My first system, help would be greatly appreciated

Username: Serendipity

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

First of all, here are my goals: clear, high fidelity sound quality for trance, classical, rap, and rock. High sound volume is not a necessity. Basically, I recently purchased some equipment from a friend and installed the head unit, front, and rear speaker setups. I still have a sub to install, but now I am having second thoughts.

I am in search of recommendations from generous car audio experts. (my current system is listed near the end of my posting) General recommendations are welcome and here are some of my main questions:
1. Would my sound quality improve if I purchased a four channel amp to power my speakers? (I do not need high volume and already have a 27 watt rms head unit)
2. If so, how much rms and peak wattage should I go for?
3. Any product recommendations? The Profile Profile HA 1040 seems like it might be perfect but the price makes it seem too good to be true, any experience?
4. If I upgrade the amplifier, would the Infinity Basslink sub work well with the system?
5. If so, where should I mount it?
6. If I upgrade to a strong 4 channel amplifier, would my little Honda Civic 2001 coupe be able to handle the load? Also, would it handle the sub woofer's load?
7. What kind of additional parts do I need for installation (such as wire and wire type)

Here are my current system details:

The car: 2001 Honda Civic LX coupe

Recently installed items:

Head unit: Alpine 9813 (27 rms watts x 4)

Speaker Wire: Streetwires Ultra Cable UC12

Head unit power wire: plain 8 gauge electrical wire.

Front speakers: Infinity 60.5 CS (component system)
specs:
Size 6-1/2in
RMS Power Range 2-90Watts
Peak Power Handling 270Watts
Sensitivity 90dB
Frequency Response 45-21KHz
Design 2-way
Tweeter Design 1" Dome
Woofer Surround Hi-roll rubber
Impedance (Ohms) 4

Rear speakers: Infinity 692.5I
specs:
Power Handling, RMS: 110 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 330 Watts
Frequency Response (±3dB): 35Hz - 21kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Mounting Depth: 3-3/16"

On hand but not yet installed:
Sub woofer: Infinity Basslink
specs:
10" woofer and 10" passive radiator
Class D 200-watt amplifier
wired volume control with 16-foot cable
frequency response 20-120 Hz
low-pass crossover variable from 50-120 Hz at 12 dB per octave
speaker and line-level inputs
phase switch
bass boost adjusts from -6 dB to +3 dB at 40 Hz
20-amp fuse
auto turn-on with speaker-level inputs
remote turn-on lead (12V) required for use with RCA inputs
19' speaker-level input wires with plug-in harness included

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, if you have any questions that I can answer to better help your diagnosis, please post and I will answer as soon as possible.

Thanks so much!
Sincerely,
Matt

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1262
The sub will just add some "bump" and lower end frequencies that your comp. and co-axial speakers can't pick up.

That system with the current sub choice is strictly SQ, but at a budget level I'd say...Not that it's not good stuff, just not JL quality SQ (or anything of that calibur).

Username: Serendipity

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice, what kind of modifications would you recommend for my system? I will look into changing my sub choice. Also, I am looking into an Orion 8004 100 watt rmsx4 amp for the speakers. If I purchased something of that power, would I hear a distinct difference in sound quality compared with my current 27 watt rmsx4 hu? If I do upgrade to an amp of that size, will my little Honda Civic's electrical system be able to power this system?

Thanks so much!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us