for your help :-)

BigSim1
Unregistered guest
I should say as well, I've never heard either of these sets. I'm going tomorrow to listen to some JL Audio stuff, but the only dealer inside an hour drive only stocks up to the VR line. I don't know of any DLS dealers around my area, so if I were to buy these I'd have to get em without trying them.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 518
I personally would go with the DLS and i believe that they are alot better than the XRs. Its your opinion that counts though. Is there any way you can hear either set before buying them?

bigsim1
Unregistered guest
Unfortunately the closest DLS dealer that I'm aware of is a 6 hr drive away, which is a little inconvenient :-(. I've found another JL Audio dealer, I'm waiting on a reply to see if they stock the speakers I'm interested in.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5545
Both great, but for different tastes. For 2 ways, I actually like the XRs a little better when installed well. Depends on mood/preference. Main thing I like from DLS are the Iridium 3 ways.

Bronze Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 12
Have you at all though about the Diamond Hex series ? I hear there fantastic and reasonably priced. Def better than the x series from JL but dunno about the DLS. Ask around.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5546
HEX series is ok, not all that great. Midbass is weak, midrange pretty good, tweeters are so-so. They're just relabeled Eton Hexacone drivers, not all that impressive. I wouldn't put them above the XRs or the DLS. Diamonds newer components are built by Morel and are much better.

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 75
Jonathon, can you recommend some good midbass drivers to be run of a head unit. I'm running comps in the front off a two channel amp. Is this a good idea?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5547
Are you talking about rear fill drivers to run off a HU? What kind of comps do you have up front?

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 76
Yes, I am talking about rear fill drivers to run off a head unit. Jonathon, I'm in the process of assembling my system. I have not bought any speakers yet. But I plan on running 6.5 comps in the front off a 2 channel amp and depending on your advice, midbass drivers in the rear of a head unit. So any advice would be great. thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5548
How much do you plan to spend in total?

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 77
I plan on spending no more than about 1600 for the whole system. I was thinking about 300 for the comps, 200 for the midbass drivers, 600 for both subs, and left over money for subs. Honestly, I want a great sounding system. If that means I have to spend more than I will. I'm tired of having moderate sounding systems in the past so I am really trying to research before I buy. I just don't want to be disappointed. thanks Jonathan.

bigsim1
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your post Jonathan. I was going to buy them off ebay and take them to my local car audio shop to be installed since I know nothing about installing them myself. Will they be able to do it "well", do you think? They don't stock JL Audio stuff usually. What difference does a good install make over an average install?

The other JL Audio place I was looking at doesn't stock component speakers at all :-(. Looks like I'm gonna be buying blind, so further input would be much appreciated.

bigsim1
Unregistered guest
Bump... you say they're for different tastes Jonathan. I'm mainly gonna be listening to rock and stuff, and I'd like nice clear (but not annoyingly harsh) treble and I'm not really sure what midbass is, but good that too :D. If I were to buy one of these component sets, I'd like to run a JL 12w3v2 sub with it, but I don't know anything about amplification so I need a little help in that department.

If it can be avoided, I'd like to only get one amp, but like I say, I'm not sure how it all works. If anyone has some ideas or suggestions on amps or better pieces for my system, (I want strictly SQ, I don't care how loud it gets, within reason) please help, I would like to have everything sorted before I start throwing around my hard-earned. Thanks guys!

Big Sim
Unregistered guest
what about the UR6S versus the UR6, the UP6 and the XR-650CSi?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us